• Mondongo

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Mofongo

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
We all love at least one Dominican dish.

Mmm, from the typical Bandera Dominicana which fills any empty stomach with perfect satisfaction to the delectable chivo asado, especially if the "chivo" come from Monte Cristi.

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
We all love at least one Dominican dish.

Mmm, from the typical Bandera Dominicana which fills any empty stomach with perfect satisfaction to the delectable chivo asado, especially if the "chivo" come from Monte Cristi.

Which Dominican dish do you enjoy the most?

-NALs

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Nals, none of the dishes listed in your poll are exclusive of the DR, nor can they be considered typical since they are commonly available in practically every Caribbean country. Of course, maybe not with the same names... Also, chivos from Montecristi are not particularly tastier than chivos say from Azua...

-

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
Nals, none of the dishes listed in your poll are exclusive of the DR, nor can they be considered typical since they are commonly available in practically every Caribbean country. Of course, maybe not with the same names... Also, chivos from Montecristi are not particularly tastier than chivos say from Azua...

-

Do you have to pee on every parade that goes by?

You have never had an unspoken (or untyped) thought.

Scandall

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Mirador said:

-

ok you might be right about these dishes not being exclusive to the DR, but they are some of the most popular dishes associated to the DR. As Dominicans these are the dishes we grew up with. I also love the Moro de habichuelas negras with chicken stew that my sister in law makes, mmmmmmm with some platanos maduros, mmmmm, oh I'm hungry now...

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
There is nothing quite like berenjena (eggplant) which has been pre-charred (to impart a wonderful flavor) in a home made anafre

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
expatsooner said:
I have to give a write in vote to habichuelas con dulce.
Now you are talking my language xpat.

I would kill for some right about now.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
M.A.R. said:
ok you might be right about these dishes not being exclusive to the DR, but they are some of the most popular dishes associated to the DR. As Dominicans these are the dishes we grew up with. I also love the Moro de habichuelas negras with chicken stew that my sister in law makes, mmmmmmm with some platanos maduros, mmmmm, oh I'm hungry now...

My step grand mother used to make a killer chambre.

I can eat a whole pot of that stuff.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My old time favorite is boiled lobster sautered in slightly piquant creole sauce, accompanied with fried green plantain slices smothered in salty garlic sauce. Of course, you have to enjoy it sitting by the beach overlooking the Bah?a de Neiba. And if you don't believe me, just ask Mr. KFC himself...

-

-

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Sancocho gets my vote...

I picked my mother on my way home Friday night so she could spend the weekend and continue our ritual of making sancocho at least once a month. She and my wife spent the better part of Saturday morning driving around buying the freshest ingredients available; I didn't get home early enough Saturday to kill a fresh chicken from our flock so Foster Farm fowl was used. White rice and aguacate were present at the table along with Salsa Maya from Yucatan(xxx-hot from chiles habaneros). I slept soundly last night and will have sancocho for lunch in about an hour from now.
My neighbor has some goats for sale and I'm thinking of getting one for a weekend of "chivo asao y guisao". My next challenge is getting a case of Presidente our here in the sticks and getting some Dominicans to drive out here from LA. Life is good!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
Nals, none of the dishes listed in your poll are exclusive of the DR, nor can they be considered typical since they are commonly available in practically every Caribbean country. Of course, maybe not with the same names...
-
I never said there were exclusive of the DR. What I did said was "we all love at least one Dominican dish."

Mirador said:
Also, chivos from Montecristi are not particularly tastier than chivos say from Azua...
The extra taste must be attributed to regional rivalries.

Only a sure?o would say such thing Mirador, oh I forgot, you are a sure?o. ;)

-NALs

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Mr_DR said:
My step grand mother used to make a killer chambre.

I can eat a whole pot of that stuff.

wow, long time I didn't hear that word "chambre", yeap you're right that sounds good, a soupy bean dish. when I was a little girl I used to love spaghetti with ahuyama, (squash) mmmm, now I like the ahuyama with sardines and fried eggs.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
M.A.R. said:
wow, long time I didn't hear that word "chambre", yeap you're right that sounds good, a soupy bean dish. when I was a little girl I used to love spaghetti with ahuyama, (squash) mmmm, now I like the ahuyama with sardines and fried eggs.

M.A.R,

You used to eat the ahuyama boiled like potatoes?

I have to go back there and boost my immune system back up by eating up some ahuyamas and castanas.

When I go there I always get my aunt to make me another dish that enjoy soooo much. Spaguetti con habichuelas....mmmmmmm that with some white rice is all you need to tickle that tummy.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
chicharon con platano first thing i eat when i arrive. mmmmmmmmmm
with a agua de coco. Heaven on earth
Or at Esperanza a freshly caught and bbqed fish with some yucca, lemon and a president?

Simple, straightforward cheap and GIVE ME SOME MOREEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Greetings

Johan

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Mr_DR said:
M.A.R,

You used to eat the ahuyama boiled like potatoes?

I have to go back there and boost my immune system back up by eating up some ahuyamas and castanas.

When I go there I always get my aunt to make me another dish that enjoy soooo much. Spaguetti con habichuelas....mmmmmmm that with some white rice is all you need to tickle that tummy.

Oh yes ahuyama cut up into 4-6" pieces and boiled they added a little salt back then but when I make them now I don't add any salt, cooked for a few minutes covered cause squashes don't take long to cook, their own sweetness comes out and its awesome.
I remember as a little girl we ate a lot of a particular produce cause when it was in season everybody had them.