Barahona and San Jose de Ochoa

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi,

I am planning to go to the south coast for a couple of days. Planning to stay one night in St:eek: Domingo, one in san Jose de ochoa and probably two in Barahona. I know where to go, stay etc. in the capital, but have no clue about San Jose de Ochoa or Barahona. Where to stay, where to eat and what to do? Any inpiration highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's San Jose de Ocoa, and I've heard there is a nice place to stay there called Rancho Francisco. I don't have the details and would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows this place, is it still open, etc.

In Barahona there are several options, including one on the coast past the town, the Gran Marquiz, before you reach the village of Baoruco, which looks like caba?as from the outside but isn't.

Barahona hotels and restaurants:

Hotel Costa Larimar
809 524 5111
Av. Enriquillo #5, Malec?n

Hotel Caribe
809 524 4111
Av. Enriquillo # 27,Malec?n

Hotel Gran Marqu?z
809 524 5030
Carretera Para?so #3, al lado de Hielo Everest

Hotel Barahona
809 524 3442
Calle Jaime Mota # 5

Eating out
Restaurant Punta Inglesa at Hotel Caribe

Restaurant Los Robles
Ave. Enriquillo esq. Nuestra Sra. del Rosario
Tel. (809) 524 1629

Restaurant Costa Sur
Ave. Enriquillo opposite Costa Larimar
(809) 524 5053

Edited to add: see http://dr1.com/travel/barahona/

Last edited:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Thank you for the info, although I was more interested to know "good" places, good value. I am on a tight budget... :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
All the places listed are low to middle range. There are no expensive places in the southwest that I know of.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Barahona

Close to Barahona I would recommend the appart hotel Pontevedra (Bahoruco) where the food is not bad, very quiet, nice pools and huge rooms (room is not the real word, should say appartment). It is located just on the main road to Pedernales (10 minutes from Barahona). We stayed there a couple of times and were very satisfied. Included in the price of the room you have the dinner and the breakfast.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A friend stayed at Pontevedra recently and thought it was very good value.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Estrella1 said:
Close to Barahona I would recommend the appart hotel Pontevedra (Bahoruco) where the food is not bad, very quiet, nice pools and huge rooms (room is not the real word, should say appartment). It is located just on the main road to Pedernales (10 minutes from Barahona). We stayed there a couple of times and were very satisfied. Included in the price of the room you have the dinner and the breakfast.

So what was the price?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Pontevedra last summer was 1,050 RD for one and 1,800 RD for two. You can call for the current rates. 809-341-8462. It is nice there.

Another option in Barahona is the Hotel Costa Larimar. This is an AI on the ocean. You do not have to take the AI. I stayed there and payed 1,008 RD (including all tax) for a week last August. Just tell the girl at the desk you do not want any meals. You can pay of course for any meals you eat. This rate was for one. For two they wanted 1,800RD. This place is very nice. I gave the front desk girl a propina and had a corner room with balcony overlooking both the pool and the ocean. You might need a Cedula to get this price, but you can try.

Hotel Costa Larimar 809-524-5111. They have a web site also.

For food, there is a seafood restaurant run by a local guy named San Juan that is great. Whole fresh fish for about 150 RD. Lobster is also great and cheap. You go out of the Larimanr and go right about 2 km. I don?t know the name, or even if it has a name, but it is a large round place with the typical grass hut roof. At night there will be no one there, but don?t worry it will be good. They do most of their business in the day.