And now... a HardRock Cafe????

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
There is a new Hard Rock Cafe being installed in the square next to the Cathedral on the bottom of El Conde.

(sorry, just the news, no more comments from me.)

Good luck.

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
wait til you see a McDonald's, a Gap, and a Foot Locker !!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Onions/Carrots said:
The goal of American businesses is to make the whole world look and feel as boring as it does in the states.
That may be true to certain extent, but every single "American" franchise that you see outside the US is often owned by non-Americans.

-NALs

Jan 3, 2003
NALs said:
That may be true to certain extent, but every single "American" franchise that you see outside the US is often owned by non-Americans.

-NALs

I understand Nals. My point is converting the America look worldwide. What's the allure of Grand Cayman for a foreigner when it looks like Bayside in Miami? WOW, Wendy's, Hard Rock Cafe, Mc'D's, Walmart.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Supply and Demand...that's all there's to it. If the whole world were demanding more chimichurry stands that's what the world would be full of...

Personally I wouldn't mind having a few Walmarts, Lowes and Best Buys around the country. The fast food stuff I can do without...Ikea would be great...

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
suarezn said:
Supply and Demand...that's all there's to it. If the whole world were demanding more chimichurry stands that's what the world would be full of...

Personally I wouldn't mind having a few Walmarts, Lowes and Best Buys around the country. The fast food stuff I can do without...Ikea would be great...

there go the mom & pops stores :( :( :(

Jan 3, 2003
M.A.R. said:
there go the mom & pops stores :( :( :(

I mean what do you expect, Suazern is gringa. She and gringas like her need the DR to look like Benton, Indiana----boring.

Just kidding , Swazy, just kidding. Why are foreigners so sensitive?

un gancho

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Walmart and other american stores don't insure better prices. I notice that pricemart often has higher prices than supermarket nacional. Pricemart prices are almost twice as high as american comparable stores ex: costco.
So I don't expect walmart or any other american franchise stores to offer the same variety or prices as their american counterparts.
AZB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
AZB said:
Walmart and other american stores don't insure better prices. I notice that pricemart often has higher prices than supermarket nacional. Pricemart prices are almost twice as high as american comparable stores ex: costco.
So I don't expect walmart or any other american franchise stores to offer the same variety or prices as their american counterparts.
AZB

AZB,

Went to pricemart last time I was there. Remember that Uniden phone you saw at my aunt's house? The one that brings 3 sets??? Well in pricemart that phone goes for about 4,500 pesos. At 32 that's $140 bucks. Here in Costco I got her that same phone for $89 bucks. So yes - pricemart is WAY over priced!!!

Sep 20, 2003
One aspect of the DR that I really like is that it is not littered with Starbucks and McDonalds. I like the local resturants, the hole in the wall places where one can have nice meals at a good price. Those chain resturants serve overpriced hamburgers that taste like warm cardboard.

It is kinda strange, chain resturants in America like Applebees and TGIFridays spend so much time and money decorating the walls with framed baseball jersey's, old license plates, historic photos and things such as that to try to give the places a "local" feeling. It seems all they are really trying to do is copy the decor of the mom and pop resturants that they usually end up putting out of business once they arrive. A plastic, disposable culture.

The stationary stores, the books shops, small clothing stores, all that would be lost(not mention small business owners) if WalMart moved in. I enjoyed purchasing books in the Colonial Zone. One store I visited served everyone coffee and there were chairs and small tables where locals chatted about literature and I could speak with them about Dominican history. Why lose the charm? Why let the DR lose its unique charater to tawdry, American , cut rate, plastic gloom?

Once the bloom is off the flower, it is gone forever.

Jan 3, 2003
Globalization

joel pacheco said:
The stationary stores, the books shops, small clothing stores, all that would be lost(not mention small business owners) if WalMart moved in. I enjoyed purchasing books in the Colonial Zone. One store I visited served everyone coffee and there were chairs and small tables where locals chatted about literature and I could speak with them about Dominican history. Why lose the charm? Why let the DR lose its unique charater to tawdry, American , cut rate, plastic gloom?

It's called capitalism. Since we don't hav anything smaller than the peso its impossible to have the type of savings like in the US. In the DR all things are rounded off to the business owner's benefit. 1000, 10,000, 500, etc.

I know it does look so ugly, the American model.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
The sad part is...

...that most Dominicans associate Hard Rock with groups like Air Supply, Milly Vanilly, and probably N-Sync, B. Spears, and Enrique Iglesias.

Most Hard Rock Cafes display items donated by the musicians. But in the DR we will not see guitars by Heavy Metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, or even Metallica of AC/DC. Not even a Clarence Clemmons sax. Instead, we'll see posters of Man?, Juanes, and probably a guiro or two, and/or an accoustic guitar signed by two of the members of Aventura. But the usual suspects will surely be in attendance for opening night.

-The Kid

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
El Tigre said:
AZB,

Went to pricemart last time I was there. Remember that Uniden phone you saw at my aunt's house? The one that brings 3 sets??? Well in pricemart that phone goes for about 4,500 pesos. At 32 that's $140 bucks. Here in Costco I got her that same phone for $89 bucks. So yes - pricemart is WAY over priced!!!

Well you got to figure in shipping, customs, and taxes.......you have to compare locally not with US equivalents...however, I do agree that some items can be bought cheaper at Nacional. Some items have good prices at PriceSmart.

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
wow,

I for one welcome anything to the colonial zone that will help bring business to the area, which might add jobs and attract people and maybe convice the government that there is some value in maintaining the area and cleaning the streets. The area where the Hard Rock is has been a comercial area for a very long time, so i don't think the culture will suffer any more than if there were still a gift shop in the location. The residents rising property values will hopefully encourage them to maintain their buildings in the colonial zone, many of which are in disrepair, to preserve the area for those who wander around admiring them and pondering the area's history. This may also serve to bring more tourists and residents to the area who in turn might frequent the other "quaint shops" and restaurants with all their culturally appealing qualities, many of which are closing or in danger of closing due to the lack of business in the area. Those of you who appreciate or admire them should, rather than only commenting here or criticizing new businesses, should frequent them to insure their continued existence.

For those who don't know, there are Hard Rock Cafe's in wonderful cities throughout the world. I would guess that there are more outside the USA than in, but i am not sure. Certainly, there are many that have become part of the local culture in many different countries. I don't think they have ruined those cultures, not do i think they will ruin the Dominican Culture. They also always try to embrace some of the culture of their host country, which has I am sure been one of the secrets to their success.

For Onions and Carrots, if you are the same one who used to continually argue both sides of any point on the old board...Seems like you spent alot of time and alot of that inherited Mao produce money in the U.S., taking advantage of the schools and job opportunities and enjoying all the things the U.S. had to offer only to criticize capitalism and the "ugly American Model". You for one did not have to leave your farm, im sure you would have eaten well your whole life without the benefit of what the U.S. had to offer. Sorry you wasted all those years of your life "bored" in the U.S., but i'm sure we could have survived without you. Oh yea, you also could have spent your time in your own country trying to make things better here through politics, investing or developing Dominican businesses and thereby helping your own country maintain its identity. Well, didn't choose that either. Maybe you would not have had to go to Miami if they had a Hard Rock Cafe in the Cibao.

Rich

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Well...

I like HRC, but let's hope they keep it real. And that means no overpriced To?o Rosario t-shirts, no Tulile baseball caps, and certainly no Aventura posters for sale.

And if any of you people visits before me and observe anything, anything by Enrique Iglesias, then please let me know so I can avoid the joint. I'll be eternally grateful and forever in your debt.

-The Kid

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
If you want an overpriced shyty hamburger then u can go to these theme restaurants. In NY there are so many and the food is sooo bad and overpriced, I don't see the big deal about these restaurants.