How does Boca Chica look these days?

MONKEY

Apr 28, 2005
Hi All - I am planning my 6th trip to the Dominican Republic for Jan. 2007 - I will be celebrating my 40th birthday :ermm:

It has been almost 2 years since I have been to Boca Chica and I have seen many posts on how things have closed and etc . I am not much for the night life, but enjoy going to Calle Duarte for dinner, stopping for a few Presidentes and some shopping. Are there several restarants still open? like Italy, Italy?

I will be staying a the Hostal Zapata. I LOVE THIS PLACE....Martha and Roberto are great hosts.... I enjoy sitting at their Bar Hut, drinking Presidentes, talking to friends and visitors.

Is there a taxi company that I can secure a ride from the airport? That way someone is waiting for me? I think $20 is about what I have seen on the boards as a normal price. I am right?

Thanks~
...monkey

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Boca Chica 2006

Duarte ave is re-opening some of the old Discotects that were closed 2+ years due to underage Prostitution and drug dealing..Burbajas is the only Hot spot located in the Burbajes hotel..The old Route 66 re-opened under a new name and owner..Sweedish I believe...And most hotels are still there with 2004 prices.. A new Bar/distocet has recently opened called the American Bar in the Hotel Europa on Duarte..Full of Putas...Hope this info helps.......

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
The OP says he isnt much into nightlife....so there are still places on duarte at night (and not all catering to the working girls...and guys)

Much of duarte is now catering to more europeans and even families. The disco in the burbajes was dead when i was there in feb...and the place at the old routa 66 was packed (and very seedy...not in a fun way if you dont like keeping your hands in your pockets to make sure no-one is trying to pick your pocket.

The rest of duarte is open...but kinda sleepy. My favorite place was the little tipico (typico?) on the corner of duarte near the disco. (There is a photo in the photo gallary here). There i was able to hang out and share some presidente's & brugal with locals and tourists alike...without all the in-your-face of the disco.

IF you can locate one of the more animated locals...keep your eyes and ears open for juan..the local mute guy. He can sort of hear..but not speek...but is certainly entertaining (everyone in town knows him and many of the returning toursits adore him..in a nice way).

the rest of the strip is pretty much the same as a couple of years ago. A lot of europeans on vacation who arent looking for working girls.

Quite a few restaraunts have closed and a few new ones have opened in the past year. Fernando's (my old stand-by is still around) I believe italy italy is still around. The german place at bonita is back (prices have dropped..pretty good pizza and german food).

Boca chica has changed a bit...fewer hookers (but they are there)...a bit quieter at night...a bit more family friendly...but i still have fun when i go there.

MONKEY

Apr 28, 2005
Excellent info jrzyguy.......YES.... I know that corner spot ! ..... I will keep my eyes and ears open for juan, he sounds like a real character. I am counting the days already..and I can't wait to hang out with the locals and drink Presidente's. I am taking my partner there for the frist time.....I know we will have a blast !

~monkey~

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
zak023 said:
..Burbajas is the only Hot spot located in the Burbajes hotel
This place has been dead for quite some time possibly beacuase they charge quite a bit more for their drinks than other places.
zak023 said:
..The old Route 66 re-opened under a new name and owner..Sweedish I believe...
New name, same owner, although I believe he has a partner.

To the OP: If you had a good time 2 years ago, you will find things are just about the same as they were then.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Burbujas is dead as reported last weekend.

I am told the white haired Ralph Lauren looking french guy is re-opening a disco.

MONKEY

Apr 28, 2005
....any thoughts on my Taxi question? Also, does anyone know Martha and Roberto from Hostal Zapata?

Thanks,
~monkey~ (she) ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MONKEY said:
....any thoughts on my Taxi question?
No need to prearrange for a taxi, just grab one at the airport. It should cost $22 to BC, unless they've raised prices again. Ask before you get in the cab.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
So how's the lagoon in BC? Has it turned into a cesspool yet? I heard the river that empties into it is highly polluted.

vera

May 23, 2006
The beach water smells sometimes, yet there is something magic about it, I hate the general environment there, but I can be there and not bothered by anybody :) and then it works.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've been to Boca Chica four times the last 1.5 years. Compared to the rest of the country, BC just creeps me out. The people there seem surly, unsmiling, and always on the make-and I include many of the tourists too. It's about the only place where my spider senses goes into "extreme alert"...

Opinions vary...

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
how do u think it would be to open up a bar in boca chica now/SAY the shark bar #2. or something like rockys

COTTON

Oct 4, 2005
Just got back, Boca Chica is back up and running.Burbajas is closed,the club in old route 66 is jam packed with chicas and Cosmos is suppose to open thursday or friday.