Fly Fishing In Punta Cana

Karol

Apr 11, 2006
Hi All,

I`m going to go to Punta Cana for holidays. I`m from the other side of world :) I love fishing especially fly fishing. My question: is it possible to catch something from beach? I read more about fishing from boats but nothing about coast? Maybe somebody help me to prepare. What eqpment is nesesary? Sorry for my english.

Surf fishing can be done anywhere along Playa Bavaro, but the catch will be limited to small fish. Please if you do fly fish find a spot between resorts where there are few tourists.
I have been told that some people fish the coastal lakes and do catch some fish but have not experience this myself.

Karol

Apr 11, 2006
Thank you for info. As I told before it`ll be my first time on Dominicana so I want to try :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Punta Cana is not a recommended destination for fly fishing. Actually, there are some areas where fishing has been banned in order to give the coral reefs a chance to regrow.

Karol

Apr 11, 2006
It`s bad news. Does it means that all punta cana resort is closing for fishing from beach side? I`m understand ecology and don`t want troubles with the local police but where I`ll be allowed to try ?:squareeye

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bottom line, there are so few fish biting that it wont be worth your while waiting even if you did cast a line. Overfishing is a major problem affecting coral reefs in the entire Caribbean. Punta Cana Resort is one of the hotels in the banned fishing area. They are working hard on preserving the ecology.

See http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0722_030722_coral.html

John McManus, of the University of Miami, who is mentioned in the article of this link is working closely with the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation to restore the corals.

Karol

Apr 11, 2006
Dolores, tell me is there any place where I could try ? What places are you sugest ? Fly fishing is rather soft method and also I prefer catch & relese.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Head to Bayahibe and the National Park of the East (Saona) area. You could book a boat in Bayahibe town. Did some flyfishing there with the family many years ago. At that time there was lots of small fish.

For bigger fish, visit Hatillo Dam, north of Santo Domingo. This is where locals go to fish. There is a bass club there and facilities. But you should bring your own gear.

Also, have heard of fly fishing in Chavon River. Recommendation is to go very early in the morning, before the speed boats and tour boats enter the area.

Karol

Apr 11, 2006
Dolores,

Thanks for all your help. I`m going to Dominican Rep. next 2 weeks. I choose Grand Flamenco hotel - it`s not expensive :).
Someone write that is nice place. I`m still not sure about fishing - maybe I`ll try light flyfishing morning from Playa Bavaro ? and spend one day on deep sea fishing trip.

Happy Easter,

Karol

brianpaul

Apr 27, 2006
Karol, I was at the Iberostar Bavaro in 2002 and met an american who brought a spinning reel set up and was fishing from the beach. He was using cooked shrimp from the buffet and I watched him catch a couple of fish. I'll be going back next week and plan to bring an ultralight setup to do the same. good luck-Brian

crappies23

Jun 8, 2004
Karol:

I was at Occidential Grand Flamenco in Punta Cana in 2004 and you can do surf fishing from the beach. Me and my wife stayed for a week and I caught 44 fish. These fish include Jack Crevelle, bone fish, yellow tail, permit, pompano and a few other species. Please e-mail me at crappies23@yahoo.ca and I will e-mail you some pictures and tell you what you should bring.

I hope you have not left for your vacation yet.

Richard