Punta rucia or la encenada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Does anyone knows how far is playa Punta Rucia or playa la encenada from sosua? I would like to visit them , I heard about them but don't seem to find any information on them. I hear its close to luperon..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Playa La Encenada and Punta Rucia is only about 5 minutes away from one another. From Sosua, you can go via Luperon, but I've never done that as I believe the road is defnitely only for a 4-wheel drive.

The road that I know, is to go from Sosua on the tunnel road to Santiago, pass the Luperon turnoff and take the next turn-off right towards Guananico - in the middle of the sugarcane fields. In some little town, you'll come across a bump in the road, diagonally across the road. Turn right at this bump, you cannot miss it. Carry on and somewhere you'll start finding little signs to Punta Rucia.

An easier way is to go toward Santiago and after the tunnel, instead of turning left toward Santiago, turn right to Navarette. Stay on that road, towards Monte Cristi ... at Villa Elisa (big signpost), turn right and follow the signs from there. This is the quickest and the best road, but also boring most of the way.

When you get to Playa La Encenada, eat at Elsa Comedor!

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Thank you ... chris !!! we love you !!! I will definetly get a bite to eat there too...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yeah, I would definitely allow for more than 2 hours. The tour companies take the road via Navarette as this is longer in distance, but quicker in time.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Thanks for the info,, we are going there from Sosua ..now the other question will be about lodging ?,, any idea in la encenada & punta rucia area.??

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Lodging is very limited and very basic. There is what we refer to as 'the German's place' but we all boycott him as he overcharges and is environmentally destructive. You can find his place at a sign in Punta Rucia that says 'paraiso' something. About $35 to $40 a night.

There is another hotel as you go into Punta Rucia - a few buildings with a cana roof - right opposite the one room school. You'll see it - it looks clean and neat. They are expensive and not great, but it is a place to sleep in the same price range.

Then there is a sweet little environmentally sound place, but you'll have to look for it. A frenchman runs it and his German lady's name is Gertie. Gertie does first aid stuff in the area for the local population. Here is how you get there... Drive from Punta Rucia to la playa encenada. Round about midway, you'll see a very vague white sign with with word 'rooms' on it in faded pink I think. Right behind the sign on the hillside, is a broken down structure, so most people ignore this little sign. The sign and the entrance is right opposite a very small gomeria - the only structure on that stretch of road. The fellow in the gomeria and the frenchman with his four rooms are friends, so you can ask at the gomeria for the frenchman's place whose lady's name is Gertie.

So, now you turn up this little road at the 'rooms' sign. When you get to the last place on this road, get out of your car and holler 'saludo!'. A stack of dogs will start barking and Gertie or the French fellow will welcome you grandly. Their rooms are very nice, very clean, but also basic. They offer breakfast and dinner as these are difficult to get at a good quality in Punta Rucia. Lunch has to be at Elsa at la playa encenada. (Ignore the lobster out of season and eat fish!) ;)

Forgot to say, if you're going there this weekend, let me know and we can have a beer!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Puerto Plata. But the sea is divided between Monte Cristi & Puerto Plata. One side has protected reefs and on the other side, we've just become a reef check site last weekend .. so that the other side can also be protected. Crazy business.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
so you seem to know alot about the place,,.. do you think its worth the trip. After having one week stay in sosua , we decided we want to explore around.. My husband has some relatives in santiago rodriguez/mocion and we are eventually heading in that direction towards mid week..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I saw on another post that you're heading to Moncion. It depends what you want. Both of these areas are unspoilt, beautiful and off the beaten track - but certainly into the hinterland. Glitz, glitter and chrome, certainly not ;) If you enjoy cultural experiences, yes go. If you enjoy swimming, beaches and snorkling, yes go. Both these areas are very different from Sosua and you'll hardly see anyone on holiday. Small towns, small business and tight communities with wonderfully friendly people.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Spelling police note: the jury is out on whether Punta Rucia is spelled with an 's' or a 'c', but La Ensenada is definitely with an 's'.

Ensenada means cove or inlet.

Rusia with an 's' means Russia, as in the country. Rucia with a 'c' can mean grey horse or white-haired person. Signposts in the area vary, but Rucia seems to be the accepted spelling, and our dear Hillbilly, who owns a house there and has been going there for donkey's years, spells it that way.

It is worth a visit, in my opinion, and I heartily second the Comedor Elsa recommendation.

See these two blog entries of a recent trip.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
It would be nice if Hillbilly see this post.. Maybe he will know more where the Frenchman with the German lady named Gertie is

Jan 5, 2006
Nyeden, I was in La Ensenada 10 days ago and traveled both routes, and I would definitely advise you to take the road through Navarrete and Villa Elisa, which is longer, but at least you'll be traveling on mostly flat dirt. The other route is almost unpassable, even in a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

IMO, it is an experience worth living, although my companions were split in their opinions. The beach is absolutely gourgeous and unspoiled, with clear water, fine sand and no waves. The route there, once you go past Villa Elisa is like traveling 30 years back into campo life in DR. We went there on a Thursday, and there were around 30 visitors there, including our group of 8.

One sad note is that the place is in serious need of some overlooking. There's a lot of garbage left behind by unthoughtful visitors. :(

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Hipocrito Mejia said:
Nyeden, I was in La Ensenada 10 days ago and traveled both routes, and I would definitely advise you to take the road through Navarrete and Villa Elisa, which is longer, but at least you'll be traveling on mostly flat dirt. The other route is almost unpassable, even in a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

IMO, it is an experience worth living, although my companions were split in their opinions. The beach is absolutely gourgeous and unspoiled, with clear water, fine sand and no waves. The route there, once you go past Villa Elisa is like traveling 30 years back into campo life in DR. We went there on a Thursday, and there were around 30 visitors there, including our group of 8.

One sad note is that the place is in serious need of some overlooking. There's a lot of garbage left behind by unthoughtful visitors. :(

Hipocrito,, where did you stayed at?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nyeden said:
It would be nice if Hillbilly see this post.. Maybe he will know more where the Frenchman with the German lady named Gertie is
No, he does not (or perhaps he does).. if you follow my directions, you'll get there .. truly ;) It is not hard as there is only a little gomeria there... very little else.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hipocrito Mejia said:

This is interesting. There still is a lot of garbage but if you look, it is fairly contained and not knee-deep all over the place as before. We have a environmental team of youngsters who cleaned up over Semana Santa. Unfortunately, the local syndico (because we refused to pay political homage), decided to slow down on removing the garbage. The community leaders are working with the syndico now, to smooth ruffled feathers.

As this is the first time that the community actually started cleaning up, there is a lot of different 'stake-holders' that believe they have to get something out of this. The politics in the DR is unbelievable.

Jan 5, 2006
Nyeden, we did not stay there overnight. We left the beach at around 8PM and headed back to Santiago.

Chris, the amount of garbage is not overwhelming, but it is very noticeable. If the vendors located at the beach were smart, they would clean up the beach themselves; which can be done by 4 people in one day; place 20 large garbage receptacles throughout the beach, and pay 1 man to oversee/empty the receptacles and rake the sea vegetation that washes up on the shore off the sand. They would then have an absolute jewel of a destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.