Puerto Plata vacation advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Apr 26, 2006
Greetings,
Family of 5 will be staying at Paradise beach club in june. We are from Calif. I have travelled extensively, family has not. Would love some local input on a few questions.
Want to get the family out during the day to see the Island, the people, so I'd like to rent a car. I have driven throughout Mexico, am familiar with crazy driving, but lots of info here suggest not to rent a car. Any suggestions?
CDC website suggests taking Malaria pills, does the average DR traveler take them?
Looking forward to finding remote beaches to snorkel, planning on Cascade falls trip, whitewater rafting. Would like to find some light tackle, ponga type fishing with a local. Any other ideas, esp for 10/12 year old girls who are very athletic? Thanks for any input.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Jarabachoa for white water rafting, Damagua Falls for some adventure. Snorkelling near Sosua. Light tackle fishing will be hard to find. Send the girls to Ocean World to swim with the dolphins or do the award winning shark encounter.

jo-ex-pop

May 3, 2006
You have to try the horseback riding. A beautiful way to see the Dominican countryside, and meet the Dominican people. Check out the website of Lorilar fine horses- puertoplatahorsebackriding.tk When you get to Paradise Hotel look for their representative at the activities /towel service area for information and reservations. Believe me, the horses and the staff are superb, and at a reasonable price too!!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
13 visits to the North coast in the past 4 1/2 years and I have yet to take a Malaria pill, nor do I know or know of anyone who has taken one. Considering how rare Malaria is in the DR and the fact that ALL medications have negative side effects, I think it's far more likely you will get sick from taking it than from not taking it.

marton

Mar 20, 2006
15 times on the North Coast & no Malaria pills although I have met several people who have taken them on medical advice, all of them ILL???

G

gary short

Check out Punta Rusia on a weekday if you want remote beach and snorkeling..........hour and a bit drive. Sosua is a few minutes away and if you can float you can swim to the reefs just off the beach........busy beach. Also consider Rio San Juan- Laguna Gri-Gri. If you want to swim and snorkel a reef system off of an incredibly beautiful white sand palm fringed uninhabitated beach it's Playa Bonita..... west of Las Terrenas...unbelievable. It's a long day trip or an overnighter. I've seen some beautiful terrain in my life but Playa Bonita tops the list. Have fun it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.