As of today, American airlines discontinued JFK-POP Route

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Now it is time

For jetBlue to step up and take over this flight. People do still fly to Puerto Plata and there is a need for a flight to be flown there.

Jun 5, 2004
It makes no sense for them to retake the flight after the summer time because in the summer time is when the most people fly to the destination. If delta or B6 took this route it would definitely be profitable for the time, continental through newark is the only choice.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Jetblue could start the route but i dont think so, they liked so much Santiago better than other places such as SDQ

Delta could start beacause their expansion in JFK hub

Let's see what happen in the future

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
How do you get from STI to Sosua for example. I don't want to take a taxi to a bus.

Are there any other options? What would a taxi from STI to Sosua cost? Are there any public trnasporation like the taxis that stop and pick up people along the way available for that distance?

Or, in the alternative, is it an easy drive to rent a car and do it yourself?

Thanks.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Drro,

All you have mentioned is possible. The problem is getting from the airport to public transportation and how much luggage you would have.

I'll give you a few options:

1. take a taxi to the caribe tours station in town. this is a 15 to 20 minute drive depending on traffic and would cost you between 400 to 500 pesos which at 32 pesos per dollar is $12.50 to $15.50. Then you can just take the bus to sosua (I believe it's 180 pesos and the ride is an hour and a half).

2. take a taxi to the rotonda in santiago and then take one of those public buses called voladoras to sosua. I wouldn't recommend this because you will be crammed and the bus stops too many times. Instead of an hour and half it will be more like two hours and a half and you would only be saving about 100 pesos.

3. rent a car and do the drive - this is a very simple thing to do. if you get lost just ask for directions. Dominican people are very friendly and are willing to help. once you get out of the aiport you take the main road (autopista duarte) towards santiago. you will see the sign of where to turn to go to puerto plata. it is very simple.

Hope I was of help!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You could always ignore the INCORRECT information that was posted by the author of this thread.

He meant to say DIRECT service was halted from JFK-POP. You may still fly to JFK- POP via MIA or SJU. Taxi service is available door to door for about $60 from STI - Sosua.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks all.
Usually I just have carry on luggage, but I'm coming for 3-4 weeks so I'm liable to have to check luggage and don't want to shlep it and probably will opt for either the taxi or renting a car.

On the other hand, the time will either be spent from STI to Sosua or connecting flights from Miami or San Juan. It's a toss up!

Thanks for your input.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Please note: from Sosua to Santiago airport I paid about 35 dollars. Of course my taxi driver was drunk from the night before and almost got us killed...that's life.

However when you are at the airport there is a lot less choice in drivers.

If you want GREAT driving service for a slightly higher price, about $80, but on time, clean van, and will stop wherever you want, send me a pm. I have a great driver in mind.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
True.......but...........

Tamborista said:
You could always ignore the INCORRECT information that was posted by the author of this thread.

He meant to say DIRECT service was halted from JFK-POP. You may still fly to JFK- POP via MIA or SJU. Taxi service is available door to door for about $60 from STI - Sosua.

......The flying time is double to triple on the routes mentioned with the connections available .......flying AA to POP is now terrible....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I did not say I am HAPPY about the demise of AMR 1797/1798, I was merely stating there are other, less favourable routes.

I shall be a loyal EWR-POP passenger on Continental in the near future!

Cheers!

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
%*(&&^ spoiled New Yorkers!

POP Bad Boy said:
......The flying time is double to triple on the routes mentioned with the connections available .......flying AA to POP is now terrible....

We obviously have a lot of people living in the general vicinity of NYC who are accustomed to cheap, direct flights. You don't know how lucky you have been! Try living here in Virginia, where you pay about double the price, and for me, the lack of direct flights from JFK only means 2 connections instead of one, unless I get lucky & can get a decent price from RDU or DC with 1 connection in MIA.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I just checked American and Delta from JFK into STI - there is a $100 disparity between non-stop flights. I'm looking for November to December. Delta is $380; American $485 (roughly including taxes, etc.)

Where are the low fares!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am not sure if there is any correlation between $73 Crude Oil and air fares!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Drro said:
I just checked American and Delta from JFK into STI - there is a $100 disparity between non-stop flights. I'm looking for November to December. Delta is $380; American $485 (roughly including taxes, etc.)

Where are the low fares!!!

Consider those fares to be OK. In the past before DL and CO started to fly to the DR and it was only AA the cheapest fare one could get and that is if you got lucky was $350 R/T.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I just checked Newark (which is pretty far from me but doable) and Continental is $376 (including taxes, etc.) depending on the day of week and availability, of course. And Mondays aren't the best days to check fares. If I come across any lower ones, I'll post (and buy).