Hotel at Najayo or Pelenque Playa

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Would anyone know of a hotel or rooms to rent short term at either Najayo or Palenque beaches? If possible a name and phone number would be helpful. Also can anyone tell me the best place in San Cristobal to catch a guagua to Najayo or Palenque beach? Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
BPL888 said:
Would anyone know of a hotel or rooms to rent short term at either Najayo or Pelenque beaches? If possible a name and phone number would be helpful. Also can anyone tell me the best place in San Cristobal to catch a guagua to Najayo or Pelenque beach? Thanks for any help you can give.

Are you on the run? If so, for a fee you can get a fisherman with an outboard to ferry you overnight to Mayaguez PR... ;-) ...
Najayo and Palenque beaches are off the beaten track for foreign tourists, there are no hotels, but rustic overnight accomodations are available (reservations are on a 'first come, first served' basis). For a first time visitor, I suggest driving your own/or rented vehicle, or haggle an appropriate fee from one of the taxi services at San Cristobal's main square, for the entire day/evening or by the hour...

-

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Just a few days at the beach

No, not on the run...yet. I will be visiting friends in San Cristobal and staying at one of the beaches seemed like a nice alternative to staying in San Cristobal. The last time I was there I spent Sunday afternoon at Najayo beach. The area was beautiful and the breakwater made the beach relativly safe for the children that were with us. The restaurants and dance floor were busy and we had a very nice time. I was driven to the beach by the family I was visiting and on the way I saw several guaguas on the road, and I am pretty sure one of them said "Palenque" in the window. I was told that Palenque is a larger beach than Najayo and I would like to possibly spend a day or more in that area. Could it be that everything I saw, the crowds,music,restaurants and guaguas are a "Sunday Only" thing? How would I go about arranging a few nights at the "rustic" accomodations. I may be with a Dominican friend from San Cristobal but so far they have proved to be something less than a wealth of information. What exactly are "rustic" accomodations? Camping? Semi-camping? Are they available at either Najayo or Palenque? I am pretty flexible and adventurous so I can adapt to whatever I find. When in Rome........... And if I there is nothing available I will just return to San Cristobal or the capital. If I do find a flop at one of the beaches what should I expect by way of security? I will be traveling light so if need be I can take everything I have to the beach. The whole area near the beaches is so nice I am surprised that there are not more in the way of accomodations in the area. Depending who you ask, San Cristobal is either the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the DR. A possible business opportunity? Or am I missing something? I have not graduated yet to the expence or "adventure" of driving a car in the DR myself. So far I have managed with my limited spanish to get around on busses and guaguas and I still find the experience interesting and very economical. I know that I am asking a lot of questions and I truely appreciate any help and information that is offered to me. I still have a lot to learn. Poco a poco. Thanks again. Brian

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
A Possible Hotel at Palenque

I found this hotel by seaching on Google. It looks nice but the web site is in German. I have sent an request for info and will advise as to my progress. My sources tell me that there are several decent hotels at the beach but when pressed for details I get the ever popular "no se".Hotel Playa Palenque http://aer-ev.de/user/1025/karibik-individuell/

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Looks Nice at $1200 Pesos/Night

I recieved a reply on the Hotel Playa Palenque. It is run by a Swiss gentleman by the name of Peter Wegmuller and his Dominican wife Maria. There are 9 rooms, a pool, a restaurant and a garden with fruit trees. All rooms have air conditioning, balconys, refrigerators and bathrooms. He also promises "24 hour electricity". For two nights in June he charges 1200 pesos per night for two people, with a "small extra charge" for children, depending on the age. It is a little difficult to send my inquiries in German and to translate his replies but so far so good. It looks like an "off the beaten track" adventure in the making! What's the worst that could happen?? No, wait...don't answer that. I will post more info in a trip report when I return. Hotel Playa Palenque http://aer-ev.de/user/1025/karibik-individuell/Seite2.htm[/EMAIL]

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
One Last Try

I thought I would give it one more try to get information on guaguas to Palenque. I have heard mumblings from my rum-soaked pannel of experts that there may be direct trips from the capital to Palenque, but when pressed for details as to frequency and location I once again get the ever popular " no se ". I will be traveling from the capital to Palenque this Saturday and would like to make the trip as short and painless as possible, though fully knowing what a trip on a guagua to the beach on a Saturday in June may be like. A connection in San cristobal would not be the worst thing that ever happened to me, but the shorter the better. If anyone could shed some sober light on my possabilities I would be eternally grateful. Thanks, Brian

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
See Trip Reports

I stayed in Hotel Playa Palenque 6/10-6/13. It was excellent ! See trip reports for a complete description. (search Palenque)