student visa please help

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
I am from Ontario Canada and need to get a student visa for sept 10th to jan 20th. I was wondering how long it takes to get a visa and where do I go to get it? I need to pay a full payment to the school before they will give me a letter or whatever saying that I am going to go there and apparently I need that letter to get a student visa. I can't pay the payment until early July which will only give me about 2 months or less to apply for a student visa. Does anyone have any suggestions or information for me? Thank you so much.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sort of depends.
Most students don't bother with a visa and pay a $20 fee when they leave. They feel it is less hassle that way.
You can come and, since you will probably be in Santo Domingo, go over to the Migraci?n office and get extensions on your visa or a student visa with no problem. Don't sweat it.

Where are you going and what are you going to study?

HB

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
I'm going to do a study abroad type thing, to learn spanish. The program is called apple languages. So if I don't obtain a visa before.. I won't get in trouble when I'm there?

Tony-O

Jun 11, 2005
No, you will not get in trouble. I spent 4 years in SD studying medicine and never had a student visa. I tried to get one but tired of the beaurocratic nightmare after 3 days. Infact, I know of only a handful of fellow foreign students who obtained a student visa. The rest , like me, simply used a tourist visa but checked the "estudios" box on the tourist card. Good fortune in your studies.