Flight from DR to Canada for my husband

S

Sass_50

Hello all:

I need a little help. I am trying desperately to find a flight for my husband to come to Canada on. I do not want to route through the US if at all possible as I am concerned about being hasselled by US Immigration. However, I don't see any way to get a direct flight from DR to Canada. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been in trying to travel arrangements to get family to Canada?

Also, I'm trying to find what would be most cost effective for my husband.

Thanks for any help you can give.

S

L

lovesthebeach

If you are looking for a 1 way ticket you should call one of the tour operators in the DR.

In Puerto Plata you can try

Signature (best price I think) - Diana 809-586-2223 ext 231
Air Canada - 809-586-3911
Air transat - Sophie - 809-970-2121

They are around 300-350 US
I paid 310 US with Signature in mid February

You would have to call on Monday of the week you want him to fly and see whatever number of seats they have available for later that week.

They all fly direct to Canadian Cities and you can pay in US or CAD or RD $$

Hope that helps
LTB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If he has all his paperwork in order (dominican passport with his permission to come to Canada) he can get a one way on Air Canada (expensive) or go to the US Embassy and get a tourist Visa(They gave mu mother in law one) Then he can get an American Airlines one way for half the price of Air Canada. He can then fly via Miami to Toronto.

Laurelle

Jan 31, 2006
Unless all paper work is filed and ready for him to come he HAS to fly through US. He cannot just fly to Canada. It's an immigration thing. If this is his first time (i.e. moving here) then he will have to go through US Immigration in US there are various points of entry, Miami, New York or New Jersey. First flight always costs more, after that he can fly cheap (i.e. Air Transat etc.)

Cheers.

Elle

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Laurelle said:
Unless all paper work is filed and ready for him to come he HAS to fly through US. He cannot just fly to Canada. It's an immigration thing. If this is his first time (i.e. moving here) then he will have to go through US Immigration in US there are various points of entry, Miami, New York or New Jersey. First flight always costs more, after that he can fly cheap (i.e. Air Transat etc.)

Cheers.

Elle
You are completely wrong. There is no requirement for a Dominican becoming a Canadian to have anything to do with American immigration. If he is lanfing in the states, yes, but for a direct flight from the DR to Canada no.

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
I agree with Bob. Unless he is connecting in the US, Canadian immigration does not require that he goes through US immigration prior landing in Canada. I was permanent resident until recently, and I landed directly in Montreal without passing by the US.
Saludos!

Laurelle

Jan 31, 2006
Ok perhaps I am wrong now.. but back in tha day when my husband came first landing in Canada NOT US he had to fly through US as there was no direct flight from DR to YYZ (Toronto) hence why he had to stop in Newark. They told me it was an immigration thing. Perhaps it's changed. Far as I know they CANNOT fly on a Charter if first landing.

Cheers

Elle

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Laurelle said:
Ok perhaps I am wrong now.. but back in tha day when my husband came first landing in Canada NOT US he had to fly through US as there was no direct flight from DR to YYZ (Toronto) hence why he had to stop in Newark. They told me it was an immigration thing. Perhaps it's changed. Far as I know they CANNOT fly on a Charter if first landing.

Cheers

Elle

Was the year before 911? Before 2001? Things have changed.

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
Charters are ok

Laurelle said:

Cheers

Elle

Things must have changed because I know of a few guys in the past year, including my husband, who have all flown on charters for their first landing. It's best to book through an agency in the DR (contact information already provided in this post). They may, however, be required to go to the office with all of their paperwork to prove they are entering Canada legally before the company will issue the ticket.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Shelley said:
Things must have changed because I know of a few guys in the past year, including my husband, who have all flown on charters for their first landing.

Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for in one of the OP many threads. Now I know for future referrence.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Laurelle said:

Cheers.

Elle

Absolutely utter wrong nonsense. Don't post what you know nothing about.

Options: Non stops with AC from Santo Domingo weekly. POP weekly. Charters will offer one way if not fully booked from PUJ, POP,LRM, SDQ, . COPA to Panama then to Salvador on to Toronto on TACA. Cubana to Havana then Cubana or AC to Toronto or Montreal.

It is NOT an immigration thing as much as it is a you are an idiot thing.

Canada is not ruled by the US INS as much as you'd like to think so neither is the DR. You do not have to connect in the USA unless you choose an American carrier that stops in MIA, ATL, JFK etc. The US did their deal with the TWOV termination and all that resulted was loss of revenue from ITI passengers from all of Latin America and a move for example of Iberia from MIA to Guatemala City for a hub to permit non US visa holders to travel to and from Spain.

This is really irritating - do you really think the US rules everything with travel? Of course not.

By the way depending on the time of year and fare basis AA or DL via the US is not going to be cheaper than AC non stop, Cubana etc., as well.

Last edited:

Laurelle

Jan 31, 2006
Oh relax

Easy Rick. No need to go off the deep end. I was just putting my experience out there, and what I was told at that time. Again it was a few many years ago and things do change.

It's sad that you take such offence to a post that someone put on a public board. I am sorry to have irritated you with my experience in bringing someone here, guess when people ask we should just shut up and let you take over eh.. since you are god and know everything right Rick..

As for US ruling our immigration NOT AT ALL BUT AT THE TIME THAT MY HUSBAND CAME there were no direct flights from DR anywhere to Canada.. Relax. I work in the legal field so no need to tell me our laws..

Out.

Elle

BTW Your life must be rather sad if you have to get all bent out of shape over a post.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Canada is not ruled by the US INS as much as you'd like to think so neither is the DR.

Not exactly INS, but...

If you're on on the United States homeland security No-Fly list, they won't even let you transit through their airspace. It's happened a few times where flights in transit from Europe to South America were diverted to Canada to remove a passenger. All planes entering US airspace have their passenger manifests transmitted to American authorities.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
bob saunders said:
I some how doubt that her husband would be on the American NO-Fly list.

Tell that to Cat Stevens, or even Senator Ted Kennedy who was flagged - and denied boarding. ;)