Wiser

Dragonfly

Jan 5, 2006
A while ago I posted something on here about a certain young man I had met at a resort. Since then I have become a little wiser, he never emailed me and after reading alot of these posts I'm glad he didn't.

I wouls like to offer some insight into why it is that why women from North America, and Europe "fall" for sakies they do. I dont' know if there is a "stereo typical" type of woman that sankies go after, but popular opinion seems to come up with some recurring traits; low self esteem, not attractive by "Western" standards, and caucasian. I was none of these, and I still managed to "fall" for it although with not the same consequences as many have experienced. I am from Canada, but my ethnicity is Fijian, so I was often mistaken as a Dominicana.

I think that because the majority of vacationers are from countries that are classified as first world countires, and past sankie experince has confirmed that people who come form there have money to spend that they target these women and sometimes men right away. The countries that thsese ladies come from often have more restrictive taboos surrounding sexual behaviour and courtship than may exist in the Dominican Republic culture and perhaps even moreso in 'resort subculture,' that is an atmosphere that is layed back, relaxed, less restrictive, more permissive and most importantly temporary. Due to this, vacationers are set up with a 'vacation mentality' to be open to trying new things; new food, drinks, a new language and yes new loves.

Because women from these countires may have less aggressve males at home, and are also more open to experience new ways of courship they are therefore more accepting of a Dominicano resort worer's more aggressive tactics. It's seen as refreshing, charming, sexy and a CHANGE, whcih is part of why they went on a vacation in the first palce, to "get away," so what may be deemed as inappropriate or even harassment at home is now a welcomed part of a new expererience.

I think that women from these countries are also not used to men who's primary goal for a relationship is for economic purposes, so it is hard to fathom, even with valuable sights like this one, a man wanting them for their wallets. It is simply unchartered territory and when a man asks them for money, they are compelled to give it to them, yes because they have been "tricked" into liking, even loving them, but also becuase they think that that their significant other also loved them for something "more." This may be a consequence of two people form very different socio-economic levels meeting in an atmosphere that appears to lessen that gap, also keep in mind that they are open to new things, and they would not usually "fall" for a man of the same socio-economic level as their sankie in their own country.

Having said this, I feel it is necessary to disclose that I have been to the Dominican Republic only once, I have since then done alot of reading about it, this however does not replace the experience of living there and being emersed in the culture, just like that does not replace being born into that or any other, culture. I only wished to contribute what may very well be an obvious or already stated insight into the sankie phenomena.

On a personal note, I will divulge that I am pretty young; 21. I have been blessed with many things, including a side of me that is always looking for love, a side that is truely a hopeless romantic, a side that if is ever diminished will in turn diminish my blessings.