Best route Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas/Playa Bonita

barbmk

Jan 21, 2006
We will be in Santo Domingo in May, and after a few days there, plan to rent a car and drive to Las Terrenas/Playa Bonita. I've been reading some of the threads on various driving routes, and I have a few questions.

First, what's the best route for our trip in terms of road conditions?
Does going all the way from Santo Domingo to the North Coast (e.g., Sosua) add a lot of distance and time if our destination is Las Terrenas -- or is that the best route in any case? We'd like to see some of the North Coast as well, but plan to stay in the LT area. How long is the trip directly to LT, compared with first going to Sosua?

We will also be driving back to Santo Domingo, so we could take a shorter/faster route back if that makes sense.

Is there a car rental company that's especially reliable, or are all ok? We'd like to pick up the car in Santo Domingo proper, rather than at the airport, if possible. Do we need four-wheel drive, or is front-wheel drive fine for where we're going?

Thanks for any advice you can pass along!

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Take the carretera Duarte and get off at the San Francisco exit. Continue on thru San Francisco, you will pass Castillo and Nagua. When you get to Sanchez you will make the first left after the gas station and continue on to cross the mountain. Drive carefully thru the mountain since it gets a little treacherous at times. Stay on the right side of the road, the vehicles here have a tendency to drive in the middle of the road.

The condition of carretera Duarte is very good, you'll have to watch out for pot holes on the road from San Francisco to LT.

It takes about 4-4 1/2 hours from Santo Domingo to Sosua, and 4 hours from Sosua to LT so my advise is that if you decide to go to Sosua first, you should spend the night there. Personally, I would skip Sosua.

It is better to rent a vehicle from the better known car rental companies. You should rent a four-wheel drive only if you plan to explore and go off the main paved roads which you won't need until you get to Samana, mainly in LT, Playas El Rincon and Del Valle.

Have a safe trip.

Juniper

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A good set of directions. In San Francisco de Macor?s, watch for signs that say NAGUA ->, and know that you will bear right and cross the city. You'll come to a four lane divided avenue and turn right.
As you reach NAGUA, look for signs that say Sanchez-> and again go right. Do not be distracted (yeah, right!!) by the beauty of the beaches, palm trees and greenery..

enjoy,

HB :D:D

Oh yeah, rent from Nelly or one of the major chains. Get all the insurance you can afford, inspect the car for the smallest scratch before you sign anything.
And drive like the evil one is lurking at every intersection. Caution above all.

barbmk

Jan 21, 2006
Thanks to all!

Thanks for the info. I am going to print and take along all of this info. Do others agree that we should skip Sosua and go directly to LT? Thanks again very much to everyone who responded.

barbmk

Jan 21, 2006
One more question....

If we want to rent a cell phone while we're in the DR, is there a company and/or short-term plan anyone would recommend? Our son lives and works in SD, so we would like to be able to be in touch with him even when we're not actually with him on our trip. Will there be cell reception between SD and LT, and in LT itself? Thanks!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phone

barbmk said:
If we want to rent a cell phone while we're in the DR, is there a company and/or short-term plan anyone would recommend? Our son lives and works in SD, so we would like to be able to be in touch with him even when we're not actually with him on our trip. Will there be cell reception between SD and LT, and in LT itself? Thanks!

buy one here for about $10. or 350 pesos,with a card....just buy more cards when you need them,then give the phone to your son when you leave for safe keeping...
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
coverage

jaguarbob said:
buy one here for about $10. or 350 pesos,with a card....just buy more cards when you need them,then give the phone to your son when you leave for safe keeping...
bob

orange and verizon have service from LT to SD no problem...

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
skip sosua

Juniper is correct about skipping Sosua and heading right to Las Terrenas. Check with your credit card company about insurance (i'm covered w/ Citibank MC platinum)

I take the Piedra Blanca, Maimon, Coutui, Pimentel route and never have a problem ... takes me 3 1/2 to get on the other side of the mountains (from Santo Domingo)...but i'm a pretty fast and a good driver.