some sort of insect?

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
There is some sort of insect eating away at my pine furniture leaving either eggs or/and dust.. I always thougth it was termites but was told by my maid that it was not termites and that it is impossible to get rid of these insects... just wondered if there is anyone else having the same problem and if they know what can be done.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Your cheap pine crate furniture is infested with 'comejente' (as a young neighbor use to say)...

-

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
They are called Calcoma.

Bugs in furniture are called calcoma
Bugs in bed are called chincha
Bugs in rice or beans are call gorgojos
Bugs in people hair are call piojos
Bugs in pubic hair are call ladilla

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
x6fsco.jpg

If the damage looks like this, then it is woodworm (carcoma), and there are several products on the market to treat infected wood...

-

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
...not such a bad deal. Here in the USA we have to pay extra for the furniture maker to drill those little holes.

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
insects

You got termites !!!! Virtually impossible to get rid of & they spread like H..l!
If you discover a remedy, I'll go into business with you & make a bundle...
Canadian Bob.

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
canadian bob said:
You got termites !!!! Virtually impossible to get rid of & they spread like H..l!
If you discover a remedy, I'll go into business with you & make a bundle...
Canadian Bob.

Thanks Canadian Bob .... If I discover a remedy I'll let you know. Yes, I know these termites love Pine. I hate Pine. This is not my furniture but belongs to my rented house.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chester4 said:
Thanks Canadian Bob .... If I discover a remedy I'll let you know. Yes, I know these termites love Pine. I hate Pine. This is not my furniture but belongs to my rented house.

Chester4, here's a lead for further research... Years ago, every day my bedroom closet floor would wake up to mounds of wood dust produced by termites, woodworm, carcoma or whatchamacallit bugs eating away at the wood lined closet and shelves. I tried different commercial bug sprays, with no success. The problem seemed to be getting worse and worse. Then one day, I was given a large pack of assorted incense sticks from India, and I stashed them away on a shelf inside the closet. Low and behold! the wood dust on the floor dissapeared. I decided to leave the incense in the closet... The bugs never came back.... Coincidence?

-

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
Seriously, if they are termites, there is some kind of dusting powder that you can buy in the DR to kill them. I don't know the name of it but all is not lost. I think this stuff is poisonous but it does work. It is used a lot in the campo to kill termites on trees.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Mirador said:
Chester4, here's a lead for further research... Years ago, every day my bedroom closet floor would wake up to mounds of wood dust produced by termites, woodworm, carcoma or whatchamacallit bugs eating away at the wood lined closet and shelves. I tried different commercial bug sprays, with no success. The problem seemed to be getting worse and worse. Then one day, I was given a large pack of assorted incense sticks from India, and I stashed them away on a shelf inside the closet. Low and behold! the wood dust on the floor dissapeared. I decided to leave the incense in the closet... The bugs never came back.... Coincidence?

-
Incredible!! I'll try it... By the way, "Catnip" sprinkled behind fridge, stove, etc keeps cockroaches away.... It isn't poisonous but it interferes with their breathing. Canadian Bob.