Santiago Travel ?s

BackInTheUSA

May 31, 2005
My boyfriend and I are planning on going to the DR in early May. As I was comparing ticket prices for the dates that we would like to go, I noticed that it would be cheaper for us to fly into Santiago instead of SDQ. I used to live in Santo Domingo, and I am quite accustomed to flying into SDQ.

However, money is an issue, and I visited Santiago a handful of times when I did live in the DR.

Our travel plans are:

Wed night/early Thu morning - arrive in DR
Thu night - meet up with friends in Jarabacoa
Fri thru Sun - stay with friends in the campo (about an hour outside of Jarabacoa)
Mon thru Thur/Fri - Santo Domingo (to visit friends there)
Thur/Fri thru Sunday - Las Terrenas
Early Monday morning - fly back to the US

My questions are:

How far/much time is it between Santiago and Jarabacoa (or La Vega)? And is there regular "nice" bus or even the typical gua-gua service between the two cities?

How about bus service between Sanchez and Santiago? How much time does it take? If we wanted to bus into Santiago on Sunday evening, would that be possible (meaning do they only run one bus a day, or are there many options)?

I've read threads about where to stay (hotel-wise) in Santiago, so that's been helpful...

Do you think that the travel schedule above makes sense, because it will save us about $200 in plane tickets? Or would it be more convenient to fly into Santo Domingo, and would the price difference be worth it?

I'm afraid that I might just be wanting to fly into Sto Dgo out of habit, and I wouldn't mind showing my boyfriend how beautiful Santiago is...but if anyone thinks that we'll be at a big disadvantage doing so, please let me know.

Thank you!!!

I'm so excited to go to the DR in a little less than a month!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here are a few hints

BackInTheUSA said:
My questions are:

How far/much time is it between Santiago and Jarabacoa (or La Vega)? And is there regular "nice" bus or even the typical gua-gua service between the two cities?

How about bus service between Sanchez and Santiago? How much time does it take? If we wanted to bus into Santiago on Sunday evening, would that be possible (meaning do they only run one bus a day, or are there many options)?

I've read threads about where to stay (hotel-wise) in Santiago, so that's been helpful...

Do you think that the travel schedule above makes sense, because it will save us about $200 in plane tickets? Or would it be more convenient to fly into Santo Domingo, and would the price difference be worth it?

I'm afraid that I might just be wanting to fly into Sto Dgo out of habit, and I wouldn't mind showing my boyfriend how beautiful Santiago is...but if anyone thinks that we'll be at a big disadvantage doing so, please let me know.

Thank you!!!

I'm so excited to go to the DR in a little less than a month!!!!

1) Bus service between Santiago and Jarabacoa is by guagua (mini vans) Dirt cheap, and they are very nice people. I sent some total gringos up there just last month and they had a ball! With your Spanish, you won't have any problem.

2) There are four buses a day between Santiago and S?nchez/Las Terrenas/Saman?. Two in the orning and two in the afternoon.

3) $200 is never a laughing matter. Therefore , you are very wise to book into STI. It is an easier airport to get into and out of and it is near where you want to go.

4) I am going to PM you about a couple of other things.

Cordially,

HB :D:D

Sep 19, 2005
hillbilly the trip between santiago and sanchez sounds like it a sanchez TO santiago trip...so he need to know about buses leaving sanchez, which is different than buses leaving santiago! right!

bob

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Santiago!

Unfortunately I don't know about bus service from Sanchez to Santiago but the rest of your plans would work out nicely as HB and Bob have pointed out.

Have a great trip,

JD

BackInTheUSA

May 31, 2005
Well, we got our tickets yesterday, and I'm so excited :)

We'll be flying into Santiago, early May 4 and staying until the 15...

The only flight that came close price-wise was still $100 more, and it included the New York airport switch b.s., which we know adds probably $60 onto the ticket price.... plus the inconvenience factor.... So I guess I will not be seeing the inside of SDQ this year - no big loss :)

Thanks for your advice - yay! I can't wait.... only a little less than a month to go :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The buses that run Santiago -->Saman?; Santiago--> Las Terrenas also do the reverse trip.
As I have discovered, there are two direct buses from Santiago to Las Terrenas and two direct trips from Las Terrenas to Santiago. Morning and afternoon.
And, I have since found out, this poster won't have any trouble finding her way around here, since she speaks perfet Spanish and know the 'rules' ....:p:p:p

HB :D:D