Anyone with 1st-hand experience w Europcar at STI?

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
I've been checking economy car rates for my May 2006 trip. And for my five days, Europcar is $128 (after taxes), and all others are $160 (after taxes) or more. Even my personal favorite, Alamo (next best rate) is $160.

Maybe it's because I'm from the USA, but I have ZERO experience with Europcar (most especially at STI... because, as with any brand, quality standards vary from place to place).

Yeah, I know, it's only $32 ($6+/day). I tell myself, "go with who you know" - but my wallet keeps whispering in my other ear. This much difference has my "Spidey senses tingling" (source: Stan Lee).

macmasher

PS - A search of DR1 yielded 12 results (none really relevant to my quest, and most really old).

PSS - side question... would you have posted this in "General" or "Central"?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will probaqbly be in the general area of the airport soon. Want me to check 'em out??

HB:D:D

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
That's ONE helpful Hillbilly...

Dang, that's a nice offer.

So if you're gonna be at STI anyway some time in the next 30 days, I'd love to know if you spot any '76 Yugos (sporting Europcar stickers) in the parking lot... or masked banditos wearing Europcar shirts.

Just having fun. Your generous offer/gesture is sincerely (and as always) appreciated.

macmasher

Sep 19, 2005
macmasher said:
Dang, that's a nice offer.

So if you're gonna be at STI anyway some time in the next 30 days, I'd love to know if you spot any '76 Yugos (sporting Europcar stickers) in the parking lot... or masked banditos wearing Europcar shirts.

Just having fun. Your generous offer/gesture is sincerely (and as always) appreciated.

macmasher

Hello I have never rented with them, but talked to a guy that works there a few times as i waited for my flght and for my rental to get ready from another company. I wont say the company , because i dont post this to try and change your mind. The rates seem very cheap, and i am guessing that will be one SMALL car. The guy seemed very nice that i talked to...the rates were not as cheap as i was getting, but the cars i rent are SUV's and they arent new. they are 3 or 4 years old! And i dont pay anywhere near that price you listed.

I really want to mention you do not want to rent a car that in any way shape or form lets others on the street know for sure its a rental car!

if it says the rental car company anywhere on it...avoid it like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats some serious advice.....even if you have to buy a razor and scrape it off your self as soon as you get out of sight of the airport!!!!!!!!!!

there are plenty of rentals company right at the aiport ..all in a row and then there are at least 6 more within 1 mile......they should be competitive....

good luck...........

bob

DominicanKing

Apr 26, 2006
I Don't Recommend you rent from Europcar. I rented two car on my previously trips the first car broke down after the first week and the second time I could not find a car at the time all the other rental were sold out so again I had to rent from there again that car broke down the same day on the highway. If this is the Europcar that is located across the street from the airport

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I found a mid-sized rental with Alamo (with whom I've had a good experience previously) for $146.88 (including tax, and after coupon). That's two car classes higher, and only $18 more for the 5-day rental. So I cancelled the EuropCar rez. Thanks to all.

DominicanKing

Apr 26, 2006
Your welcome, go with Alamo there usually pretty good just make sure you make an reservation and call them before you go so they can have it ready for you

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
Update

Yesterday (May 3, 2006), "free day (compact or larger) on a three-plus day rental, Latin America & Carribean" link appeared in the "Hot Deals" section of the Alamo web site. Be sure to scroll way down to the "international hot deals" area.

The deal took a 2-door compact with auto & air down to $108 plus tax for 5 days. This is the same price as the economy car I originally booked (see first post).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
MORE car info please

I am totally awed by the info on this board! I will be coming up to Santiago from the Capital on Caribe tours and want to rent a car for a week and explore a bit - towards Luperon and over to Dajabon, I read the last thread so will be using Alamo or National - but now I want to know how much, if any I will save by renting in town vs. going to the airport? The prices are pretty much the same but the selection at the airport is a bit better. Any difference between the two companies? Also any hotels in Santiago that you recommend? I stayed at one once which was ok but pretty grim, inside room, broken down ac..... thanks for the info....

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have rented from them at STI twice. Small economy cars, Fiats I believe. One was brand new with less than 500k on the odometer. No problems either time.