Sammy Sosa-Where Art Thou Brother?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Has anyone fallen from grace faster than Sosa?.

Where is he?

Is he playing at all?

Is he signed at all?

Is he still "using" the "juice?

What's going on with this guy that just a few years ago had the beseball world "at his mercy"?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
February 21, 2006
Sosa rejects another Nationals offer
Full Story ?

February 15, 2006
Sosa rejects Nats; ponders retirement
Full Story ?

February 12, 2006
Sosa said to want more money from Nats
Full Story ?

Outfielder Sammy Sosa has rejected the one-year, $500,000 non-guaranteed Major League offer from the Nationals, according to general manager Jim Bowden in an e-mail to MLB.com.

Sosa wanted at least $1 million to sign with the team, but Bowden was not willing to increase the offer. The Nationals originally had offered Sosa a Minor League deal with an invitation to Spring Training.

"We respect Sammy and what he has accomplished in the game," Bowden said. "We wish him well and hope that he is able to come back and perform like he did a couple of years ago. As long as he is not in our division, we'll be rooting for him to win Comeback Player of the Year."

A source familiar with the negotiations said if Sosa was offered a deal similar to Frank Thomas, who received a $500,000 guaranteed contract with incentives from the Athletics, he would have taken the deal. But the think tank in the Nationals' front office was very concerned about Sosa's eroding skills.

Sosa is coming off the worst season of his career, hitting .221 with 14 home runs and 45 RBIs, and he had two stints on the disabled list with Baltimore. Sosa's last good season was in 2003, when he hit .279 with 40 home runs and 103 RBIs for the Cubs.

The Nationals had looked at Sosa as Spring Training insurance in case Jose Guillen's injured left shoulder has not fully recovered, and if Alfonso Soriano continues to refuse to play the outfield or plays in the World Baseball Classic.

With Sosa out of the picture, it means Marlon Byrd, Ryan Church and Brandon Watson will compete for the center-field job. Had Sosa agreed to the deal, the Nationals would have had Soriano playing center field, with Sosa and Guillen at the corners.

Sosa has hinted at retirement. If so, he leaves the game with 588 home runs, fifth best in league history, 1,575 RBIs and a .274 batting average.

"It's a tough way to call it a career, if that's what he's doing," one source said.

By Enrique Rojas | ESPNdeportes.com

Where are you, Sammy Sosa?

Reports from sources indicate that he has spent the last seven months traveling in Miami, Brazil, the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic. But, basically, Sammy Sosa has played the part of Houdini since the end of last season. Where have you gone, Sammy? Why didn't you even say goodbye?

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
No steroids, no Sammy. Notice how NO ONE's claiming him now?

After seeing the stuff that Bonds is getting, he's really better off being unavailable right now. Wonder where Mark Mcguire is also?

How wrong was Jose Canseco again? LOL!!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Where's Golo?

Sammy is his boy. He loved pouring on the compliments and denying his obvious steroid built career.

In addition - and I'm sorry to say this - I wonder how long it will be before we see him scraping for funds.

My bet is that it won't be long.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Cleef said:
Sammy is his boy. He loved pouring on the compliments and denying his obvious steroid built career.

In addition - and I'm sorry to say this - I wonder how long it will be before we see him scraping for funds.

My bet is that it won't be long.
I'll take that bet. He may only have a 6th grade education, but he appears to have some competent handlers.:)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
And how much do the handlers cost?

rellosk said:
I'll take that bet. He may only have a 6th grade education, but he appears to have some competent handlers.:)
I hope he owns his (present) city block for his entire lifetime - it's obscene!!

He's peaked in earnings.
Things get more expensive.
His squared piece of cement is a city block, not a hut.
I doubt they're eating yucca every night.

He's still a young man, he's got many years ahead of him (unless he did a massive amounts of steroids - then all bets are off).

Agreed?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I was just wondering the same thing a couple of days ago...poor Sammy, after everything else he's also greedy...too bad...not worth a mil anymore, baby!

Hey, Cleef...what about your boy Andy Marte? He's with the Red Sox if I'm not mistaken, right? Although not playing for them yet...I think he's at Triple-A for now...

MQ

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Musicqueen said:
I was just wondering the same thing a couple of days ago...poor Sammy, after everything else he's also greedy...too bad...not worth a mil anymore, baby!

Hey, Cleef...what about your boy Andy Marte? He's with the Red Sox if I'm not mistaken, right? Although not playing for them yet...I think he's at Triple-A for now...

MQ

Andy Marte is now with the Cleveland Indians.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not thrilled

Potato_Salad said:
Andy Marte is now with the Cleveland Indians.
I wasn't happy to see Marte go. He was (still is) considered a top-tier, cant-miss hitting machine.

I've heard that before, but I'd like to have seen him play with the Sox.

Very happy to have Coco, but Marte's name will become household soon enough.

Sammy is no longer MIA

Everyone will be glad to know that Sammy Sosa is alive and well. He was spotted at the recent Marc Anthony Concert. See article below from yesterday's DR1. I know I'll be able to sleep better knowing that (he says with tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Marc Anthony & JLo in Chavon
Jennifer Lopez was "Lola" for Marc Anthony, as he delighted the audience attending the Easter Saturday concert at Altos de Chavon. News reports indicate that it was one heck of a romantic concert as Anthony dedicated many of his songs to his new love. He was impressed by the way the local crowd sang along with his songs. Listin Diario reported that the emotional tension of the evening was highly charged, and that there was one moment when the Puerto Rican star knelt down and told his audience, "You are wonderful, I am happy to be here, I have traveled all around the world to share my music and I must confess that there is no audience with more human warmth that that of the Dominican Republic." First Lady Margarita Cedeno de Fernandez and baseball player Sammy Sosa were seated in the front rows. Marc Anthony sang 12 songs and closed with the song, "Tu amor me hace bien."

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Anything else?

Any new news about Sammy?

Is he still "thinking" about playing?.

Is he just taking time off so his body can get rid of any "juice"?.