50 Essential Caribbean Travel Tips

grobar

Mar 13, 2006
1. Make sure you book the room that you actually want If you are two singles traveling together, make sure you ask for two separate beds. If you are a couple, ask for a king size bed. (Yes, if you have a good travel agent, they should be able to accommodate you, and help you with this.)

2. If you are a couple, and you are on your honeymoon or anniversary, you should definitely inquire at the front desk about a free upgrade when you check-in. Please remember that the resort receives emails about room requests all the time. Be understanding as this is only a request. (Note that it is much better to ask in person at the front desk, than to send an email about it.)

3. Make sure you book at a time for your arrival that is convenient for you. If you have to check into your rooms after three in the afternoon and you have booked a morning flight that you arrive earlier, be prepared for that your room may not be ready. If you are arriving in the evening, it should be no problem. Understanding that rooms become available in the afternoon means that you understand people check out for their flights that day, and that rooms must be cleaned by the maid before you can check into yours. Check with your hotel for available check in times.

4. Keep in mind that if you are taking an evening flight home, you will have to check out of your room around noon and will have to store your suitcases in a locked room for the day. This can be a pain as you cannot access showers or all your things to get ready after a day in the sun. Using communal washrooms all day and not having your hotel room available to rest in might be a problem for some people. That being said, some hotels will allow you to pay money to keep your room and offer a late check out. This will be subject to availability. If people are arriving that day and need to check into their room which was yours for the week they might not allow you to do this.

5. Get your clothes together, then divide it in half and put that in your suitcase. It is so easy to over pack and you will always be surprised at how many clothes you did not wear.

6. Anything like mouse for your hair, shampoo, creams etc that may explode in your suitcase on the plane should be packed in plastic bags or alternatively put in your carry on.

7. Arrive three hours ahead of time (I know it sounds like a lot, but on flights where there is no pre-assigned seat, it helps as you can pick your seat and the closer to the exit on the plane means closer to the exit when you get off, closer to customs, and closer to get on the bus when you are going to your hotel).

8. If you have food restrictions, inquire ahead of time.

9. Please be thoughtful of the person behind you- that is, when you are eating, raise your seat back up from the reclined position so that your neighbor has room to eat as well.

10. The movies are not always good. If you have a portable DVD player, ipod, or a PSP; bring it.

LINKS are DEAD

Hope these help!

Last edited by a moderator:

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
This seems to simply be a vehicle to promote His/Her advertising site. Besides that, most of the advise is meaningless drivel for people who sweat the small s**t and should vacation at Disneyworld.

grobar

Mar 13, 2006
This seems to simply be a vehicle to promote His/Her advertising site. Besides that, most of the advise is meaningless drivel for people who sweat the small s**t and should vacation at Disneyworld.

most all inclusive travelers do sweat small stuff. have you read any travel forums lately?

sorry if this wasnt to your liking.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
maybe this should be updated to include - nothing gel, cream, liquid etc in carry ons... the latest mickey mouse B* to keep us all safe from ourselves on an airplane.
Thanks,
Margaret

Sep 15, 2006
:cool: I don't see how this person was promoting anything but maybe common sense(which some people do tend to lack).

I thought your advice was helpful. I already practice those mentioned, all but #5, which made me laugh. I am known for over packing. I call them "options". Cutting the clothes in half can work. #9 needed to be said because some people are in their own worlds and have no consideration.

Thanks
Chelle

brendaf

Sep 18, 2006
hello, I'm going for my first super vacation and never even thought about packing the shampoo and stuff in a plastic bag. Thank You

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
51'st Essential Caribbean Travel Tip

For Travel everywhere and life in general,

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweat-y things.

:bunny:

cg

Grizelda

Oct 6, 2006
We are planning a hoilday to Carribean Feb 2007. We are 50+ and are looking for something small quiet on a beach . We have been several times to Antigua and love one there - Rex Blue Heron. If anyone knows of a similar in DR I would love to hear. I would like to sail a bit and maybe go horse riding but my husband just wants somewhere to chill out with friendly staff. Advice plaese!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Grizelda,

Welcome to DR1. I would suggest that you start your own thread due to the possibility that nobody will see your post above.

At the top of this page you will see "Travel Questions" underlined, click on that. At the upper left hand side of that page you will see "New Thread", click on that. Type in a title name for your thread, fill out your questions and click on "Submit" and sit back and wait for our helpful members to read your request and respond.

I can't answer your questions for you but if you do as I suggest you should get plenty of help. Enjoy your stay here in paradise.

Rick