Where to stay inexpensively in DR directly from the Airport

dianeEllen

Apr 10, 2006
We will be on a fact finding mission to explore retirement on a budget. My husband and I will be arriving from the US at 3:25 am to Santiago International Airport on Sunday morning, May 7, 2006. We will need a place to stay that is within our budget so Club Med is out I'm afraid. Something that is clean and has a good bed is all we require. We also plan to rent a car for the 2 weeks we will be there. Is this a good Idea?
We are both 60 years old if that makes a difference. Any info on where to start would be helpful.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
dianeEllen said:
We will be on a fact finding mission to explore retirement on a budget. My husband and I will be arriving from the US at 3:25 am to Santiago International Airport on Sunday morning, May 7, 2006. We will need a place to stay that is within our budget so Club Med is out I'm afraid. Something that is clean and has a good bed is all we require.
By way of searching the archives, here is a thread with some suggestions.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48932&highlight=hotel+santiago
For 1 night I would suggest Camp David Ranch (huge rooms with balconys)because they have a restaraunt and incredible views of the city below, It is a little out of the way but the views are great. Other options are hotel Plantino(Nice but small rooms) which is right as you enter the city about 15 mins from airport exit (in traffic) 10 mins with no traffic.

If you are in town for under a day, stay in a Cabana.
5 minutes from the airport and safe, clean, and cheap.
These are normally rented in blocks of 4 hours for "other sorts of activities", but are great to crash and shower for a few hours!
There are 5 of them just outside of the airport.
Platino is also a great inexpensive option as well, as suggested by B.P.

stay at hotel platino.next to university and cheap and clean rooms with ac.tv and god retaurant.bars next door.809 742 7576

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48864&highlight=hillbilly

dianeEllen said:
We also plan to rent a car for the 2 weeks we will be there. Is this a good Idea?
Yes, if you want to have freedom of movement, and, no, if you are faint of heart, as driving around here, takes some getting used to.

dianeEllen said:
We are both 60 years old if that makes a difference. Any info on where to start would be helpful.
If you could tell us what you are looking for, for example, inland, on the ocean, in the mountains, etc, we could come up with lots of suggestions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I sent you an email echoing a lot of the above. You will find that this site will be most helpful (opinionated, for sure :p) in your search.

HB :D:D:D

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
There is an hotel with american standards close to the airport calles Odelpa Centro Plaza Calle Mella No. 54 Santiago,where you can stay for 90us$ per night. The taxifrom the airport should charge abour 200RD$. But if you are at ease with spanish you could find something much cheaper talking with the taxi driver. Rent a car is expansiver but if you don't know the routes, it's a risk! The problem is, that Santiago is not a touristic city because far away from the sea, it would be much easier in Puerto Plata,a two hours bus ride from Santiago.

I hope you'll make a good trip and wishes you the best,

franberu said:
There is an hotel with american standards close to the airport calles Odelpa Centro Plaza Calle Mella No. 54 Santiago,where you can stay for 90us$ per night. The taxifrom the airport should charge abour 200RD$. But if you are at ease with spanish you could find something much cheaper talking with the taxi driver. Rent a car is expansiver but if you don't know the routes, it's a risk! The problem is, that Santiago is not a touristic city because far away from the sea, it would be much easier in Puerto Plata,a two hours bus ride from Santiago.

I hope you'll make a good trip and wishes you the best,
I just want to give you the correct name of the hotel: is Hodelpa Centro Plaza.
Another thing is that you can call (809)971-8730 (I will double check that phone number for the taxi cab company) and ask for unit #104. His name is Angel and he is a very reliable driver. He charges way less than $200.00 and his car is equipped with seat belts (most of them are not).

Virginia