David Ortiz agreeds to a four-year contract extension through 2010

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Big Pappi, David Ortiz has agreed to a 4-year contract extension through 2010!!! :bunny: :D :classic:

v5gzl5.jpg

v5h2px.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2403952

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...ugger_agrees_to_four_year_contract_extension/

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
"Most feared hitter in baseball"

That was a quote from John W. Henry (new owner of the Sox) at the opening of the Red Sox baseball academy in El Toro back in 2003. I laughed out loud when he introduced him that way.

The Sox had just grabbed Ortiz off the free agent market the year before. He had been playing with (I believe) Licey who was managed by Dave Jauss at the time (advance scout with the Red Sox, now bench coach with LA Dodgers).

I'd known of him for years, and watched him in his free agent winter in the DR. I was NOT impressed, but saw the signing coming and wasn't thrilled with it - we've just had too many of the bash-brother DH types in Boston. I'd seen enough.

That's why JWH could buy the Dominican Republic if he so chose, and why I have to find exact change for my latte.

In reality, he may not be the "most feared", but he's definitely up there.

I'm happy to have him on my team now, that much is for sure. He's bumped Vlady - as my favorite Dominican ballplayer.

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
I happy Big Papi stayed with the Red Sox because my Ortiz jersey is good for another 4 years.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thank god one of my boston teams did something right for a change (name is jrzy..but orig from boston). WIth Damon going to the yanks and vinateri going to indy it has been a rough year for me.

Da Sox are off to a good start and dont seem to be missing damon to much...and he has been whinning about his arm....and pedro has been complaining about his toe over in the mets camp....so who knows...perhaps things will work out.

Just happy Big Papi will be hanging around in fenway for four more year

Speaking of 4 more years...who can we trade team bush/cheney to?

cin

Apr 22, 2006
My Fiance has been a Red Sox Fan since he can remember and we live in Canada!! I have been a Jays fan, but they get knocked out and I usually cheer for Boston!! This has been my third year really watching the team and David Ortiz has been my Favorite since day 1. I would love to meet him some day. GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!

mariagalarza

May 1, 2006
I love David Ortiz! He's definitely a classy guy. I'm from Boston and when he comes on my kids and I always do a cheer "Dominican power!!!!" which my husband just rolls his eyes cuz he's Puerto Rican, damn hater LOL Go Red Sox!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Going Yard

Big Papi is thanking his lucky stars I didn't win the opportunity to pummel his ego in Wiffy.

If it was a professional sport, he'd be kissing my rings.