Difference between Residency Permit and Residency Visa???

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Does anyone know the difference between a residency permit and a residency visa? Or are they the same thing?
May be a stupid question but i have to ask!

Ive been told I need a residency permit! Any info about this would be appreciated!

Thanks
Louise

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think visa is the correct word.

To become a legal resident in the DR, foreigners need to obtain a residence visa, provisional residence card and finally a permanent residence card. The entire process will take over a year and a half. Many persons contract the services of an experienced Dominican migration lawyer because it is a very time-consuming process

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A residency visa and a residency permit (provisional or permanent residency) are NOT the same thing.

A residency visa is issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (?Secretar?a de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores?) to a foreigner who wishes to enter the Dominican Republic with the intention to become a resident. It allows the beneficiary to enter the Dominican Republic for a period of time (60 days) in order to apply for his residency. Formerly, regulations required that a foreigner wishing to become a resident had to obtain a residency visa to enter the country. This is no longer the case and foreigners are allowed to apply with a tourist card or visitor?s visa.

A provisional (or permanent) residence card is issued by the Department of Immigration to qualified foreigners who wish to live in the Dominican Republic allowing its beneficiaries to live and work in the Dominican Republic.

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
Fabio J. Guzman said:
A provisional (or permanent) residence card is issued by the Department of Immigration to qualified foreigners who wish to live in the Dominican Republic allowing its beneficiaries to live and work in the Dominican Republic.

MY GUZMAN dear sir...

i believe theres still confusion among a few members regarding the abovequoted.

when you mention 'qualifited' foreigners... is this specific to foreigners who can show they have significant funds?

and if yes, does that mean they dont have to wait the one year while under 'temporary residence' status?