Travel to La Romana Airport

nonrevtraveler

Apr 30, 2006
In June a group(5) of us will be traveling from the US to stay at Viva Wyndam resort. I believe that this is close to La Romana airport. Is American Airlines the only airline to service this airport from the USA? If we were to fly into SDQ instead, how would we get from the airport to our resort? How much should this cost? Can we make reservations with a taxi company ahead? Is flying into Punta Cana aiport easier? We have not bought our flight tickets yet so are flexible in where we fly to. Thank you for any information that you have. This is our first trip to DR and appreciate your help.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
nonrevtraveler said:
In June a group(5) of us will be traveling from the US to stay at Viva Wyndam resort. I believe that this is close to La Romana airport. Is American Airlines the only airline to service this airport from the USA? If we were to fly into SDQ instead, how would we get from the airport to our resort? How much should this cost? Can we make reservations with a taxi company ahead? Is flying into Punta Cana aiport easier? We have not bought our flight tickets yet so are flexible in where we fly to. Thank you for any information that you have. This is our first trip to DR and appreciate your help.

There are other airlines that fly into LaRomana, and I'm sure a search of some of the travel sites will give you some options from your area.
It is also only 10 to 15 min. to the resort.
SDQ is an option, however it's a 1 1/2 hour drive or more to the resort and will be quite costly by taxi.
Punta Cana is also at least an hour or more from the resort.
Sorry, I don't have costs, as I have never taken a taxi.

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
For some reason, there are not too many flights to La Romana in the summer months. I am travelling to La Romana in July and could not find any other carrier than American Airlines going to that airport so I booked my trip through them to be able to fly into La Romana. I had also gone through my travel agent to inquire about this and she did confirm that many flights to La Romana in the summer months are indeed limited. As the previous poster mentioned, you have the option of flying into SDQ or Punta Cana as there are more options available but they are a further distance from where you are staying and you will need to pay for a bigger fee for your transfer from the airport to your resort. Good luck!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nonrevtraveler,
Welcome to DR1. The distance to your resort should be less then an hours travel time from Punta Cana whereas the trip from the SD airport would be almost 2 hours so distance wise Punta Cana is better then SD. Hang tight as you are sure to get other opinions. We hope you enjoy your stay but in reality I know you will as life here in paradise can't be beat.

When you get back home it would be greatly appreciated if you would give us a report in the "Trip Report Forum". An explanation as to how your vacation went, where you stayed, how the food and service was and needless to say your trip from the airport to the hotel.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask us as we are anxious to help.

Rick

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I have just flown into Santo Domingo and traveled to Bayahibe, in January and April. I booked my transfer with www.dominicantaxi.com who charge $85 one way for a load of 5 people. It is about the same price from Punta Cana. That is likely cheaper than flying into La Romana where you'd probably be paying at least $85 per person more for the opportunity. You can arrange for the trip by contacting Sr. Silva at r.silva@verizon.net.do. If you are able to bring with you any school supplies for donation, he can take them from you at time of pick up and deliver them as to the impoverished schools of Santo Domingo. A look at the site and pictures at http://www.dominicantaxi.com/Donations.html may warm your heart!

A friend did the transfer from Punta Cana to Bayahibe in 75 minutes with Dominican Taxi, and my trips to and from SDQ have been done in 90 minutes. Bear in mind that SDQ is quite a distance east of the city of Santo Domingo. It is 2 hours to get to Santo Domingo, but an easy (and interesting and beautiful!) drive to the airport.

Kaki