People in need of nanny?

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Hi,
I've posted a couple of times on here, but let me reintroduce myself... My name is Ambre, I am a 26-year-old currently live and work at an ad agency in Washington, DC. I am planning on relocating, though, to the Dominican Republic in November/December of this year for a change in pace. While I am working in the communications field, I have an extensive history of working with children - over 10 years. Long story short, I want to work, as many do, during my one to two year stay in the Dominican Republic. I wanted to know if expats/people living in the Puerto Plata vicinity, Santiago, or basically any part of the North/Central/East DR are looking for a nanny - either live-in or live-out, part-time/full-time (as this is my preferred location)?

As I mentioned, I have extensive experience - while going to college (James Madison University in VA), I worked part-time as a preschool teacher, have also worked in another school, as an environmental educator or preschoolers - and as a nanny, tutor, and camp counselor over the years - in addition to many years of babysitting. I can provide many references and a resume if need be, but basically want to know if this is an option... if people even have/use nannies in the DR.

About me - I am extremely warm and engaging - both with children and people in general. The arts, culture, the outdoors are all things that appeal to me, and I happened to have grown up in an expat/overseas lifestyle myself. I have lived in Nigeria, Singapore, Dubai (UAE), Jakarta, Norway and the U.S.

If anyone is interested in having a nanny, or knows someone who is, please let me know.

Thanks in advance -
Ambre

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I'm not trying to sound mean but for the most part here in the DR you can either afford to have domestic help (including a nanny) or you (or your family members) are domestic help. There is a growing middle class but even the middle class tend to have domestic help because it is so inexpensive.

Great news to expats moving here with good jobs already in hand, not so good for an expat looking to come here as a domestic since the salaries are very low.

In my opinion there is a low to zero chance of your getting a job as a nanny that would pay enough for you to be happy in the position if it would be your sole means of support.

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Good to know

That's why I was asking. Thanks. If anyone else knows otherwise, I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I was a professional nanny for about two years. My advice to you is to go through an agency. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

You do sound like you would be great with kids. Have you thought of volunteering? There is a volunteer blog on this site--you may want to read it and see if it sounds like a good way to use your skills and see the DR for a bit. Also, undoubtedly you will meet all kinds of people while volunteering and by networking you may find the right job.

Last edited:

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
thanks!

MaineGirl said:
I was a professional nanny for about two years. My advice to you is to go through an agency. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

You do sound like you would be great with kids. Have you thought of volunteering? There is a volunteer blog on this site--you may want to read it and see if it sounds like a good way to use your skills and see the DR for a bit. Also, undoubtedly you will meet all kinds of people while volunteering and by networking you may find the right job.

Thanks for your advice... I have actually been doing extensive research - both on teaching, other jobs, etc... I have savings, and would love to help out by volunteering - but a lot of the volunteer programs are at least $2,000... do you know if the DREAM project is one which volunteers must pay for? I've looked on the website, but wasn't for sure on it. If you know of any schools (in Sosua) besides Garden Kids you can recommend, I would appreciate it - or (free) volunteering (i don't expect to get paid, I just don't want to have to shell out $$)...
THanks!
Ambre