So....Who won? (election day 2006)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It looks like both sides (the "pink alliance" and the PLD) are claiming victory, and that the issue that Mirador cited in his post yesterday is going to be used as one of the excuses for the confusion. It seems that a lot of voters were confused by the way the ballot papers were laid out, and many will have inadvertently voted for the wrong candidates. Also, turnout was very low, it seems.

In other words, business as usual.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tomorrow or this afternoon should clear things up. Voter turnout was off by at least 40-50%.
Given that reality, i would expect a major resurgence of the PLD, because they will get their prople to the polls. In Santiago, Dominguez Brito won handily.

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It obviously matters to some people. JCE site is off again, ClaveDigital hasn't got the TV site working & el Caribe is off-line!!

This could possibly be cpincidental (Yeah - like pigs fly!!) or it most likely is that they found so many errors by JCE that they are putting a new agreement of what SHOULD have happened together & trying to get all parties to agree to this pact!! We shall know when they WANT us to know ...... & not a moment earlier!! ~ Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
CyaBye3015 said:
As if it matters!!!

I think it matters. I would like to see what the PLD will do during the next two years in the majority. I think a lot of Dominicans do, too.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Actually, the PLD did not take on debt in its 1996-2000 government because it was minority in Congress and the loans it tried to pass did not get passed. That resulted in being a blessing for the country.

As Ken says, let's see what the PLD will do during the next two years in the majority. The PRD had majority during the Hipolito government, which meant the nation's foreign debt doubled -- mostly due to the taking on of dubious commercial bank loans, and deals like the buyback of the Union Fenosa ventures were approved. Now it will be up to the PLD to prove what it can do with majority in Congress.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Sosua, Vladamir (PLD) Sindico. PLD also won for Senador.Vargas. The PLD won about 20 of the 32 seats up for election. Basically they won big.

corazonpartioamor

Apr 28, 2006
Past Elections

Please excuse my ignorance, but wasn't there an election for President, where Leonel Fernandez won in May of 2004? How often do they have elections? is Leonel still the President?>

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Half term congressional and municipal election. To choose the legislators and mayors. Next presidential election is scheduled for 16 May 2008. Leonel will be President until 16 August 2008 unless he is re-elected in the 16 May 2008 election. He won the presidency in the 16 May 2004 election.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
SKY said:
In Sosua, Vladamir (PLD) Sindico. PLD also won for Senador.Vargas. The PLD won about 20 of the 32 seats up for election. Basically they won big.
Although your figures may be absolutely correct Sky, I note that the JCE (which is now up & running again) shows only 12% of Municipal votes have been checked & validated. The figure for the Congressionals is 11.59%!!!

Following Junta Central's strong message at the Press Conference last night that THEY alone are the voice of the actual results, be prepared that what you KNOW has happened in Sosua might well change if JCE want it to be different!! Like Ken & Dolores, I am excited about a possible PLD majority (hopefully fairly small so they have to keep on track) & am delighted to see the small print in the IMF recent document limiting the borrowing of this Administration - Someone NEW we were in for a turn-around obviously!!

The grapevine says there is a GOOD result in La Vega!! That must please my Old Mate Hillbilly!!!?? ~ Grahame.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Grahame,

I cannot speak for sure about the rest of the country, but I can for Sosua.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Presidental Elections

They are held every 4 years the same as in the USA..Last on 2004 next on 2008 and so on...I would favor Leonel Fernadaz again in 2008.....

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
santobonao said:
Dominican Politics stinks
As do politics in France, Britain, USA, Canada, Argentina, Venezuela ............... Heck, politics even stink in Russia & Cuba!!

In defense of the DR however, let it be known the DEMOCRACY is still only a short lived (45 years or so) experience here - not like Europe & USA where they have many years experience of screwing things up for the populace that vote them into power!! ~ Grahame.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
well I guess by now everyone is aware of the results and the significant victory of the PLD. pacheco's campaign, which cost him something like 79 million pesos, was, as those in the know foretold, a miserable failure (thank god) and one of the hotly contested races for the Senate, between Hernani Salazar and Am?lcar Romero, which I covered along with Panky Corcino for Clave Digital, turned into a resounding victory for the PLD. There was lots of shooting over in Salcedo, some in Moca, and in SF de Macoris we spent part of election day chasing various rumors about violent acts but witnessed only a few rather ridiculous events grossly exaggerated by the rumor mill. Meanwhile Hernani and his bodyguards were rushing around town desperately trying to muster last minute support, and in the process one of the Yipetas hit a youth who was taken to the hospital thereafter. During Election night the lights went out mysteriously in the JCE (while all around everything remained lit as well as the 2nd floor of the building). The military immediately beefed up its presence and even pulled in a few stray police and sailors. Nothing happened but the people delivering the vote had to wait on line for hours. In Salcedo families of both candidates -- Roquelin and Elido -- were victims of attacks with firearms, so the families were sequestered elsewhere on Election day. Salcedo proved to be a pretty hot little race, which provided an ironic contrast with the extremely nice people there and the beauty and orderliness of everything there (most beautiful Sam?n trees I have ever seen). Otherwise, all in all, one of the most orderly elections I have witnessed here.