Punta Cana vs. La Romana?

D

Donna

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two areas? I'm not familiar with them,and I'm wondering which has the better beach? Do more Europeans frequent one area over the other? How do they compare to Santo Domingo? Is one area busier than another? Thanks for any help you can provide.

D

DR One

La Romana is a southeastern province that is home to the resorts of Dominicus Beach (Viva Dominicus, Dominicus Palace, Gran Dominicus, Coral Canoa) and Casa de Campo, and Bayahibe (Casa del Mar) primarily. La Romana also has Altos de Chav?n, which is the leading attraction outside of the beaches. La Romana is also a bustling small city, which is about 15 minutes from Casa de Campo and half an hour from Dominicus.

Punta Cana is a beach strip on the east coast. Punta Cana gives its name to the region because it is the name of the airport. The airport was built by the first tourism developers of the area. Punta Cana is about half an hour away from the nearest city, Higuey.

More Americans than Europeans frequent Casa de Campo. But until recently (in the winter months US travel to Punta Cana is up), Europeans made up most of the travelers visiting Punta Cana.

Both Dominicus and Punta Cana are excellent beaches.

Santo Domingo is the capital city of the Dominican Republic. It is a metropolis of about three million people. The 2003 Pan American Games will be held there.

D

Donna

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to assimilate all these facts for future vacations. I've been to Puerto Plata and did not care for the area at all! I did like my resort in Santo Domingo and would go back there. Jan. it will be La Romana and maybe next time Punta Cana. A great beach is the top priority! If there happened to be a reef near by this would be good too,my husband LOVES to snorkel!! Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

N

Natasha

"A great beach is the top priority! If there happened to be a reef near by this would be good too,my husband LOVES to snorkel!! Any other suggestions would be welcomed".

Donna, where in La Romana are you staying? La Romana is not really known for its beaches. It's just really known for Casa de Campo. There are great beaches nearby like Bayahibe, Catalina Island (snorkling). Casa de Campo's Minitas beach is just okay.

Regards, Natasha

N

Natasha

My mistake

Just saw your other post regarding Casa del Mar. The beach there is great.

Regards, Natasha