Botched robbery

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have long held fast to a theory that Dominicans are some very smart people, some of the smartest in Latin America, tha main body of evidence for this being that how could all of their supposed screw-ups work against me unless they were part of a carefully planned and executed conspiracy? If it was just random stupidity it should work in my favor at least half the time, right?

Something happened last night that put my theory to the test:

In the wee hours of Monday morning genius robber broke into a metal shed I had built on the side of a building I rent and proceeded to steal some old dead inverter batteries weighing about 80 lbs each and worth about 50 pesos on the street. He did a lot of very hard work to remove about a dozen of them from the metal shed, had to lift them up over his chest height to dump them out of the hole he cut in the bars, then crawl out the other side and carry them around the back of the building through a narrow alleyway.

After he got about a dozen of them to the end of the alley, he realized the real prize in that shed is a 7.5 kilo generator, which he then lifted to the opening and attempted to remove in the same way. By the time he dragged it to the end of the alley he must have realized he couldn't get it out of there with all of those batteries he had piled up at the end of the ally, so he proceeded to toss them aside one by one and at about that point the police showed up having been called to the scene by an alert neighbor and I am guessing he made a run for it or else they let him go. (The main suspect, as gossip has it is the son of a local general)

The police hung out till morning and told me what happened when I arrived at work and I am just amazed that I still own my piece of crap Coleman generator, and that for the first time in my life here stupidity on the part of one of the locals has worked in my favor.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
In a way it's kinda funny how stupid this guy was. Glad in worked on your favor this time Mike. Some aren't as lucky. LOL

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I myself was the victim of a robbery attempt just last night. Different sort of robbery though, the snatch and run variety. I was out in the Colonial Zone shooting pix for an article about the zone, and just as the Magic Hour arrived (around 6:30 to 7pm) I was fixated on getting a colonial house just right with all the funky color that the hour has to offer. sure enough two jerks on motorbike whizzed by me and grabbed the camera. But I was prepared for them, I had the camera tucked in tight in order to take a long-exposure shot, and I had the strap wrapped round my arm two times. The look on the thief's face when he realized he didnt have the camera in his hands was priceless!

His stupidity lay in believing that everyone with a camera was easy pickings, and no doubt experience has taught him this, since most tourists would not handle a camera in the way that pros are taught to do. But given all the times he has probably succeeded, I guess one has to admit that he was smart enough to figure out an MO that yields a high success rate.

But the look on his face when he was foiled!! Ha!