Cabarete & Sosua Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

Mar 31, 2006
First time to Puerto Plata - staying at Caribbean Village Playa Dorado.

Wondered how far the cities of Sosua and Cabarete were by taxi?

Which city has the best beach town?

What restaurants to try out in both cities? Preferably restaurants on the waterfront.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Debbie

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Tashi said:
First time to Puerto Plata - staying at Caribbean Village Playa Dorado.

Wondered how far the cities of Sosua and Cabarete were by taxi?

Sosua is a 20/25 min taxi drive from where you are staying in Playa Dorada and Cabarete is a further 10/15 mins on from Sosua.

Which city has the best beach town?

Depends what you are looking for. Cabarete has a much larger beach compared to Sosua which is a bay. Cabarete is great for water sports such a surfing. kitesurfing. windsurfing etc etc where as in Sosua you can snorkel.

I were you I would make a day trip to see them both.

Enjoy your trip
Daydream

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Taxi fare from Playa Dorada to Sosua will be US$ 25. If you have a little adventure in you, walk out to the road in front of Playa Dorada and catch a publicos (public taxi, shared w/ 6 passengers) for RD$25/person or a gaugua (public van) for RD$ 20/person. The publicos go as far as Sosua, the guagua (POP-Rio San Juan) goes to Cabarete (RD$ 10/person more). Public transportation is safe, just be cautious of pickpockets.

Tashi

Mar 31, 2006
Thanks so much for the great, quick information here!! We are verrry excited to explore this part of our beloved Dominican Republic!! Never been to the North Coast, whoopieeeeee!! Here we come, 18 short daze from now!! Gettin kinda thirsty for some of that Dominican nectar too, PRESIDENTE, YUMMMMMMMMMMYYYY!!!!!!! hehehe!!

Debbie and Jim
Cleveland, OH
U.S.A.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I took a gua gua to Sosua from Playa Dorada many times and no problem it was an adventure lol and cheap. I also would walk out of the Playa Dorada to get a cab. They charge way more getting a cab from the hotel.
I just kept my bag on my lap and off I went with my friends, we saved alot and it let us save a littel to use on cabs at night when we went to the clubs :)
I just wanted you to know that I have experienced it without any problems :)
Oh and we were 3 females.

Have fun we loved Sosua beach a lot of fun but check out Cabarete it is a nice beach as well!!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Tashi said:
Thanks so much for the great, quick information here!! We are verrry excited to explore this part of our beloved Dominican Republic!! Never been to the North Coast, whoopieeeeee!! Here we come, 18 short daze from now!! Gettin kinda thirsty for some of that Dominican nectar too, PRESIDENTE, YUMMMMMMMMMMYYYY!!!!!!! hehehe!!

Debbie and Jim
Cleveland, OH
U.S.A.
Trade you a six of Presidente for a Pastrami on Rye from Corkie and Lenny's.

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
ya I will also agree that it is best for you to walk outside of the Playa Dorada complex to catch any sort of taxi/gua gua. At the resort you will have to pay a a ridiculous fixed rate! We had no troubles (two women) taking the gua gua (bus) a few times while we were there!! Don't wear flashy jewellry or flaunt your money, and you will be fine! After dark, spend the extra for a cab of your own tho. (whch is what we were advised to do by locals)

Enjoy!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
blitz said:
After dark, spend the extra for a cab of your own tho. (whch is what we were advised to do by locals)

Enjoy!
For your return after dark to Playa Dorada, go to the Texaco Station on the main road in Sosua. That is where the publicos (public taxi) starts their route. They run 24 hours, and leave as soon as they get a full load of 6 passengers. The fare is 30 pesos/passenger to Puerto Plata (same to Playa Dorada.). You can pay for extra seats for more comfort, or take the whole car for 180 pesos. If you take the whole car and orffer the drive a extra tip (50 pesos), he will take off the roof sign and drive you into Playa Dorada to your hotel. Much cheaper than a taxi at US $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.