Flying in the DR

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
I have my private pilots license.....is it possible to rent a Cessna in the Sosua area. Next time I go down, I would love to do that and take a few friends up.

Can anyone help me out here???

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
C 182

niagaraman said:
I have my private pilots license.....is it possible to rent a Cessna in the Sosua area. Next time I go down, I would love to do that and take a few friends up.
Can anyone help me out here???

Nobody here likes you to take friends up.
They think it's their business.
Done it.
They convinced me.

m'frog

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
mountainfrog said:
Nobody here likes you to take friends up.
They think it's their business.
Done it.
They convinced me.

m'frog

So what your saying is that there isn't a flying club in the area, like up here in Canada, that will allow you to rent a plane.
Elaborate on your answer a bit :confused: I am a little confused....thanks mountainfrog:)

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Forget It

niagaraman said:
... that there isn't a flying club in the area....
Not that I know of.
Many years ago I used to charter Cessnas in Herrera from a local "carrier". Even after a check-out they insisted that one of their pilots took the right seat...

I don't know whether they still do this.
If so, I'd guess that the costs are high.
I had my own C 182 for about two years here in Saman?
(El Portillo Airstrip) and then sold it.
One of the reasons: see above.

m'frog

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
From an eco-tourism standpoint the Cubs are ideal. However as HB told me those mountains are tricky.

Still, it would be nice to see the DR from a low and slow.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
From an eco-tourism standpoint the Cubs are ideal. However as HB told me those mountains are tricky.

Still, it would be nice to see the DR from a low and slow.
Flying he mountains around the DR can be very, very tricky. I wouldn't do it without real mountain flying training.

The DR just isn't set up for private flying, IMO. Traditional FBO's are non-existant. I haven't had to look for a mechanic, but I'm betting that might be hard to come by.

I just hope they wouldn't maintain an airplane the same way they maintain a car...:cheeky:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Renting a helicopter from Helidosa (with pilot) is a nice low and slow.
They advertise local excursions of various durations. They are usually
3+pilot for cost sharing. I don't remember their website but I'm sure someone will chime in with it. It was posted before.