POP Agua Negra

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I almost forgot to post this latest info about the large water tubes that spilled into the ocean on the Malecon, the ones we refered to in that thread with the ship that was stuck at the port entrance.
It would seem that those Agua Negra water tubes are now dry, 24hours/day, 7 days/week.
The area still smells bad, but I am assured by residents that the municipal government is on the job, intending on cleaning it all up, including some dredging.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
This is one step of many needed to upgrade the sewage treatment plants, remove the power plants and oil storage tanks, dredge the port facility, revive the tour ship dockings and revive the beaches. My hat goes off to local government for the huge improvements being made in the vicinity of the new university, the impressive rebuilding of the Malecon and access roads. Progress is certainly being made! Canadian Bob.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
corrections

BoB, All of that you attributed to the local government (particularly the new university) are actually the initiative of Leonel and the current national government. They are also been funded by it, ..

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
aegap said:
BoB, All of that you attributed to the local government (particularly the new university) are actually the initiative of Leonel and the current national government. They are also been funded by it, ..
Actually, that's my fault, for citing the local government.
I realize the feds are picking up the tab, but the requests came from local pressure.
Here's a short story, if you have time.
I was in POP having my brakes done at la Clinica de Frenos. To kill time, I walked down to the Malecon with my dog, and first saw the quantity of black water being dumped in the ocean.
As it happens, some pharmacies were advertizing on the side of the structure and it tickled my sense of humour, as you would surely need to buy medication after swimming in those waters.
After returning to the brake shop, I was chatting with the main secretary there, mentioned to her about the irony of pharmacies posting there, when she asked me if I wouldn't mind if she used that as a topic at the university, for some assignment she had.
A couple of weeks later, I was telling one of our employees the same funny story and he told me that it had been discussed, only days before at his university (in POP), and they were organizing a group of students to take it to the mayor's office.
The project being to stop the black water dumping, and to set up a water purification plant.
That is what they are doing now, and although I don't know how much they had to do with the job getting done, it seems to corroborate that the initial steps came from the local government.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
aegap said:

Thanks aegap! I suspected the funding came from Leonel's Government, but the aggressive programs with workers everywhere like ants suggests that the local government is at least responsible for doing excellent work with the money that is politically funded. Puerto Plata certainly is looking better already, despite some traffic screwups due to pipe instalations.
Tomorrow I'll be back in Canada, but I can't wait to see the improvements when I return in November! Cheers.. Canadian Bob.