AA Fares

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
It appears that American has dropped a bunch of fares big time. Just a few days ago Tampa to sdq and vice versa were running $420. now they are running $248!!!!! TPA to SDQ at christmas time over $1000. sdq to tpa same time $248!!! check it out on aa.com. looks like spirit and delta are waking the giant.

Jun 5, 2004
Santo X-Mas time is not low season. I think that it is about time that AA did something about there crazy fares. I can also see that its not the same story for the JFK DR market but I guess that our time will come.

Sep 19, 2005
they arent dropping any JFK to STI fares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they dont have any non stop flights out of newark or laguardia either!

from 7hours to over 24 hour flights !!!!!!!!!!!!!! who would choose that to even save $150??????????????????????

bob

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Go figure...?

I paid $365 all taxes inc. NY to Sto Do. this coming Monday. Booked the trip 2 weeks ago. Friend of mine spent 1 hour searching the web and booked at AA $425 same trip 6 weeks from now --I dont get it.

JOHN

Jan 5, 2006
AA prices fluctuate heavily even during the same day, so you can bet that within the same week they will vary as much as $100.

I flew JFK-STI 2 weeks ago for ~$400, and just booked the same route last week to leave next Friday (4/28) for only $345. IMO, Not bad, considering current fuel prices.

Jan 5, 2006
laurapasinifan said:
they dont have any non stop flights out of newark or laguardia either!

from 7hours to over 24 hour flights !!!!!!!!!!!!!! who would choose that to even save $150??????????????????????
Bob, it's not an issue of savings, as the price difference between CO and AA is usually not that significant. If you're only traveling for the weekend, as a lot of people often do, then AA is the better choice because they offer a more flexible schedule. You can work during the day and fly out that same day on AA, instead of being forced to fly out in the AM on CO.

Also, for the average Dominican traveler, who brings along 2 pieces of luggage, CO has become a big joke. Their luggage gets there 2 to 3 days after they do, and everyone and their mother who works at STI has searched through it and helped themselves to whatever they like before the owner sees it.

Sep 19, 2005
Hipocrito Mejia said:
Also, for the average Dominican traveler, who brings along 2 pieces of luggage, CO has become a big joke. .

average dominican traveler!!!!!!!!!! they have at least 4 pieces of luggage!!! what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!!!! they have more crap on every trip that any other nationality I can think of. they always have bags way over weight, they always have carry one twice as big as they are supposed to be! on every flight the last 5 people on the plane spend 10 minutes trying to find a spot for their carry ones because its all full! .......I bet on every flight down i have taken there has been at least 7-8 of those HUGE MONSTER chvas regal boxes that stand about 3 feet high on the flight! ha ha ha

i never fly for the weekend always 4 days or more.. and I love to leave as early in the morning as possible.....

they price flucuation used to be true for AA but for the last 2 months it seems the price has been super steady in the mid 400's for the thrusday departures with tuesday returns.

bob

Jan 5, 2006
Ok Bob, you got me there! :) It really is 4 pieces of bulging luggage that's 20 pounds overweight each, and 4 to 5 pieces of carry-on because the women need to carry 3 to 4 "purses", besides their allowed carry-on piece, and the men want equal treatment, so the same applies.

Anyway, my point is that in your case, if you're going for 4 days, you can leave the evening before you usually would, and spend an extra night with some cold Presidentes while enjoying the company of your chica. ;) That extra night in DR is worth its price in gold for me!

Sep 19, 2005
For me the best flight times are the crack of dawn on the trip down

because no traffic in NY, and I have a complete day with my gf in the dr on the day of arrival

and the best flight out of the DR for me is a 4 or 5 pm departure..because i get to slep late and spend most of that day with my GF...I get back to NY after the traffic has gone, I get home about 11 pm, crash and am ready for work the next day.

pluss I dont have weird times where I have to wake up her or her family coming into the house at some odd hour like 3 am...or say goodbye to my Gf before I leave at 4 am as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

all that isnt work saving even $200 to me!

bob

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I'm with you on those hours bob, and for pretty much the same reasons. For me, what is even more important, and what I am willing to pay a higher airfare for (within reason), is to fly down on Saturday and back on the following Sunday. That enables me to have 9 days/8 nights in the DR and only take 5 vacation days from work.

Sep 19, 2005
sweetdbt said:
I'm with you on those hours bob, and for pretty much the same reasons. For me, what is even more important, and what I am willing to pay a higher airfare for (within reason), is to fly down on Saturday and back on the following Sunday. That enables me to have 9 days/8 nights in the DR and only take 5 vacation days from work.

damn you took the thoughts right out of my head. Not 15 minutes ago I decided I may try that this time.

The reason i alway did a thursday to a tuesday trip was to get the holiday in and get 5 or 6 days with out using as much of my vacation days . But I think now that the sat morning trip through the holiday week and onto the next sunday gives me a longer trip per vacation day used....yeah i have to burn 4 vacation days instead of the 3 but the trip goes from 6 days to 9

and I just checked and the fare is actually $35 cheaper..not that that matters .

so i may book may 27th to june 4th now.

one thing I had always wanted to do was have as many fridays and sat nights down there as possible....but that is less important now days for some reason....this last trip I didnt go to the disco or bar once.....

bob

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm having struggles with AA myself. Two weeks ago I flew non stop from JFK to POP for $350; now those flights don't exist. Don't want to spend $500 and 7 + (minimum) hours to get there.

It's almost the same amount to STI, but it's non stop. Never flew into STI before; know it's about an hour and a half? from Sosua?

What would a taxi cost to go direct from STI to Sosua?

Any news/ideas of when AA might put non stops back on? I'm coming down in the Fall but keep checking flights often.

With fuel prices, is it going to get worse?

Thanks.
Ro

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I checked with AA last night for a flight on Sunday May 28 through Thursday June 1 and it was only $290 R/T from Mia to SDQ...

I just paid $325 for Semana Santa from Wed. to Mon. April 17...

With the way fuel keeps going up...yeah, these prices will not last much longer...better book now...

MQ

Sep 19, 2005
duhtree.....good point apples to apples

AA only list the prices with taxes.

some of the others you need to go a little further in your search before they show the TOTAL fare with taxes.
bob

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for asking for including taxes. What I quoted included taxes and everything from NY to POP.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
yeah. It's just so much easier to make references. For exampleon AA: MIA to POP r/t 5/30 to 6/6 equals $298.00. Or any 7 day spread w/ weekend stay. But with taxes it becomes $415.00. Mia to SDQ is usually about $ 50.00-$ 70.00 cheaper. In my experience.

Jan 5, 2006
sweetdbt said:
Whenever I take 5 days off from work, I do the 9 day stay in order to get 2 full weekends there. I've also done that for the past few Thanksgiving weeks by taking 3 days off.

On the hours thing, it might be just me, but I like the feeling of working that day, and getting there the same night (usually outside by 9:30PM). Getting to JFK from my office in NJ is usually a 35 minute drive with very little traffic, and then a 10 minute monorail ride to the terminal from the long term parking lot. I get to enjoy an extra night there, and can hit the ground running the next morning.