Canadian with DR licence in Quebec

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've searched all over the place and just haven't been able to find a solution to my situation yet. I'm Canadian, from Quebec, and now have my Dominican driving licence, but never got my canadian one before leaving the country.

Can I legally drive in Quebec? Is there anything extra I have to get? I'm going up in July and my dad has promised I can drive his baby around, IF it's legal... :paranoid:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Try this:
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/visitors/index.html

Driving in Qu?bec for non-residents

Basically it says:

Foreign students, "coop?rants" or trainees
Temporary workers
Visitors

Foreign students, "coop?rants" or trainees
Foreign students, "coop?rants" or trainees living in Qu?bec are allowed to drive a passenger car or motorcycle for the length of their studies or training period without holding a Qu?bec licence, if they hold a valid licence of the equivalent class. Any licence restrictions also apply in Qu?bec.

If your driver's licence is neither in English or French, getting an International Driver's Permit is highly recommended. You must apply for a Permit in the country that issued your driver's licence, before leaving. A Permit holder must, however, also have the country-of-origin driver's licence in his or her possession.

Temporary workers
If you are on a temporary work contract for longer than six months and hold an International Driver's Permit, you are allowed to operate the corresponding class of motor vehicle in Qu?bec for the length of time the Permit and your driver's licence are valid. You must have both in your possession when driving.

You must apply for a Permit in the country that issued your driver's licence, before leaving.

Visitors
Licence holders from outside Qu?bec may drive a vehicle on a public road in Qu?bec for up to six consecutive months without holding a Qu?bec driver's licence.

These conditions apply:

your driver's licence must be valid;
any licence restrictions also apply in Qu?bec;
you are allowed to operate only the corresponding class of motor vehicle in Qu?bec.
Beyond 6 months, you must hold an International Driver's Permit, which allows you to operate the corresponding class of motor vehicle in Qu?bec for the length of time the Permit and your driver's licence are valid. You must have both in your possession when driving.

Regardless of the length of your stay, if your driver's licence is neither in English or French, getting an International Driver's Permit is highly recommended. You must apply for a Permit in the country that issued your driver's licence, before leaving.