How did a lummox like "Hipolito Mejia" became president?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
How did a lummox like "Hipolito Mejia" became president?

The same way that George W became president. A bunch of lummoxes voted him in.

-

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
As of Hippolito, it is very easy to understand if you hang out a bit in the barrios, have a drink with regular folks, watch them play domino, and hear them talk about politics after a couple of drinks...

They speak like Hippolito, and are absolutely the right marketing target for a guy like him. I am actually fearing PRD might return in 2008, in spite of the polls...

For the mainstream dominican, there's some kind of a sainthood veneration of Pe?a Gomez, and they rever the PRD as their party, that deserves their fidelity...

Of course, it's all a big lie since PRD is the most corrupted party in the nation...

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
As soon as those Dominican domino playing barrio boys, they voted him out, resolutely. Can't say the same about them Pat Roberson/Jerry Falwell following Passionate Christian Conservatives, ..

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
totenkopf said:
Just "HOW" did he do it?

He did it because people believed in him. The poor working class, heard him speak of the things that interest them, like agriculture, he was an (how do u say agronomo)??? sorry. Not only did he promise to work for the poor people, even though they all make promises, but he spoke their language, he even used the same words they did, they could relate to him. Even my mom who was not into politicians was on his side and she wasn't a Perredeista, normally the Cibao region has been fromthe Red party, well now they are more Peledeistas. By the middle of his term my mom was outraged at his behavior and way of expressing himself, just disgusting.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
How? By buying votes with the money from the NY and Madrid dominican mafia, and paying them back with bonos soberanos at 100%/month.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Squat said:
They speak like Hippolito, and are absolutely the right marketing target for a guy like him. I am actually fearing PRD might return in 2008, in spite of the polls...
Your average Dominican will tell you that in his time, people on the streets had more work and more money. Could be the economy is doing better but the "people" aren't.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
... Funny like everytime I walk around the barrio and hear "azarozo", I think of Hippolito Mejia !

That word and himself are stuck together in my mind now...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"lummox" - I like the word. Never heard it before. I'm sure I'll have many an opportunity to use it.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Dominican Constitution???

Hey whats the deal with the Dominican Constitution, can Meija actually run for reelection? An indicted banker said Mejia heads a group of gangsters(a political group of the PPH and his "goat" allies of the Reformist Party) who have helped Meija obtain political support to amend the Dominican Constitution and opt for re-election.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
monster said:
Hey whats the deal with the Dominican Constitution, can Meija actually run for reelection? An indicted banker said Mejia heads a group of gangsters(a political group of the PPH and his "goat" allies of the Reformist Party) who have helped Meija obtain political support to amend the Dominican Constitution and opt for re-election.

heavens forbid!!!!!