Dominican Music

Leshek

Apr 18, 2006
I recently visited DR and fell in love with people and the country.
Is anybody familiar with upcoming concerts of dominican music in New York. Muchas Gracias.

Rojalio Jackson

Apr 24, 2006
...speakin of....I'm thinking about going to DR soon...probably later this year...a friend recommended this site for info....

..I'm a music junkie.....what's the flavor out there...I'm sure the dominican music is off the hook....but what else? For instance I'm into Hip-Hop......NYC flava......I live in LA now...and out here, believe it or not, the Hip-Hop scene is wack to me.....m'sayin, you really have to dig, or be in the know to find a good Hip-Hop spot....you have the "underground" clubs that play good music.....then you have the "Hollywood" spots....where you see all the bling, celebrities etc....but the music is type typical radio. I'm sure there's some bangin Salsa spots out there....no? What are the "typical" discos like music-wise...compared to what would be a "underground"...and is Reggaeton all they play out there??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What are you asking?

The Colonial Zone hosts many international DJ's that spin House and Lounge in various weekly parties. Salsa is mainly from PR, in case you did no know.
Merengue typico is the national music and is heard wherever you do not hear Bachata.

What city were you planning on visiting?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
Leshek, for info on NY area events, the best source is La Mega (97.9 FM). You can listen from Thursday through the weekend, and they'll have commercials for most of the nightclubs in the area. Most of the best known bands/artists (merengue, bachata, tipico) come tour NY at least once per year for 2 to 3 weeks.

Jan 5, 2006
Rojalio Jackson said:
Bachata? Que artista?

That changes of course, but in the past few years, the most consistent have been Frank Reyes, Yoskar Sarante, Anthony Santos, Raulin Rodriguez, Joe Veras and Elvis Martinez.

Rojalio Jackson

Apr 24, 2006
...Thanx Hipocrito...I'll check them out...

what about the Hip-Hop scene out there...I know alota NY cats get out there.......how heavy are the locals into Hip-Hop?

Sep 19, 2005
there a club near Laguardia airport that host dominican music often. It is called Rancho jubilee. I have never been there, but I have been told by some of my dominican friends its a big place. Fernando Villalona played there last fall. there are many more clubs, hopefully someone else who lives down there will speak up. I have seen dominican acts up here in CT!!!!!!!! so you KNOW they play the city for sure ............bob