Dominican obtaining work visa for Canada?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I've searched the archives and haven't come across such situation thus far. Does anyone know of a Dominican who has successfully come to Canada on a work visa - say for a six-month time period? Angel's cousin has a job offer and contract to work on a farm in Canada. She now has to go through the process of applying for a work visa. Are the restrictions for obtaining a work visa for a Dominican as difficult as for obtaining a visitor's visa? She has a few University courses behind her (not in the field of the job offer), has little money in the bank, no family beyond parents and siblings, no job in the DR to go back to (not anything that would merit HRSDC approval anyways), and basically little to no assets in the DR. In other words, HRSDC would look at her as a risk not to return to the DR, even if that's not the case. Any comments or help would be appreciated.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There was something last year about an agreement for Dominicans to come to Canada for training in Tourisim and hotel management, but farm workers, who knows. As you know, Canadian immigration makes weird and not so wonderful decisions. On a different note, we find out today if Yris's cousin's daughters (14 and 17) can come to Canada for ESL School this summer. I wish Angel's cousin good luck. Anything can happen.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Since Yris' daughters are not yet 18, I think you should have no problem bringing them to Canada, for any reason. Best of luck! Hope things are well with your family, Bob.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
I too would like to know about this

I could have a letter made right away to obtain a work permit for construction in hamilton, ontario canada. If you find out anything more about being able to come over on a workers permit let me know.

Thanks

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Wow, eighteen months? That is unbelievably slow! This farmer would like to have her here in May! Do you know if the delay was caused at this end (Canada) or at the DR end? IOW, was the delay in getting HRSDC to approve the need for a foreign worker, or was the delay in getting the Work Visa processed?

As you know, I have been through the adjustment of a Dominican to Canada, and it wasn't easy. I'm not seeing this through blind eyes, but I think Angel's cousin will fare better than he did. Through study, she speaks a fair bit of English, and she is very motivated. It may be tough for her at first, but I think she will do great if she is accepted.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hey, Yris cousin's daughters got their visitor's visa to come for summer esl class. It took 3 weeks after submitting all the appropriate paperwork.Visa is good for 3 months. Yris is currently working in an Autopart factory making $16 per hour, not exactly what she trained for but when you translate that into pesos its approx 20,000 pesos per week. All her money as i pay for everything when we are in Canada and she pays for everything in the DR...RESORTS...ETC. Good luck Trina.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bob saunders said:
Hey, Yris cousin's daughters got their visitor's visa to come for summer esl class. It took 3 weeks after submitting all the appropriate paperwork.Visa is good for 3 months. Yris is currently working in an Autopart factory making $16 per hour, not exactly what she trained for but when you translate that into pesos its approx 20,000 pesos per week. All her money as i pay for everything when we are in Canada and she pays for everything in the DR...RESORTS...ETC. Good luck Trina.

That is wonderful, Bob! Thanks for letting me know about Yris' cousin. I was thinking about you this morning, wondering if you had any news. Congratulations to Yris on her new job - not bad money at all! If Angel's cousin's visa goes through, she will be situated near Ottawa, and we'll definitely head East this summer.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
and what about for people that has some skills? like english, universitary degree and actually is working?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
riravaga said:
and what about for people that has some skills? like english, universitary degree and actually is working?

IMO, a person in this situation would most likely have an easier time being accepted for a work visa, as long as you can convince HRSDC you will return upon termination of the visa. The somewhat difficult task may be in finding someone in Canada who would hire a foreign worker. There has to be a contract made with a job offer before the Dominican can actually apply for a work visa. In some fields (agriculture, oil and gas, etc) where there is a labour shortage, employers are willing to do anything to find employees these days, and would go through this process if they had to. Where I live, in Calgary Canada, there is a desperate need for workers. Many oil and gas companies are flying men in from Newfoundland to work, and paying for flights home once/month just because there is such a shortage of workers, and that's what it takes these days to find help.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
An Update...

Angel's cousin finally received all the necessary paperwork from HRSDC to make it possible to travel to Santo Domingo to apply for a work visa. Along with her, she took:

A $130 US application fee, to be paid to the Canadian Embassy at the Scotiabank on Maximo Gomez in Santo Domingo (the only bank in the country authorized to take this payment)
Personal Bank Statements
A Police Clearance Certificate
4 passport-sized photos
A copy of her job contract with a Canadian employer
A copy of the authorization from HRSDC
Her passport and cedula
A completed application for a Canadian Work Visa
Letters of Recommendation from previous employers

They kept all her paperwork, as well as her passport, and told her that she would be receiving a call within the next two weeks. That is not to say that she has been granted the visa, but I think it is promising that they kept her passport. Should she be granted this visa, the process has been rather painless, inexpensive, and very fruitful.

As a sidenote, we owe thanks to DR1 for this opportunity because a poster originally posted a question about bringing a Dominican to work in Canada. I responded to him via PM, checked out his company through various channels, and through communicating with Angel's cousin and myself (the power of the internet is extraordinary, isn't it?), he agreed to hire her.

I will update if she is or is not granted the visa. Hopefully we will know within the next 2 weeks!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Another Update

Angel's cousin was given an appointment date of May 18 for the Embassy. At the appointment, they gave back most of her paperwork and sent her for medical tests at the clinic. These tests cost $4,400 RD. There were three tests: one for HIV, another was a urine sample - she didn't know what this test was for, and the third was an X-Ray. The doctor also physically examined her.

I hope that they wouldn't send her for medical exams unless they were prepared to grant the visa. Hopefully, we'll have some good news soon.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
We finally got our answer...

After Betania had to pay $4400 RD for a medical, and her passport was sent to Haiti for nearly two months, the day finally come where Betania received the news that her passport was waiting for her in Santo Domingo. She went to the Capital to pick it up, very excited at the prospect of "mejorando su vida". She received her passport and a letter, declining her application. This is what gets me: the reason for the decline: "The applicant does not speak enough English to fulfill her job duties in Canada". Okay.

#1) She never was asked to give an interview, so how would they know that she doesn't speak English? She actually DOES speak English, she has taken an advanced English course, and writes to me all the time in English to practice. There is absolutely no indication on her application papers what-so-ever that even hints at the possibility that she does not speak English.

#2) How much English does one have to speak to work as a gardener on a farm?

I am totally disgusted with this process right now. Every day, in the papers in Calgary, I hear about how there is such a labour crunch in this city that many shops are closing their doors due to lack of workers. She has a guaranteed job for which she has 6 years of experience. She has $5,000 Cdn in the bank, in case this job does not pan out, to sustain herself. She has some University courses behind her, plus speaks very good English, yet the Embassy didn't even give her an interview to figure that out.

The letter says that this case is closed. If she wants to re-apply, she must pay the $130 application fee again, but her situation must change substantially before they will consider looking at the application again. It appears as though there is no appeal process.

This has been a heartbreaking experience, especially for Betania, but as well for our family.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is when you contact your MP, and see if they worth anything. It sounds like there a legit reason for have this overturned.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bob saunders said:
This is when you contact your MP, and see if they worth anything. It sounds like there a legit reason for have this overturned.

Yes, I agree Bob. The man who was trying to bring her here to work in his farm lives near Ottawa, and is going to contact his MP immediately. He cannot get workers to work on his farm there and has applied for three Dominican applicants. I guess he picked the wrong country to choose to hire from. I will also contact my MP, and will post her response here.

Last edited:
G

gary short

It's to bad she's not a non english speaking east Indian that's a member of a violent religious sect..........she'd be in tomorrow.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Last Resort

trina said:
.... for Betania....

Could she not marry a Canadian and then be entitled to come
to Canada?
This is what most European girls do when other visa applications fail.

Are there same sex marriages in Canada?
In that case even you could marry her (unless you are married aready, of course).
Just a thought...

m'frog