Al Horford on Florida's NCAA championship basketball team

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Did anyone notice that, when he was introduced before last night's final, Al Horford's home town was announced as Puerto Plata, DR?

His father, Tito, has always been referred to as Dominican, although I don't recall if he's from NYC or the island.

In any case, because we always search for sports heros--for better or for worse--the newly crowned National Champions have a North Coast boy who played a huge role in the victory.

Whether he ever actually lived in POP is open to conjecture--I am sure someone here can tell us.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Tito Horford is from the DR - not sure if Al was born in POP or not. It seems that his Bio has gotten changed up over the years.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
His father was an NBA prospect, and it looks like this kid was fast tracked in the US from an early age, but it was fun hearing POP announced on CBS. I have an 11yr. old charge in Sosua who is a basketball fanatic. This will mean alot to him. - D

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Tito did play in the NBA for the Bucks, but his career was not long.

Hopefully when they put up Al's bio for the NBA he will not be marketed as the "1st dominican in the NBA" - like they did Felipe.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
A.J. said:
Tito did play in the NBA for the Bucks, but his career was not long.

Hopefully when they put up Al's bio for the NBA he will not be marketed as the "1st dominican in the NBA" - like they did Felipe.
But it seems he's the only Dominican to ever win a national championship with a division one school for basketball! and the first ever Dominican to play basketball at the university of Florida, and also only the second Dominican player to play a sport there as well, the first being Carlos Perez I believe..who was on the gator football team two years ago...

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Dr1, should also jump on these stories, and report these accomplishments as they happen, I don't know if the islands local paper write reports on these athlete's, but it would be good if the government there honor these athlete's with some type of tribute;) thats just my opinion i guess!

abe

Jan 2, 2002
It's such a trite question, and not a put down, but where's Felipe playing now?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Who?

Last I heard he had been in Santiago hanging out, currently not playing in the NBA, can't find anything about the him playing in the Euro leagues.

He did let a great condo in downtown minneapolis go into default and was auctioned for a sliver of the price.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
That's too bad. Everything I know about him indicated that he's a good citizen. Hope that's still true.

Jan 5, 2006
Felipe Lopez is playing is Spain or Italy. I read an article about his performance in a game within the last week.

As for other Dominicans in the NBA, right now there is Charlie Villanueva with the Toronto Raptors, who also won a Div. 1 NCAA championship with U of Conn. in 2004, and Francisco Garcia with the Sacramento Kings.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
daddy1 said:
Dr1, should also jump on these stories, and report these accomplishments as they happen, I don't know if the islands local paper write reports on these athlete's, but it would be good if the government there honor these athlete's with some type of tribute;) thats just my opinion i guess!

I completely agree with you on DR1 needing to report more on sports accomplishments. Unfortunately, even discussing baseball is an issue on this site, as if it isn't a part of the Dominican culture. Football (soccer) and Formula 1 racing, are not an issue here, since Dominicans blow their gaskets and stage riots over those sports. You think basketball will make a dent? LOL!!!

Regarding the government,.....can't agree. The DR government has way too many other more pressing things to spend time on, don't ya think? Whether they do it?

This should make the DR news, maybe as a side blurp in sports.