What's the best area of the North Coast to visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
I have been following this section of the forum since having joined, and I've read a lot of good things about Sosua and Cabarete.

I stayed in Playa Dorada, and found it to be pretty boring. I'd like to hear from somebody who has been to both Sosua and Cabarete, or perhaps somewhere else I'm not mentioning.

I'm just curious about the highlights of each.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
blitz said:
I stayed in Playa Dorada, and found it to be pretty boring. I'd like to hear from somebody who has been to both Sosua and Cabarete, or perhaps somewhere else I'm not mentioning.

Probably has been asked before but it will be answered again with no problem. First, what do you like to do? I have been to Carerete and Sosua and they are the same and they are quite different. I would think more different than the same so a little more details of what you are looking for will help.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
blitz said:
I have been following this section of the forum since having joined, and I've read a lot of good things about Sosua and Cabarete.

There only 10 km. apart - do both!!

Gregg

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Cabarete & Sosua

Cabarete & Sosua are the two best choices, and definitely NOT boring.
Cabarete is smaller and is geared to the young sporty crowd, mostly windsurfers, while Sosua is more versatile, with better swimming, snorkeling & diving and cheaper food & accommodations.

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
I have an interest in trying kiteboarding, but it wouldn't be the focal point of my trip. I could definately do a day trip to one and stay in the other, my question is which is the best to STAY in.

As far as my interersts: I am intrigued by all the amazing restaurants (from what I hear) and nightlife/clubs in general as well. Also, which has the best beach? Is it a big difference between the two? I was pretty disappointed by Playa Dorada, after having been to Punta Cana.. The problem with Punta Cana.. there's nothing to do, Plaza Bavaro just doesn't cut it! I'll return to Puerto Plata gladly for that reason alone.

Rocky: When you say Sosua has cheaper accomodations, do you mean other than AI?

Thanks guys..

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
blitz said:
I have an interest in trying kiteboarding, but it wouldn't be the focal point of my trip. I could definately do a day trip to one and stay in the other, my question is which is the best to STAY in.
The kiteboarding beach is closer to Cabarete than Sosua, but the two towns are only 10 minutes apart by car, 15 by public transport.

blitz said:
As far as my interersts: I am intrigued by all the amazing restaurants (from what I hear) and nightlife/clubs in general as well.
I'm not sure which town has more restaurants or nightlife. Both have lots.

blitz said:
Also, which has the best beach?
If you are a windsurfer, you would answer Cabarete. If you are a swimmer, Sosua.

blitz said:
Is it a big difference between the two?
Very different. Cabarete beach faces into the East and into the wind, so the water churns up the sand near the shore, whereas the main Sosua Bay beach is tranquil and facing into the West.

blitz said:
I was pretty disappointed by Playa Dorada, after having been to Punta Cana..
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

blitz said:
The problem with Punta Cana.. there's nothing to do, Plaza Bavaro just doesn't cut it! I'll return to Puerto Plata gladly for that reason alone.
Areas like Punta Cana, with all their All Inclusive hotels, far away from everything & anything, are for newly-weds & nearly-deads.

blitz said:
Rocky: When you say Sosua has cheaper accomodations, do you mean other than AI?
Absolutely.

If you want to mingle with young sporty tourists, Cabarete could be a better choice.
If you want to meet an interesting expat community and mingle with some of the locals, Sosua would be the choice.
It can take you longer to get out of a shopping plaza, into your car, than to go from Sosua to Cabarete, so you need not worry about which you choose.
Reserve a room in one or the other, for one night, then go see youreself which you prefer.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
If you are looking for the nicest tropical environment : Las Terrenas and its surroundings !!!

It is simply the most beautifull area of the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.