A d?nde ir? sin ti- Raulin R

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A fellow DR1 poster asked me for my feedback on this new release by Raulin Rodriguez and I will reply to the PM but I figured I would share my thoughts with those of you who are interested and also share the same admiration for bachata and Raulin?s music.

I must say Raulin has done it again and has certainly shown a different aspect of his musical ability. This new release titled A d?nde ir? sin ti is a musical treasure. This album will definitely compete with some of more popular bachata artists in today?s musical sphere. The instrumentation on this cd is unique as Raulin is usually predictable but I hear some unique musical nuances that add a special touch to many of the songs. The cd is composed of nine bachatas, one merengue (superb!) and a very good rendition of the infamous Cuban song Guantanamera en bachata which is the last song on the album.

The female vocalist that has accompanied Raulin since the beginning of his career is his sister Casilda and for the first time she does a solo on his album. Song number five is sung by Casilda-Lo mejor que me ha pasado.

To those of you who like soft sounding danceable bachata with sentimental lyrics add this cd to your collection. You will not be disappointed.

-LDG.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I love Raulin. This was one of the CDs Angel bought me on his recent trip. I haven't listened to it yet, but now that my esteemed friend Lesley has recommended it, I am very anxious to hear it. Thanks for taking the time to write about it!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina-

I don't want to spoil it for you by commenting anymore but the cd is a gem. In fact I have two other new salsa cds that I would like to listen to but I keep grabbing Raulin instead.

Since we are talking about new releases I am not sure how much salsa you listen to but I am sure you have gathered from my past comments about music that I am a loyal fan of Colombian salsa. If you are looking for authentic Caribbean sounding salsa I recommend Alberto Barros. He was and still is instrumental in the success of the majority Colombian groups on the market today. Groups like Fruko y sus Tesos, Grupo Gal?, The Latin Brothers etc. the classics of Colombian salsa all have had leadership from Alberto Barros. His latest release and one by Fruko are yet to be played but I will listen to both in the next few days.

Do enjoy the Raulin cd and I would like to hear your comments as well... yo no quisiera llorar por ti pero se me salen las l?grimas...

-LDG.

Last edited:

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Lesley D said:
I don't want to spoil it for you by commenting anymore but the cd is a gem. In fact I have two other new salsa cds that I would like listen to but I keep grabbing Raulin instead.

Since we are talking about new releases I am not sure how much salsa you listen to but I am sure you have gathered from my past comments about music that I am loyal fan of Colombian salsa. If you are looking for authentic Caribbean sounding salsa I recommend Alberto Barros. He was and still is instrumental in the success of the majority Colombian groups on the market today. Groups like Fruko y sus Tesos, Grupo Gal?, The Latin Brothers etc. the classics of Colombian salsa all have had leadership from Alberto Barros. His latest release and one by Fruko are yet to be played but I will listen to both in the next few days.

Do enjoy the Raulin cd and I would like to hear your comments as well... yo no quisiera llorar por ti pero se me salen las l?grimas...

-LDG.

I have quite an extensive collection of salsa music but I have never heard of Alberto Barros before but I will give him a try soon. Frukos y Sus Tesos and the Latin Brothers are also representing well for colombian salsa but I think that colombian salsa cannot be complete without mentioning Sonora Carruseles.

I am yet to try the new Raulin yet because I always like to listen to his music before I buy it. Atimes he sounds a bit too predictable but I can not take anything away from him. He is good.

Lately I have been doing a bit of Latin pop (exclusively the latin versions). Alejandro Sanz, Ricky Martin, Jon Secada,Gloria Estefan, Enrique Iglesias. Great music all of them. I somehow get the feeling that these artists seem to bring out their best in their latin versions.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Sholly24 said:
I have quite an extensive collection of salsa music but I have never heard of Alberto Barros before but I will give him a try soon. Frukos y Sus Tesos and the Latin Brothers are also representing well for colombian salsa but I think that colombian salsa cannot be complete without mentioning Sonora Carruseles.

I am yet to try the new Raulin yet because I always like to listen to his music before I buy it. Atimes he sounds a bit too predictable but I can not take anything away from him. He is good.

Lately I have been doing a bit of Latin pop (exclusively the latin versions). Alejandro Sanz, Ricky Martin, Jon Secada,Gloria Estefan, Enrique Iglesias. Great music all of them. I somehow get the feeling that these artists seem to bring out their best in their latin versions.

Angel is actually a big fan of Alberto Barros. He had me checking out on-line CDs a while ago, and then we decided to wait until he went to the DR. He didn't find any when he went, so we're back at square one. It sounds like you and Angel have a lot of the same musical tastes, Lesley.

Sholly24, while checking out Latin music, don't skip over Carlos Vives. Marc Anthony has also been doing some good work. If you like romantic music, I highly recommend Marco Antonio Solis - he is probably my favorite singer of all time - absolutely incredible. I put a lot of faith in Lesley's recommendations for music - she has never steered me wrong. I usually believe in "each to his own" for music taste, but her taste is pretty well-aligned with mine, so if she says it's good, I don't hesitate to give it a try.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
some of my favorites

Ricardo Montaner
Alexandre Pires
Franco De Vita
Luis Miguel
Marco Antonio Solis
Myriam Hernandez

and Los Golpes - "Olvidarte Nunca":)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
Ricardo Montaner
Alexandre Pires
Franco De Vita
Luis Miguel
Marco Antonio Solis
Myriam Hernandez

Ditto on Franco de Vita and Ricardo Montaner. I like Luis Miguel, but he's not my favorite. I've never heard of Alexandre Pires or Myriam Hernandez. Overall, very good taste, Ricardo.

Add to my list (of non-Dominican Latin music):
Gilberto Santa Rosa
Los Panchos
Ricardo Arjona
Mana
Camilo Sesto
Los Temerarios (awesome)
Leo Dan (he's a little hit and miss with me, though - more hit than miss)
and always...Julio Iglesias
and in case I don't stress it enough...Marco Antonio Solis (solo o con Los Bukis)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Ricardo900 said:
Ricardo Montaner
Alexandre Pires
Franco De Vita
Luis Miguel
Marco Antonio Solis
Myriam Hernandez

You must add Ana Gabriel - que sentimiento!!
all these on ur list are great!! I've always been a fan of Luis Miguel
I hope to some day be he next girlfriend, :cheeky:

going back to Raulin, he's the one that sings "si no te tengo", right, I looooove that bachata, is awesome!!!! last time I was in the DR it was playing all over, a whole bunch of us went to a party near San jose de las Matas, somewhere near the Ceiba river, club Los Hermanos, I believe is the name, they kept playing it, our table was full of grande Presidentes and we all kept singing along, we had a blast!

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mis amigos-

Sholly-

I agree with you Sonora Carruseles is a wonderful group although other salsa artists may disagree. Some question their authenticity because they do a lot of covers. However, I judge music by instrumentation and lyrics. Sonora Carruseles has patented what is called "salsa boogaloo". No other group out there can create sounds like Sonora Carruseles IMO. Not even classic salsa groups like Orquesta Guayac?n (who is tremendous in their own right) and Grupo Niche. The remakes here and there don't bother me at all. Try Alberto Barros, he also influenced Sonora Carruseles and his rhythms are amazing. Very Caribbean sounding and he fusions beats known as "salsa caribe?a".

The other Latin music you listen to is to my liking as well (not so much Ricky Martin).

Trina-

I agree. I think Angel and I have the same love for rhythms when comes to music and believe me for recommendations (at least what I listen to) I will give you honest feedback. Gilberto Santa Rosa is the pride of PR. Let me give you some warning if you ever go dancing in San Juan or Santurce Puerto Rico be prepared. Gilberto Santa Rosa... toda la noche.

Ricardo900-

You seem to be quite on the mellow side. Bolero and balada are nice too. You have some interesting picks.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Lesley D said:
Ricardo900-

You seem to be quite on the mellow side. Bolero and balada are nice to. You have some interesting picks.
-LDG.
I Luuuuvvv Boleros and Baladas, especially from:
Juan Gabriel
Ana Gabriel
Pablo Montero
Jose Jose
Joan Sebastian
Banda El Recodo
Vincente Fernandez & Son
Pepe Aguilar - "Por Mujeres Como Tu"

Juan Gabriel is the best, too bad for his slip and fall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6_Qz8qB2sA&search=juan gabriel fall

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
M.a.r-

"Si no te tengo" (que se me venga el mundo encima) is by Raulin but 2 albums ago.

That song is on the album with same title.

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is a recent article about Raulin R-

30 de abril de 2006. Entrevista con sabordominicano.com

'Cuando yo estoy en la tarima me transformo. Yo trato de hablar con la gente y hago mi trabajo, aunque se me ve la timidez eso no impide que yo lleve esta vida de artista'.- Raulin R

Entrevista

Trina-

Did you listen to the cd yet? I would like to hear your thoughts.

-LDG.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Firstly, Raulin definitely does not disappoint with his latest release. I listen to this album over and over, and I especially love the songs "Buena Suerte", "Se Me Salen las Lagrimas", the title track, and "Guantanamera". You are right, it is really a gem and a treasure to add to anyone's music collection.

Secondly, I read the interview on sabordominicano's website - I like their new format, but it takes quite a while to load, which I've unfortunately lost a little patience with lately. I must say, I really liked Raulin before, but this album, coupled with the interview I read, has brought him to a higher level on my scale. Superb artist, I am sure his career is really going to climb to new heights.

Thanks again, Lesley, for bringing this album to our attention.

Lesley D said:
30 de abril de 2006. Entrevista con sabordominicano.com

'Cuando yo estoy en la tarima me transformo. Yo trato de hablar con la gente y hago mi trabajo, aunque se me ve la timidez eso no impide que yo lleve esta vida de artista'.- Raulin R

Entrevista

Trina-

Did you listen to the cd yet? I would like to hear your thoughts.

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina-

For the past two weeks I have waited patiently before asking you because I wanted you to enjoy it the way I do without influencing your choices of favorite songs in anyway. However, I can see "Se me salen las l?grimas" caught your attention. That song was the one that did it for me but as I continue to listen to the album, the lyrics, the beats and the instruments two others songs really hold a candle in my opinion. Song #6 - Flor p?lida and #7 Que vuelva. Pay close attention to the symbolism in Flor p?lida.

Hats off to Raulin. He may be shy as he said "se me ve la timidez" but his humility makes him an exceptional bachatero IMO.

-LDG.
Keep listening, keep enjoying it.

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have been listening to the new cd non stop. At first i had some issues with some of the synthed stuff...but it works for me now.

on my first listen thru que vuelva was my immediate fav. But i love cuts 1 & 2, and the rest of the cd.

Did you know that Buena Suerte is orignianly a reggea song? I didnt realize that myself till a jamaican friend was over and i was dancing around the apt.

I give my hat to casilda for her solo...i love her on the back ups...and it's cool that raulin gave his sister her own song...but she sounds nervous and stiffled....perhaps next time a solo verse in a song rather than a whole number.

are there any female bachateras?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
You guys should become like music reviewers or something. You're all good!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Jrzyguy-

I am glad you added your opinion about the CD because everyone interprets music differently.

In Casilda's defense, she naturally has a high pitch voice which may come across as her being nervous but she is not new in her career as a singer. Casilda just never received recognition as a female bachata singer. She has two albums of her own which are extremely hard to get.

In the 90's I had sampled her music on a compilation cd and I liked her style and from then on my pursuit began to find the albums the songs were on. I had no luck so I decided to write a letter to the distributor Platano Records and the response was positive and well received. The owner sent me her debut cd plus samples of other artists on the Platano Record label. I thought that was an incredible gesture. Her second album was also given to me by a record store owner who knew I was looking for the cd. One day I went to the store to get a cd by Los Toros Band and she said to me "tengo una sorpresa para ti" and I did not know what to expect. It was Casilda's second album as a gift. Again another nice gesture. This world has some unique and kind people.

In terms of female bachateras there aren't many however two that I think are extremely talented and have a future if they continue to sing are Valeria (founded by Luis Vargas) and Vanessa Gil. They both have very strong voices and can definitely hold their own.

Thanks El Tigre!

-LDG.

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i guess i would have to hear more of her i guess. I certainly didnt think she sounded bad on her solo. On this ONE song tho...she doesnt display the emotion, range and charisma as her brother does on the rest of the cd. .IMO...it sounds like she is singing matter-of-factly. THis disapointed me cuz when i saw she had her own track i was excited.

Who knows..not every raulin track hits me right off the bat...but then certain songs i dismissed at first really grow on me and become my favs.

I have to google santo domingo blues again. I remember there was an older woman solo singer listed in the credits. I would be interesting in hearing a womans take on such a traditionaly masculine genre.

oh..the one thing i forgot to meantion on the previous. When i first listed to the cd..i meantioned the synth stuff got to me..but then after a few listenings i realize he's "popping" things up a bit and making it a bit more contemporary.

anyhoo..i think we all agree that the album is great...i have it on conitnuous play on my ipod while walking around the city.

Soooo...when is he going to play here in the area again?????!!!!

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I saw Raulin, cd last week, while I was looking for another one, didn't buy either one., Now I have to go buy the cd. Sounds like a good one.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Lesley D said:
One day I went to the store to get a cd by Los Toros Band and she said to me "tengo una sorpresa para ti" and I did not know what to expect. It was Casilda's second album as a gift. Again another nice gesture. This world has some unique and kind people.
-LDG.

Don't give yourself too little credit. People often treat as they are treated. I agree, though, kind gestures in both experiences.