Bringing Fianceee to USA

deck5

Apr 24, 2006
Ok, I'm new to this. I dont' know if I'm in the right area. But, my fiancee is in the DR. I got the paperwork done, approved in the USA, and now we are waiting for the DR to give us an appointment. How long does this process work? They told me 6-8 months, and it's 7 months, and he isn't on the list yet. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do now? I've called my congress man, talked to the DR Consulate in Chicago. and I don't know what else to do.

deck5

Apr 24, 2006
Ok, I'm new to this. I dont' know if I'm in the right area. But, my fiancee is in the DR. I got the paperwork done, approved in the USA, and now we are waiting for the DR to give us an appointment. How long does this process work? They told me 6-8 months, and it's 7 months, and he isn't on the list yet. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do now? I've called my congress man, talked to the DR Consulate in Chicago. and I don't know what else to do.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
:paranoid:
If they said 6-8 months and it's been 7... .

The fiance is generally a male and the fiancee is generally a female. The fianceee designation may have the authorities stumped, scratching their heads.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Welcome to DR1!

The process is significantly longer than 7-8 months. It's more like 12+ months. But, there should be a government website where you can check your progress once you are assigned a case number.

You will probably get more useful answers to your questions on one of the following sites:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K-1visa_DR/
http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com

Moderator: You may want to move this thread to another forum (and delete the duplicate posting).

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
welcome

I have been waiting for 16 months now, and we are 8,000 on the waiting list. The embassy processes somewhere between 1,000 to 1,500 a month usually so it might be a while. This is how it has been for the past year or so. I have written to the congressman...it does not do anything.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sonny said:
I have been waiting for 16 months now, and we are 8,000 on the waiting list. The embassy processes somewhere between 1,000 to 1,500 a month usually so it might be a while. This is how it has been for the past year or so. I have written to the congressman...it does not do anything.
Wow, 16 months (plus another 5-8 months).

Is this for a K1 or a K3 visa?

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Sorry I forgot which is which, but i filed the i130 and the i129 both. Apprently the fiance visa is also valid for the spouses. I had two numbers on the waiting lists, one for each type of visa, but after I spoke to the congressman the embassy combined them into one. The fiancee visa number was only about 2k earlier than the regular one.

deck5

Apr 24, 2006
Thank you all for the information. He is #11211 on the list. I also wrote to my congressman,and they can only help every 90 days. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is waiting.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sonny said:
Sorry I forgot which is which, but i filed the i130 and the i129 both.
It sounds like you filing for two visa might have slowed down your process.
sonny said:
Apprently the fiance visa is also valid for the spouses.
I doubt if they will approve you for a fianc? visa if you are already married.

sluna77

Aug 25, 2005
I129 is use for both K1 or K3

K1 is for Fiance/Fiancee
K3 is for Spouse

By filing the K3 after the I130, made the petition get to the waiting list 2000 spots before the I130. . which is a diffrence of 1 month.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
I'm sure he is on the list. Call the national visa center and ask them for your case number. Then check the waiting list. Sorry to say 6 months is not even close. I have my interview this month and it has 13 months just waiting for the appointment and 20 months total. That was then, this is now. It takes even longer now and I don't even want to say how long. Could be 2 years total.

You should have posted in the legal section. I'm sure the mods will move this to the right place. In the mean time, please visit my Dominican immigration forum in my signature and wait with the rest of us....

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
I responded to the OP in her "other" post before I saw this one.

sluna77 is correct, when you are married you file the CR-1 (form I-130) and then file the K-3 (form I-129f). This helps you get a better position in the line on the waiting list. Neither spousal or fiance' visa is any faster now. The wait can be as much as 2 years. I have been waiting 20 months.

-Tim
--

Last edited by a moderator:

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
more than 6 months may not be normal

I?ve thought that once your application was received by the consulate they
Only have 3 months to process and approved the visa ?.

Bonao99

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is there a difference in priority/time in waiting for the interview between an approved fianc? visa and an approved I-130 (unmarried, dependantless femaleover 21, child of a US Citizen) visa?

My fianc? finally got the notice her paperwork is being sent to SD after 6.5 years in queue. It took a meeting with my local Congressman to find out what happened to her paperwork, and why the unusually long wait/delay.

TIA.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
bonao99 said:
I?ve thought that once your application was received by the consulate they
Only have 3 months to process and approved the visa ?.

Bonao99

That's almost hilarious and sad at the same time. They can and do take as long as they want. Wait times right now are almost 2 years from application.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
cobraboy said:
Is there a difference in priority/time in waiting for the interview between an approved fianc? visa and an approved I-130 (unmarried, dependantless femaleover 21, child of a US Citizen) visa?

My fianc? finally got the notice her paperwork is being sent to SD after 6.5 years in queue. It took a meeting with my local Congressman to find out what happened to her paperwork, and why the unusually long wait/delay.

TIA.

I take it you may be a legal permanent resident of the USA and not a citizen? That is the only case I can think of where it would take 6.5 years to get to the Consulate level.

Basically right now there is no difference in time except that the approved I-130 must go through the NVC process which takes 60-90 days longer. In the end though, it's a much better way to go in my opinion because your spouse gets the green card upon entry to the USA, and does not have to adjust status for another 2 years after entering.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
K1

"I have my interview this month and it has 13 months just waiting for the appointment and 20 months total. That was then, this is now. It takes even longer now and I don't even want to say how long. Could be 2 years total.
You should have posted in the legal section. "

WHAT??? 2 YEARS?? I called the consulate in Santo Domingo and they told me that our case wouldn't go past December 06'. He also told us that everything looked good and that there isn't a delay because of paperwork. We applied for a K1 back in November 05' and everything went pretty fast when it was here in the US. Now we are waiting for an appointment and every month I get on the website and nothing. This sucks! Meanwhile a case that was issued well after ours and the others on the list got an appointment(how does that work?). I want to plan our wedding but I can't even set a date!! :cry:

sore146

Jun 19, 2006
Well it appears most of us are in the same situation, my fiance is awating for an interview appointment as of 7 months, he appears to be on the waiting list on position no. 11245, any advice or suggestions you might are greatly appreciated.

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
waiting list

sore146 said:
he appears to be on the waiting list on position no. 11245

How did you find your case on the waiting list...what's the order/pattern, anything? Have you been waiting 7 months since your paper work went to DR or in total? What's up with the financial part of the paper work? I never had to fill anything or send anything about income but I've read some posts about it. Does that come later in the game? I just want my man!!! lol, seriously... tell me more!!

Dris

Oct 9, 2006
Hi I Have Not Sent In Any Application Forms In Yet ..i Actually Wanted To Know About How Long Was It Was Taking To Get The Interview Appointment... My Fiance Lives In D.r And I Live In N.j.... If I Put In The Forms In... Must I Stay In Nj Waiting For The Reply Or Can I Live In Dr Till The Apointment Is Given To Us?? Do They Ask For Alot Of Documents???