Gotta love those street mechanics.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
For those of you folks who don't treat your cars better than your wives. Here are some tips to have your car well maintained cheaply.
I have an old car which, certainly, isn't worth paying dealer prices for general maintenance / repair jobs. Since I live in santiago, I had gotten to know a few places where I can simply take my car for small repair jobs that only costs me a few bucks at a time.
For example: I have been having several small problems in my car for some time and then (lately) the problems compounded: over heating, leaking power steering tube attached to metal tube, busted cover for Punta de eje (drive shaft, and a non functioning a/c fan.
All my problems were solved in one street alone Av. J Armando Bermudez in Pueblo Nuevo. This is the street that you take from ferreteria Bellon, make a right if you are coming from Hache and drive all the way down and you will see all the businesses on either side of the street. I first went to a radiator shop. They uninstalled my radiator, opened it up and cleaned all the tiny tubes inside, treated it with chemical to clean the passage within motor and all the radiator and also took out my thermostat, refilled it with coolant. All 2 hour plus job cost me only 500 pesos. Then they took my car to a place where they repair and rebuild drive shafts (punta de eje). They took out my drive shaft, cleaned it from inside and re-packed it with greese and put a new rubber cover on it, then reinstalled it. All for 400 pesos. Then I took my car next door to a a/c tech. He opened up my dash board then uninstalled the a/c fan. Then he disappeared for 30 mins and came back with a nice fan. Installed it and my a/c blows out cold air like a new unit. The fan cost me 800 pesos and the labor 200 pesos. I am a happy chappy.
Today I left the car to have this special power steering fluid tube changed. This is a special tube which has one part rubber hose attached to either side with metal tubes. This tube is not easily obtained in DR, only special part stores order it ex: repuesto santiago ( famous car part store in santiago). I could imagine how much that will cost me if the tube has to come from usa. Not a problem, I am told there is a taller (work shop) where they will rebuild my original tube to factory's specs just for a few dollars and right on the spot while I wait. So I left my car with a mechanic and he will have it all done by afternoon.
Most of these stores have either a work shop inside or a street mechanic right outside to do the job right there while you wait. All work is done to my satisfaction and cheap. You gotta love this country.
Now I don't recommend folks to use their services for complicated electrical or engine work. These guys are only good for changing a shock, breaks, small electrical work, radiator work, drive shaft work and other maintenance work. If you need your engine rebuild, don't use a street mechanic. I have a better place for that, "taller de carlos" in calle padre las casas.
AZB

Added info: If you by any chance hit a huge pot hole in this country, destroy your tire and cause a bent in the rim or aluminum alloy, not a problem. "camiseta" on 20 de febrero (near Koalex pharmacy, near colinas mall) will restore your bent alloy. For 300 to 350 pesos he will blow torch heat the rim and use special round hammers to restore the rim to factory's specs. Then he takes the rim inside to a machine shop and fine tunes it by finely cutting the inside of the surface of the rim to make it perfectly aligned. he is very famous for doing this work.
AZB

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Hey Aftab, next time you are in that area stop by Cafeteria JC directly accross from the big sports betting place with all the satellite dishes on top. This is a hole in the wall next to the pink wooden colmado.

They have quite possibly the coldest presidente in Santiago. Tell my father-in-law I sent you and he will make sure you get the real cold stuff.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Oh and while we're on the subject, I have a '86 Diesel Mercedes that needs a good mechanic who understands it and doesn't just scratch his head a wiggle stuff when something is wrong with the car.

It is in relatively good condition but I would like it to stay that way. I think there are some loose motor mounts in there and also My suegro wanted to do me a favor and wash the engine for me, (since he never borrows anything without trying to return it in better condition than he got it in) and unfortunately got stuff wet that shouldn't be. Since then the heating coil is not working. (or something) I know less about cars than your average hamster.

Anybody know who can work on a car like that without breaking more stuff than they fix?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MrMike, I would go to Sosua for a German mechanic and Rocky knows a real good English mechanic there as well. That's a real nice car and it would be a pity if it is not correctly maintained.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I messed up the left rear quarterpanel and back door rubbing up hard against a concrete pole in the parking lot at Crystals Dry Cleaners in Santiago (BTW-an EXCELLENT dry cleaner). It was a rental CR-V. In the states it would have been a $2000 repair, and taken 10 days.

My fiance's brother took us to a little funky raggedy body shop in the back streets near the Verizon Club. 3 days and RD$3000 later, you couldn't tell it had ever been damaged.

Cool beans.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Mr.Mike, go see the mechanic in front of restaurant Mr.cook, near plaza internacional. These guys only work on german cars and they have good experience on mercedes models. I have never owned a mercedes so I have never used their services. Take a look at them.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Update on power steering hose.
I left my car with the mechanic this morning. They took out the metal / rubber hose off the power steering pump and took it to a place to have it rebuilt. It seemed the rubber portion of the hose which connects to metal tube was leaking. This pipe/hose is difficult to find in DR and costs a fortune if you order it from usa. Well, there was a workshop nearby where they take in the original and refurbish the unit with a rubber hose of their own. The new pipe/hose is installed and looks a whole lot stronger than the original fitting. I think I don't have to worry about having this pipe leak for another 15 yrs. The whole job cost me 750 pesos which included: taking off the hose from under the car where it connects to power steering pump and from top where it connects to power steering fluid tank. Then they shipped it to the shop and waited till it was rebuilt, then the guy brought it back and installed it in my car and put in more power steering fluid. All done for 750 pesos. The new hose/metal tubing itself would have set me back 3 times the amount if I were lucky.
AZB

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
AZB said:
Update on power steering hose.
I left my car with the mechanic this morning. They took out the metal / rubber hose off the power steering pump and took it to a place to have it rebuilt. It seemed the rubber portion of the hose which connects to metal tube was leaking. This pipe/hose is difficult to find in DR and costs a fortune if you order it from usa. Well, there was a workshop nearby where they take in the original and refurbish the unit with a rubber hose of their own. The new pipe/hose is installed and looks a whole lot stronger than the original fitting. I think I don't have to worry about having this pipe leak for another 15 yrs. The whole job cost me 750 pesos which included: taking off the hose from under the car where it connects to power steering pump and from top where it connects to power steering fluid tank. Then they shipped it to the shop and waited till it was rebuilt, then the guy brought it back and installed it in my car and put in more power steering fluid. All done for 750 pesos. The new hose/metal tubing itself would have set me back 3 times the amount if I were lucky.
AZB
Aftab, I've been wondering if you're trying to kill your Toyota :D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mike, I don't know why I don't just shoot you and put you out of your misery!!

You have my numbers....you go to "La Estrella Alemana" just where Aftab said, just a little past Mr/ Cook. On the right. You ask for Freddy. He is the owner.

You tell him I sent you and that you know he has a great reputation.

He will fix it like new.

HB :ermm:

G

gary short

I rented an AWD type SUV in Sosua....low mileage, good shape etc.
We're both mechanically inclined and checked out said SUV......seemed OK. Off we went to the Samana Peninsula. No problems......drove the hell road to El Valle and back to the highway in a rain squall, passing a convoy of all terrain vehicles....no problem.
Down to Las Terrenas to hang out.
Rush hour at 3pm...downtown Las Terrenas, freakin grid lock. We're behind a pickup truck full of school kids.
All of a sudden the engine makes a grinding farting noise and one of the kids in the pickup runs his finger across his throat.
A pulley had come off and all the bearings were bouncing down the road...........blah..blah..blah.
My buddy jumps on a concho and reappears in 20 minutes with two "mechanics" and all the parts.
All in 18 bucks. I love this place.