The New York Time on Pedro Martinez, Off The Mound

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
He's amazing.

Everytime I see that guy I'm amazed he can throw as hard as he can.

I see what Tommy Lasorda saw; an irascible little man.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
fast pitch and a very altruistic heart

I particularly like what he is doing for his town of Managuayabo - spending millions in things (such as schooling health and sports facilities) and making the government pitch in.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Cleef...

I met Pedro at a club in H-town years ago, and he was very humble and unpretentious, yet my so-called compatriota buddies from the Higuey-Houston narco heydays were walking around as if they were the stars of the evening.

I became a Pedro fan then, and I rooted for him as a Red Sox and now as a Met, two teams I really disliked in the past. Now I only hate the MFYs.

Go Cinci

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Darwin on baseball

something_of_the_night said:
I became a Pedro fan then, and I rooted for him as a Red Sox and now as a Met, two teams I really disliked in the past. Now I only hate the MFYs.

Go Cinci
Isn't human evolution amazing?

Thanks

Aegap - thanks for pointing out the article. It's great, and tells the story of the real Pedro and his wife, Carolina. For anyone who doesn't know her, she has been a very good influence on Pedro, and her Dad is a tremendous person, and someone whose baseball knowledge and background Pedro respects highly.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Nice article.

I am curious what Pedros contract with the Mets is....

Cleef?

Larry

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
5 years

Larry said:
Nice article.
I am curious what Pedros contract with the Mets is....

Cleef?
Larry
Marking about $15M this year, good for another 3 under the current contract. I wouldn't expect there to be much of an increase going forward.

He pined for time (years), not the increase in dollars. He was at/about $15M with the Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawx

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Cleef said:
Marking about $15M this year, good for another 3 under the current contract. I wouldn't expect there to be much of an increase going forward.

He pined for time (years), not the increase in dollars. He was at/about $15M with the Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawx

He better save some money. It's going to be tough when he retires but if he's put some money away he can buy a used passola and deliver for one of the colmados in Manoguayabo to make ends meet. ;)