Punta Cana Airport-Customs

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
I am going to DR in May and I am bringing some gifts to my family. More specifically, I am bringing 4 CD players, 1 DVD player and 5 to 6 DVD's. My question is, will I have a problem with Dominican Custom Agents as far as them letting me bring these gifts into the country? Will they make me pay a fee? Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If they catch you expect a bribe since this is obviously more than personal use. Have $20 ready.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
ricktoronto said:
If they catch you expect a bribe since this is obviously more than personal use. Have $20 ready.

But, in all likely hood, I will not have a problem?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hlywud said:
Pack it all in your checked luggage.
That doesn't sound like a good idea. Putting items like CD players in checked luggage is an invitation for theft, even if the luggage is locked. On my last trip, they cut off the lock (it was a TSA lock) and the piece of the zipper it was locked to, because they thought something of value was in my suitcase.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Actually Eddie the TSA has apparently been cutting off locks even with the new TSA style/key thing as they appear to be too lazy to bother.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Hey, The Voice...

I always fly into PUJ, and ALWAYS get stopped and searched.

And their excuse is that I "look" Dominican, therefore I must be bringing stuff that will stay in the DR, while foreign-looking folks will take back with them whatever they bring.

So, if you don't sport the "platano" look like me, you might never get stopped. But if they stop you, tell them what you're carrying. The 4 CD players and one DVD player should not be a problem. And if custom agents let you go, the narcotics agents might still stop you and take you to their office; tell them what you have before they find it.

Good luck,

The Kid

vcop

Apr 5, 2006
I am from the US and I`m carrying lots of gifts for the kids down there.We have about a 50 lb bag of everything from toys to school supplies.Is it true that if they check us ,we will have to pay a gift tax? About how much do you think this would be?This is my first post on DR1 and I`m glad to see WUD here.Leaving for Bavaro Princess on June 3rd.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The gift tax is a euphemism for "bribe" . Have $10 - $20 ready but if you don't look "local" they are not likely to open your bags. Don't let on you know any Spanish even if you do. Ask for a receipt for the embassy .