Albert Pujols

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Here is a man that all Dominicans can be proud of both on the field and off the field. Like someone said while I was watching him play "they don't make guys like this anymore" and I couldn't have said it better. This guy is a true role model. If anyone does a little research about what this guy is like off the field and what he does for those in need you'll see what I'm talking about. This guy is truely the best on the field and off the field. What a character!

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Steve Pindar said:
Albert Pujols is by far the best player in MLB. I coach little league and often use him as the role model the kids should pattern themselves after.

Very very very true.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
DR_DEFENDER said:
Here is a man that all Dominicans can be proud of both on the field and off the field. Like someone said while I was watching him play "they don't make guys like this anymore" and I couldn't have said it better. This guy is a true role model. If anyone does a little research about what this guy is like off the field and what he does for those in need you'll see what I'm talking about. This guy is truely the best on the field and off the field. What a character!
I agree, both on and off the field, he seems to be the real deal. It would be great to see him hit 60 (or more) home runs this season.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
In time!

rellosk said:
I agree, both on and off the field, he seems to be the real deal. It would be great to see him hit 60 (or more) home runs this season.
Give him time.

If someone out there can hit 60+ homers, that would be Pujols.

The guy, in my opinion, can be compared with the great ones. I mean compared with the great one's first 5 years.

His numbers, the first 5 years, are better than SOME of the great ones, including "Steroids Bonds".

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Does anyone know when Albert Pujols will be a free agent?

I want the Red Sox to sign him so that we can make the Yankees' season much much shorter. :cheeky: ;)

Ortiz
Manny
Pena
Pujols

Now THAT would be a dream come true.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
80?

80 with no juice?

I read somewhere that he's currently on pace for 82 homeruns for 2006.

Highly unlikely, but he could if given the opportunity. He won't ever get there with the way the IBB is used nowadays.

He's Bonds, but human (not "human growth hormone").

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Say Hey'Zeuss

aegap said:
From taking a look at his foundation, I got the impression his family is really into God
Yes.
Every interview I've seen him on - all fluffy - is all about Jesus.

I thought he meant some guy named "hayzuess" from the home country, but apparently not.

This will be the umpteenth time that God has led the league in homeruns.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
Aegap, thank you so much for including a link into Albert Pujols' foundation. I just looked it up. I appreciate so much the fact that he lives his faith in Jesus Christ on and off the baseball field especially by helping kids in need. A true role model. Aegap, thanks again. Bob

KL5

May 4, 2006
Im from the STL. We wont let him leave and he likes it here. The Card's willdo WHATEVER to keep him, plus we are a great Baseball City, always have been always will be.....come visit ;)

KL5

May 4, 2006
Not leaving the STL

Im from the STL. We wont let him leave and he likes it here. The Card's willdo WHATEVER to keep him, plus we are a great Baseball City, always have been always will be.....come visit

He gets paid great and does lots of community things here. I hear we have an increasing Dominican population as well.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
aegap said:
rellosk, what's your reasoning?
It's purely conjecture, but...

(1) He's comfortable playing there. I don't think he wants to switch to a "high pressure" market like NY or Boston.
(2) They are currently (and probably will be for the next few years) a competitive team.
(3) According to what I read in the press, he's well liked in St. Louis.
(4) St. Louis can afford to pay him a competitive (maybe not the highest) salary.

KL5

May 4, 2006
I said the same things rellosk said, but rellosk what is this “ high pressure” market you speak of? You think it’s easy to play here? Mark McGuire, Ossie Smith, shall I continue?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
KL5 said:
I said the same things rellosk said, but rellosk what is this “ high pressure” market you speak of? You think it’s easy to play here? Mark McGuire, Ossie Smith, shall I continue?
By "high pressure" I mean the constant barrage of reporters, and the fans immediate expectations of the players performance.

Many high profile players that have come to NY have said, even though they were warned, they never could have anticipated the number of reporters following their every move. Many of the high profile players that have come to NY have been booed after not performing after just a couple of weeks. Not all players are able to handle that pressure.

BTW, I agree with you that St. Louis is a GREAT baseball town, rich in history. It seems decade after decade, they put together competitive teams. If I'm not mistaken they may be 2nd or 3rd in WS appearances and/or victories.

Disclaimer: I'm sure Boston and/or St. Louis is just as high pressure as NY, but not living in those areas and reading the dailies, I have no knowledge of that.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I was very happy to see Pujols win the 2005 NL MVP. He deserved many more MVP awards during the Bonds' *cough* steroids *cough* era.