Worldpress.org Article on Dominican Students in NYC

Jzakattack

Mar 4, 2006
Hello:

I recently posted an article on Worldpress.org about the plight of newly arrived Dominicans to the NYC public school system. Thank you to those on this forum who offered me direction and advice over the past few weeks in my preparations of this piece. I would appreciate any comments any readers may have.

JZ

http://www.worldpress.org/Americas/2330.cfm

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Jzakattack-

Congratulations. This is a well-written article and IMO you addressed the plight of the Dominican-American 'stigma' and struggle in the school system very well.

Two factors that I think are still a problem today are: the quality of education and the social repercussions of living in an enclave. The education aspect is such a huge problem for immigrant Dominicans in the USA who leave the DR and move to the infamous enclave, fail to assimilate and then become products of their surroundings. Needless to say not all are unsuccessful as you indicate in your article however it is the plight of many.

One aspect that is very important that you mentioned is the language barrier, which I deem as two fold. Many Dominican-Americans in the enclave fail to learn the English and have not mastered Spanish (educational issues from the DR), which is important to understand. A strong command of one's own language facilitates learning another and without competent language skills higher education and job opportunities automatically become limited.

The social problems, which include the types of schools that they are required to go to need change and this is something that happens in other cities as well. Immigrants should not have to go to run down schools in bad neighborhoods with poor teachers and teaching facilities. In my opinion their chances for success are greatly reduced because their learning environment is counterproductive. The perception is the NYC school system just does not want to deal with immigrants and certain immigrant groups and as a result this adds to an already difficult battle.

Key external and internal issues that need to be addressed and changed in order for this cycle to be broken:

* the language barrier- the inability of Dominican immigrants students to speak English when they arrive in NYC and then readily placed in a poor bilingual program/ school system with other Latino students in the same situation is a combination for failure in my opinion. This problem also needs to be looked at from the source. In the DR if these students had been learning English their situation would be much different but no need to expand because we know why this is not happening.

* the quality of education that these particular schools offer as mentioned in the article that these students attend needs assessment, evaluation and change. The NYC school system also has to address the issue of integration of immigrant students. I refuse to believe that all should be categorized in the same way (this includes Puerto Rican students) and forced to participate in a program that in fact impedes their ability to learn.

* the homes that many of students come from are not economically stable, the parents are not education driven and in some cases have very little education themselves therefore education and its importance has never been a priority. As the old adage states: 'you reap what you sow'.

* the enclave is a negative influence for many of these students no need to expand your article clearly outlines the external issues.

In short the inherent social issues internal and external are the prime factors that aggravate the possibility of finding a solution to this ongoing social problem.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Jzakattack,
A well written article and like Lesley D I too offer my congratulations.

Being an American and living here in the DR it is the DR that I am concerned with. The US does have its faults in relation to schooling for its citizens as well as its immigrants but for me this isn't of much concern.

What does concern me is the sad state of the education system here within the DR and something I wish would get more international press coverage. It is evident that the government doesn't try to attack the problem sufficiently to bring about positive results in the educating of its citizens so any pressure brought to bear from external sources would be a plus and might help.

Though the problems are many let me remind everyone that the Dominican Department of Education has determined and still does instruct its schools to begin to teach the Spanish alphabet in the third grade. This is 4 years after having taught a student vowels, syllables and how to read. The simple process of teaching the alphabet prior to the first grade, in my opinion, would further enhance the students ability to learn the vowels, syllables and how to read.

This attempt to connect the wagon in front of the horse is evident in many aspects here in the DR but the inability to see this and apply the necessary changes only insures a continued failure of its people.

In any endeavor a person wishes to pursue it is necessary to first learn the basics of that endeavor and this is true in education also. It is so much easier to pull then it is to push that wagon with that horse.

Rick

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Hey, if you think about it, the corrupt establish Dominican system would not benefits if the people become educated. I really believe that the corrupt Dominican politicians are very aware of this, therefore they do not worry about education that much.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Lesley
I agree with you, of course. But I also like to think of solutions. I believe that in absence of attending a rigorous prepartory school, supplemental programs for students are key to progress. Also, I've been thinking of creative incentive programs to get parent more involved.

Rick,
While I respect where you are coming from, this is the Dominicans Abroad section. However, I agree with pkaide1. The powers that be like things as they are.

Jeff,
Congratulations on a job well done! You summed it up well. Don't get lost. If you are ever near DC visiting SAIS or whatever, holla.

Take Care,
Deelt

Lesley D said:
Congratulations. This is a well-written article and IMO you addressed the plight of the Dominican-American 'stigma' and struggle in the school system very well.

Two factors that I think are still a problem today are: the quality of education and the social repercussions of living in an enclave. The education aspect is such a huge problem for immigrant Dominicans in the USA who leave the DR and move to the infamous enclave, fail to assimilate and then become products of their surroundings. Needless to say not all are unsuccessful as you indicate in your article however it is the plight of many.

One aspect that is very important that you mentioned is the language barrier, which I deem as two fold. Many Dominican-Americans in the enclave fail to learn the English and have not mastered Spanish (educational issues from the DR), which is important to understand. A strong command of one's own language facilitates learning another and without competent language skills higher education and job opportunities automatically become limited.

The social problems, which include the types of schools that they are required to go to need change and this is something that happens in other cities as well. Immigrants should not have to go to run down schools in bad neighborhoods with poor teachers and teaching facilities. In my opinion their chances for success are greatly reduced because their learning environment is counterproductive. The perception is the NYC school system just does not want to deal with immigrants and certain immigrant groups and as a result this adds to an already difficult battle.

Key external and internal issues that need to be addressed and changed in order for this cycle to be broken:

* the language barrier- the inability of Dominican immigrants students to speak English when they arrive in NYC and then readily placed in a poor bilingual program/ school system with other Latino students in the same situation is a combination for failure in my opinion. This problem also needs to be looked at from the source. In the DR if these students had been learning English their situation would be much different but no need to expand because we know why this is not happening.

* the quality of education that these particular schools offer as mentioned in the article that these students attend needs assessment, evaluation and change. The NYC school system also has to address the issue of integration of immigrant students. I refuse to believe that all should be categorized in the same way (this includes Puerto Rican students) and forced to participate in a program that in fact impedes their ability to learn.

* the homes that many of students come from are not economically stable, the parents are not education driven and in some cases have very little education themselves therefore education and its importance has never been a priority. As the old adage states: 'you reap what you sow'.

* the enclave is a negative influence for many of these students no need to expand your article clearly outlines the external issues.

In short the inherent social issues internal and external are the prime factors that aggravate the possibility of finding a solution to this ongoing social problem.

-LDG.

Jzakattack

Mar 4, 2006
Thanks for your thoughtful commentary.

I found researching this article to be quite an education in and of itself, and I was especially intrigued by what Mr. Robert Mercedes (ADASA President) had said to me concerning the deficiencies in Spanish/native tongue literacy of many of the newly arrived immigrant students. While I certainly did not mean to indicate that these are the overriding problems of all - or even most - of the newly arrived Dominicans to the NYC public school system, I am of the impression that such problems affect "more than a few." Incidentally, I can't imagine such problems are exclusive to Dominican immigrants alone.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
That's the whole point...

Jzakattack said:

I found researching this article to be quite an education in and of itself, and I was especially intrigued by what Mr. Robert Mercedes (ADASA President) had said to me concerning the deficiencies in Spanish/native tongue literacy of many of the newly arrived immigrant students. While I certainly did not mean to indicate that these are the overriding problems of all - or even most - of the newly arrived Dominicans to the NYC public school system, I am of the impression that such problems affect "more than a few." Incidentally, I can't imagine such problems are exclusive to Dominican immigrants alone.

Dominicans should not go to NYC for education, they are to close to there own cultural circle, just as if they were living back in the island, with old school values, and all there bad habits.. but I bet if you did resource on Dominican's studing outside NYC...say in Maryland, Virginia, North or South Carolina, Georgia etc... your story will change dramatically..

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Feedback-

Deelt-

I think your I idea will definitely help pave the way to a solution that will benefit newly arrived Dominican immigrant students attain success as they integrate into the NYC public school system. However, funding for this type of suggested program is the pivotal part of launching it and this is where I believe the deepest failure resides and where the change must originate. As mentioned in my first post, the Dominican immigrant struggle in NYC is two fold. Students come to NYC from the DR with social problems; education being one of the many then the NYC public school system exacerbates the problem by limiting their education to dilapidated schools and mediocre instruction. Basically, if their English skills are lacking or not up to speed they are pegged from the start. The parents definitely need to become more involved. These students need direction especially with the overwhelming pressure of a new country and culture. Their parents need to support their educational goals and endeavors. I hope you go forward with any idea that you have in mind.

Jzakattack-

There's nothing that can be misinterpreted in your article. The problem is well described and it certainly does affect more than a few. I do believe as well other immigrant groups face similar struggles and just to keep the comparison similar I am sure research would reveal similar issues among Puerto Rican students who move to NYC from the island more so than those who were born and raised in NYC of PR descent. Another group that has always been of interest to me are newly arrived Cuban students in Florida. Do they face the same struggles and is education a problem as it is for newly arrived Dominicans immigrants in NYC? This would be interesting comparative information.

The Spanish issues are huge which is a topic in itself. However, I will confirm that there are serious Spanish language deficiencies (en toda la extensi?n de la palabra) in the DR. Basic skills- reading, writing and grammar are a struggle for many and again this problem is a deep rooted educational and vernacular speech problem stemming from the DR.

I also agree with Daddy1 and I indicated this in my post when I said the "social repercussions of living in an enclave".

Once again the article was well written and you mastered outlining the issues effectively.

Rick-

The scarce commodity that education is in the DR for the majority all the more reinforces the fact that those who leave need to capitalize on educational opportunities. That's why Deelt's proposal for a solution is so important because not only do these students have a chance for education that they would not have in the DR, a change in mentality to see it as an opportunity is required first.

-LDG.

Jzakattack said:

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Check this book out. I just found it on Amazon.com

The Challenges of Public Higher Education in the Hispanic Caribbean (Hardcover) by Maria Josefa Canino (Editor), Silvio Torres-Saillant (Editor)

Had a 5 star customer rating.