Dominican Boxer Guzman wins again

On the undercard of the Mayorga vs Del a Hoya match.

Dominican boxer Joan Guzman outboxed veteran Javier Jauregui over ten rounds of intense action. Guzman, fighting for the third time at junior lightweight, was unable to knock his opponent out.

The three official ringside judges heavily favored Guzman and awarded him with a lopsided unanimous decision victory by the margins of 99-91 and 100-90 (twice).

Guzman, who soared to 25-0 (17 KOs),

I watched the evenings matches and was very impressed with this guys skill levels, one to watch in the future.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
He looked good, but is he a fighter?
A little too much show boating for my tastes.

De La Hoya... Now that's a boxer!

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
I'm a bit of a boxing buff... well, more like obsessed. I had a chance to see Joan fight in person back in August at the Westchester County Center in NY, and it was just a great performance just like this one against Jauregui.

Anyway, Joan is a supremely skilled boxer. He's very crafty and is nearly impossible to hit. He has high number of knockouts (17), and he used to be called 'El Pequeno Tyson' for that reason. However, as he's moved up from 121 to 130 lbs it seems as if he hasn't taken the power with him as his last 4 fights have went to the scorecards and been decisions. Lopsided ones at that.

For a buff like me, watching this guy is incredible. For casual fans however, if he continues to have these lopsided decisions but not knock guys out, he's going to be number 1 - a guy that nobody wants to fight because they can't look good against him, and number 2 - a guy that won't sell tickets because he's not going to get hit and beat up and bloody and then KO somebody (a la Arturo Gatti).

Anyway, for his career info: http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=58717