Pico Duarte in August

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
I will be in August in Republica Dominicana and I would like to climb Pico Duarte.

Has anybody climb it in August?

What type of boots/equip would you recommend?

How and where did you got the permit and your guide?

Any information that you can provide, would be appreciated.

Saludos!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
You're in the mountains so be prepared. I've never climbed it but these are some general rules

-for every 100 meter you climb the average temperature will drop with 1?
celsius
-Take enough provisions with you to last the double of time you've planned
-Tell someone reliable where you're going, how you're going and the estimated time of return. (don't forget to inform this person that you're returned)
-Don't go alone
-Be prepared for the worst case scenario and have fun

Greetings

Johan

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
heldengebroed said:
You're in the mountains so be prepared. I've never climbed it but these are some general rules

-for every 100 meter you climb the average temperature will drop with 1?
celsius
-Take enough provisions with you to last the double of time you've planned
-Tell someone reliable where you're going, how you're going and the estimated time of return. (don't forget to inform this person that you're returned)
-Don't go alone
-Be prepared for the worst case scenario and have fun

Greetings

Johan

Johan, your suggestions... not even as a rule of thumb.

- "average temperature" does not drop 1? for every 100 meters. Considering that the mountain is 3300 meters high, this would suggest that the temperature drops 33? during the entire treck. Actually, you have colder temperatures near the bottom of the mountain, within the narrow valleys. Once I encountered a reading of 3? Celsius in Los Tablones, almost at the beggining of the trail, while at the top, in La Compartici?n, it was around 15?C. Of course, the time of day is determinant.

- If you take double the provisions, you'll be impractically weighted down...

- It is beyond common sense not to try this excursion all alone, by yourself.

- the worst case scenario, almost invariably, is incessant rain. The worst case scenario is always soggy weather.

My suggestion? Hire a guide and mules in La Cienaga de Manabao...

-

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
Gracias Johan and Mirador.

I am a female and I intend to do the trek with a male friend. If we find more people interested in joining that would be great because we could split the cost.

I thought it was compulsory to get a guide and a permit. Do you know any association of mountain guides that I could contact to make some pre-arrangements? I am a Spanish speaker.

From which city/village people usually begin the trek?

Would you take boots or trekking shoes?

Anyone who would like to join, pls PM me.

;)

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
Sorry Mirador! :eek:

I forgot you mentioned "La Cienaga de Manabao". I just check it out and it is 30kms from Jarabacoa. Thank you for this piece of info. Now, I know where to start. :cheeky:

Jan 3, 2003
Mata Grande

Go to Santiago. Ask how to get to Mata Grande. I am not familiar with Santiago so in that respect I can't help you out. I arrived at Mata Grande from Mao. From Mao I crossed over to Moncion. From there I went over a deteriorated road to San Jose de las Matas and the road back towards Santiago there is a road leading to Mata Grande. I do know there are small vans going from Santiago to Mata Grande. Its a nice town full of lily white good looking dominicans (hehe had to put that in there) who are quite shy. You can hire a guide and mule. I remember a red haired middle aged man and his son.

I think it was the fall when I went. As we were escalating the mountain range, the weather was freezing cold. I do remember small frozen ponds of water and incessant rain at times. The view was spectacular. It's worth the trek but get familiar with the Cordillera Central region first. Pico Duarte is about 10,000 ft.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
heldengebroed said:
-for every 100 meter you climb the average temperature will drop with 1? celsius
The aviation rule of thumb is 1 degree celsius for every 1000' altitude.

My fiance has made the climb with her friends at SOECI in Santiago, where she is an officer. There are pics of a couple trips up Pico Duarte on their site; look in the "galeria" section: La Sociedad Ecol?gica del Cibao, Inc. (SOECI)

I anticipate making the climb in August, also, on a mule with a guide with provisions.

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
Onions/Carrots said:
It's worth the trek but get familiar with the Cordillera Central region first. Pico Duarte is about 10,000 ft.

Does people get altitude sickness while climbing? I have been above 15000ft. in Nepal. I also did Mt. Kinabalu in Borneo, and Pico Duarte looks similar in height and climate conditions to Mt. Kinabalu; in fact, the climb seems easier.

Did you get an official mountain guide or someone who knew the way up?

The view and the flora looks awesome. Hope it does not rain much in August.

Jan 3, 2003
It was a rocky road up

monsoon68 said:
Does people get altitude sickness while climbing? I have been above 15000ft. in Nepal. I also did Mt. Kinabalu in Borneo, and Pico Duarte looks similar in height and climate conditions to Mt. Kinabalu; in fact, the climb seems easier.

Did you get an official mountain guide or someone who knew the way up?

The view and the flora looks awesome. Hope it does not rain much in August.

I think it does rain heavily in August. But it was in spurts. The heaviest rain occurred at night. I swear it rained heavily throughout the night. I'm pretty sure that was the month but not absolutely sure. I have to check my records.

In Mata Grande I just asked around and this decent looking man and his son took me. The road up was only fit for a mule. Neither a jeep or a motorbike could make the trek. It's not a road but a thin sliver of rocky pathways alongside the mountains.

If you're scared of heights, don't even think of going up. Some people I went with only went halfway and returned out of fear. At points up, the mules would stop and try to determine where to place the proper footing to handle my weight and theirs. At times they would shake me as to tell me where I should place my weight properly. I was amazed at their intelligence.

The guide and his son did all the cooking. They were true mountain folks. Qyite skilled. The view was spectacular. That entire area is over 6000 ft in height which is quite nice. The immediate area of the heighest ranges are over 8000 ft.

Jan 3, 2003
I did see small frozen ponds of water

cobraboy said:
The aviation rule of thumb is 1 degree celsius for every 1000' altitude.

My fiance has made the climb with her friends at SOECI in Santiago, where she is an officer. There are pics of a couple trips up Pico Duarte on their site; look in the "galeria" section: La Sociedad Ecol?gica del Cibao, Inc. (SOECI)

I anticipate making the climb in August, also, on a mule with a guide with provisions.

I remember the spectacular views. Just go to the town of Mata Grande and forget the official guides. The locals are much more interesting and can tell you local stories dating centuries. Forget those canned cookie cutter excursions provided by large firms. It will kill the 19th century feel to going with someone from the town itself. Its also cheaper if you are on a budget. I took my time going so it was a week and half trip but you can do it in 4 days.