rasing the bar on Dominican REsumes guide

mikeo1313

Nov 22, 2005
I don't know WHO the hell made the Dominican Resume guide but G*DDa*n.... I have never seen such sorry kindergarden resumes before from "apparently" (lord help you) professional people.

So check this checklist out:

1. forget about putting your marital status, if you ask me what the hell is the point,,, looking for the boss pairup... a female applicant with KIDs is an edge in my opinion... a promising individual... but save that for the interview.. if your not that professional and not applying for a highly professional job great.. but DAMN don't ask for a recommendation to an elite job,, have the crappiest of a track record, and resume to go with it,,, atleast when it looks professional and sounds professional you can probably trick the employer and land the job.... my 2 cents... in the US its amazing how the crappiest employee has the most polished amazing resume... hint hint,, get an agency in the states to make it for you...

2. forget the G*DDa*n mediocre looking gazillion fonts and formats .. makes you look like an employee thats going to cost the business more than whatever pay you get.

3. forget about pre-school and highschool mentions, unless its your highest level of education. In the real world this is supposedly a know and counts for nill. If you can't put a higher degree beef it up with BS positions and responisbilities work history is an alternative key.

------------note: I just had to vent this because 3 girls in the past from DR wanted me to recommended them to get a job,, but DAMN the resumes would only merit a catastrophic impression for any worthwhile job... and at the same time they wanted to get "in there"

--- final note: stick with the templates common software has like MS word have... good enough...

good luck

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You have some good points. Is it possible to write them down in somewhat of a professional manner? or are you too g*d*m professional to write in a professional manner about professional things? Hint, start by *not* applying US rules to the Dominican environment. Figure it out buddy, this is not the US.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
mikeo1313 said:
:
1. forget about putting your marital status, if you ask me what the hell is the point,,, looking for the boss pairup...
Marital status (as well as age) are important pieces of info to a DR employer. As a single female is less likely to become pregnant (hopefully) it is important to know her marital status as Dominican Labor Law is very strict in the employer's treatment of pregnant employees. If the employee becomes pregnant, she can not be terminated until 6 weeks after she gives birth. She is also entitled to paid leave of at least 12 weeks. Therefore, never hire a newlywed.

mikeo1313

Nov 22, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Marital status (as well as age) are important pieces of info to a DR employer. As a single female is less likely to become pregnant (hopefully) it is important to know her marital status as Dominican Labor Law is very strict in the employer's treatment of pregnant employees. If the employee becomes pregnant, she can not be terminated until 6 weeks after she gives birth. She is also entitled to paid leave of at least 12 weeks. Therefore, never hire a newlywed.

This calls for some improvisation or maybe its time for quid pro quo and contraceptives in basket on desk... just kidding, distastefully if you may... but I can justify:

Here and there I've heard labor laws that seem unfair for employers in certain instances, but what you mention may be the governments way to substitute the existance for the abscence of social services/circumstances that maybe control infant mortality and mal-nutrition.

Frankly if I were an employer in DR and have a marginally respectable operation in where those eventualities wouldn't effect me I wouldn't think twice about employing a promising employee thats a newlywed. In my opinion if thats the law and I can comply so be it, think of it, if those ladies have questionable support I'd see it as the compensating factor for otherwise relatively cheap pay none the less.

Futhermore in positions of unskilled labor, high turnover and low paying jobs I imagine your provision best suits the company. Its somewhat saddening to think the doors of employment, as limited as openings are in DR, may narrower even more for those unskilled newlyweds that in a sense I imagine need a job more than anyone else. The other side of the argument is that maybe they seek any job that doesn't pay under the table to get pregnant so to say without hopes nor sincere aspirations to integrate with the employers workforce. The latter I'd comment be very isolated circumstance in the common pool of ignorant job seekers, from what I understand people that don't know their rights lost them.

It would be nice to know that employers that have only gone beyond tolerable tolerance levels would apply such policy in HR department and review process. Because imagine that on a grander conscious scale if those details are circumvented to such an extent that well deserving newlyweds with questionable support can go through very horrible times in most crucial moments in their life, because I'm very sure these same workers don't have sufficient for saving. Something to ponder when corporate practice can either put an invisible chasity belt on defenseless women, merit them incapable of being independant or providing a newborn with a malnourished infancy.

I sincerely feel like an idiot and deeply regret starting a thread in such a spurt of the moment emotional manner.

Lesson learned.

mikeo1313

Nov 22, 2005
Chris said:
You have some good points. Is it possible to write them down in somewhat of a professional manner? or are you too g*d*m professional to write in a professional manner about professional things? Hint, start by *not* applying US rules to the Dominican environment. Figure it out buddy, this is not the US.

You are 100% correct. I did make a grand mistake and really, even when I ran across this post the following day I certainly did not feel proud of it....

I'm pretty sure I can seek a spanish guide for making a resume and post it here so that it slightly shuns my vulgar foolishness.

I can only attest that I was venting frustration in a very inmature manner. Imagine 3 girls I know that need jobs have given me resumes as such of very poor quality that would in my opinion be best put in the wastebasket.

I advised them of corrections to make and instead of taking the initiative to correct and heed instructions they have since settled for 2nd rate jobs and didn't even bother re-making their resume just to get pregnant.
(just kidding about the getting pregnant thing)

Last edited:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Ive heard from others who have employees that they (most Dominicans) only work the legal minimum, lenght of time required to collect the three months of severence pay.
TEHAMA

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Chris said:
Figure it out buddy, this is not the US.

Yep...that's definitely the truth. In the DR not only do you have to send in your resume, but also your picture. Guess who generally gets called to the interviews? The good looking people. Some of the adds will ask for good looking people, younger than a certain age (i.e. 25) and female for instance. So you know the hiring person has a very specific person in mind for something specific they want to do. Absolutely no EOE rules in The DR.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
TEHAMA said:
Ive heard from others who have employees that they (most Dominicans) only work the legal minimum, lenght of time required to collect the three months of severence pay.
TEHAMA
I think you may have misunderstood. First, you must work a minimum of 3 months in order to qualify for liquidation (severance pay). From 3-6 months, severance is equal to 6 days of salary. From 6 months to 1 year it is 13 days of salary. From 1-5 years it is 21 days salary for each year. After 5 years it is 23 days for each year. There is no specific 3 months of severence pay.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Thanks for clarifiying those particulars. Its not the way I understood his frustration with employing Dominicans, BUT it is far more reasonable than paying three free months of wages.
TEHAMA