Supermarket and Outdoor Markets Near Parque Independencia

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Could anyone tell me if there is a good size supermarket near (walking distance) Parque Independencia? I hope to find a place with a decent variety of meats and vegetables. Are there any outdoor markets for food/vegatables/fruit nearby? I know there are some vendors near Parque Enriquillo, but is that the closest? I've heard that the Parque Enriquillo area can be a bit unsafe at times but I would be there around mid day. I've also heard that there are outdoor vendors near the corner of Duarte and Mella. Does anyone know what type of stuff they sell there? Any recomendations? Thanks for any help offered.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is an outdoor fruit and vegetable market - Mercado Modelo - in the Av. Mella area, behind the covered crafts market of the same name. There used to be a Nacional supermarket on Av. Mella itself, not sure if it's definitely still there. The large department store La Sirena further along has a supermarket section. On El Conde you have La Despensa supermarket.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
One block down El Conde, there is the Lama supermarket on the left side.

There is a smaller version of La Cadena supermarket about 9 or 10 blocks west from the Park. It is located on Cervantes, one block above Ave Independencia. Walk against the traffic on Independencia, and one block past the traffic light at Pasteur, you will see the PLD headquarters. Go up one corner to La Cadena on the left. They also have boys who will deliver your stuff to your home with a bicycle/cart. Better selection and prices.

Two streets above Parque Independencia (at the Bombero station), turn right onto Ave Mella and then go up Mella about 3 corners, and look to the left. There are fruit and vegetable vendors set up on both sides of the street for a couple of blocks, and they sell any fruits/vegetables available in the country. Best time to go is in the morning.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Excellent Information

Thank you Chirimoya and Gringocarlos for the information. While I am in the capital I'm staying in a room that includes a "kitchen". If it is equipped well enough I hope to cook a few meals, and fresh ingredients will make all the difference. And spending a few hours food shopping DR style should be an interesting and educational experience for me. Thank you again. Brian

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Also

GringoCArlos said:
One block down El Conde, there is the Lama supermarket on the left side.

There is a smaller version of La Cadena supermarket about 9 or 10 blocks west from the Park. It is located on Cervantes, one block above Ave Independencia. Walk against the traffic on Independencia, and one block past the traffic light at Pasteur, you will see the PLD headquarters. Go up one corner to La Cadena on the left. They also have boys who will deliver your stuff to your home with a bicycle/cart. Better selection and prices.

Two streets above Parque Independencia (at the Bombero station), turn right onto Ave Mella and then go up Mella about 3 corners, and look to the left. There are fruit and vegetable vendors set up on both sides of the street for a couple of blocks, and they sell any fruits/vegetables available in the country. Best time to go is in the morning.

There is also a La Despensa on Mella and santome about the same size or a little smaller than the one on El Conde and duarte