Baseball Cards

tommy g

Apr 3, 2006
Went through my collection and have about 50 to 100 cards of some famous dominicans who have left their mark on major league baseball. Will be traveling to the DR at the end of April. Thinking of passing them on to the resort workers as "propinas". Good idea? or does the almighty dollar prevail? Some of the cards go back as far as Juan Samuel and George Bell up to current stars ....Pujols...Ramieriez.....Ortiz etc..

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Actually, the almighty PESO prevails. Although resort workers are among the better paid non-professional Dominicans, these folks are probably making an average of less than RD$8000/mth, (US$250), and many must support a family on that. Some of the workers may find the baseball cards to be an interesting little touch, IF they have some Pesos wrapped around them. Otherwise, giving them will just point out the fact that you are "stiffing" them! Almost like rubbing it in.

tommy g

Apr 3, 2006
Great advice Sweet. I will slip a one dollar bill with a card in a plastic sleeve. Obviously some cards are worth more than others. Great service means a potential Albert Pujols "Rookie" card. Just looking for an edge when I belly up to the bar.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Imagine this...............You cant make your rent, you are behind on payments for school and have been eating white rice for 9 days straight, its coming to the end of tourist season and soon you will be laid off..... ....You go out of your way to make a guest happy , you make sure they are comfortable, fold a towel into a love bird, or that special smile............Dominicans work hard for very little ...... and you get a picture card of a BB Player. How would a porter at the Ritz feel if you slipped him a BB Card or a Dollar for that matter . I strongly disagree. Its funny how we will tip the Waitresses and Cleaners and porters and doormen in other countries but for some reason feel that the Dominicans deserve less for the same work. Being a former Hockey Card Afficianado, you and I both know that Beckett prices are 10-20 times the actual value and that is IF you can sell them with the help of Ebay or Yahoo etc..... Give them the cards anyway.it may brighten someones already gray day ......But tip appropriately and you cannot BELIEVE the service that you will receive............ Tiop inappropriately and word here spreads like wildfire and could ruin your vacation ..............

tommy g

Apr 3, 2006
As they say in Spanish......Siempre doy buenas propinas..... I am a sales professional in the US of A. pero..... I also tend bar part time and no one apppreciates the service worker more than I do. My intention was none other than trying to be a little creative in the tipping process. I was imagining some maid getting the cards along with some monetary compensation and passing the card to her Hijo who just received a baseball card from his MLB hero. Que tenga un feliz noche!!!!