gifts for my DR friends

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I would like to send some very nice people that I met things that might be difficult or epensive for them buy in the Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata). I heard that perfume/cologne is hard to get and expensive--does anyone know of other things I could send?

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
I bought inexpensive polaroid cameras and extra film for the children of some people I have met. They don't have to pay to develop the pictures and seemed to appreciate it very much. A friend who lived in DR during some post-grad work suggested it and I think it was a great idea.

corazonpartioamor

Apr 28, 2006
gifts for Dominican Friends

I would often bring school supplies and items for children. They really appreciate it. Also dental items were always very welcomed.

I do recall perfume being really poplular as well, so you would be right on about that. Not sure where your from, but here in Toronto at Shoppers Drug Mart, every month they have a perfurm or two that is on special for 19.99. I usually stock up for my trips down there, so I am always prepared.

Women really like jewellry and make up. RAzors are very expensive down there nearly 4 dollars for one, so that is something that was easy to get here in toronto from Costco in a multipack.

Electronics are a fave of many down there, but there may be issues if their customs open your luggage. Appartently you are not permitted to bring electronics there, except for your personal use ie, cd walkmans, mp3 players etc.....

Have fun sharing!

CNV

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
I shipped a tv to a friend of mind and found it to be very expensive. I used UPS, does anyone know a service to use for large fragile items that is not so expensive? I will be shipping from the US to the DR.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Believe it or not a used cellphone would be a gift that would be greatly appreciated.
(but no Nextel's and no ancient ones)
If they can't use it they can always easily sell it for cash.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i always bring down a supply of designer underwear, nypd t's and a couple of yankee's or red sox caps...and of course and decent clothing. It is amazing..i pack a whole suitcase full of stuff and it comes back nearly empty of clothes when i come back. For my good friends they get the new clothes...but i also take other clothing that i just give to sorta casual buddies...and trust me..they are very happy.

I find that luxury items are just that...a luxury...and that most people really appreciate something that they will actualy use.

Oh..I bring some silly stuff too..personalized NYC keychains etc...where a hit with the hotel staff this past trip.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
attenewg said:
I shipped a tv to a friend of mind and found it to be very expensive. I used UPS, does anyone know a service to use for large fragile items that is not so expensive? I will be shipping from the US to the DR.

Where in the US? if you use companies like MONTERO SHIPPING, they are very good, reliable and usually reasonably priced (by my experience)

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
Gifts

My mom goes yearly and what she does is she sends a box ahead (about a month ahead of her trip) with ALL sorts of necesities. She takes toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodrants, soaps (bath and dishwashing), under wear for men and women, shoes. You name it, she sends a shipment. She spends the entire year, from the point she comes back from her trip, buying things to gather for her following trip.

Then in her luggage she takes clothes that she wont send in shipment because shes afraid they will steal it.
when she gets there, its like santa claus arrived. Funny things is that my mom is ALWAYS SAYING "you know what someone in DR would do for a bag like that, shoes like that, pants etc etc", always thinking about someone in DR that might need something.

ANd it is so true, the simplest things are sooo appreciated out there.
when i took my oldest son, whose now 2yrs old, he was 6 months old. there were a bunch of young girls in the town we went to visit with babies. I left ALLL the diapers, my stroller and a bunch of clothes to them. I knew i could easily replace those things back home, they in turn wouldnt come by those things quite as easily.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions! I know what you mean about simple things being appreciated--I had my 17 year old daughter with me and what an eye-opener it was for both of us--especially her!

freekofweek

Feb 22, 2005
The Dominicans really appreciate medication supplies

I have found a big-hit is over-the-counter medication such as Advil, etc.
I gave my Dominican friend a small bottle of Advil for the headache and they were amazed that 50 pills game in a bottle. I was told that 2 advil pills cost about $1 us dollar, so this bottle was like GOLD. Many of the teenage girls appreciate Midol, etc. for monthly cramps. Many Dominicans have major problems with allergies and any medication is very much appreciated.