Cell phone to use in the DR and at home?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was in Washington Heights shopping for a cell phone to use in the DR as well as in NYC and the guy was not much help. He was too busy ogling the chicas who came into the store after me so I left.

I really don't want a phone with a plan attached to it, as I really don't have use for one. So I was looking to use one with those pre-paid cards that are so popular in the DR.

Do I need to get one with a SIM card that I can just change at any Orange store once I get to the DR? What about the number that I would have on it for home?

If someone can explain this to me without being sarcastic it would be much appreciated.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Well, you have two choices. If you go with a cell phone that has a sim card (Cingular or T-Mobile, for example) you will be able to switch sims here and have an Orange phone number.

If you purchase a Verizon or a Sprint phone, make sure that it has two NAMS and make certain that you know which NAM is activated in the US. When you are here, switch to the other NAM (simple process) and take the phone to Verizon or Centennial (Verizon is usually better) and get it activated prepaid here.

My cell is activated in both the US and DR, and has both numbers on it. I simply switch between NAMs when I travel.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
All you need is an unlocked phone. Least complicated is an unblocked Cingular or T-Mobile phone. Then if you have two SIM cards, one for the US and one from Orange for when you are in the DR, all you have to do is switch the SIM card when you change to the other country and buy the pre-paid card for that country.

You will likely have two numbers, one that you get from Orange and one that you get with the service provider you are using in the US.

I just bought an unlocked Cingular phone for a good price on eBay and am now using it with an Orange SIM card. Before going to the US in July, I will put in the Cingular SIM card I ordered online from Walmart (I could also have bought one on eBay) and after putting it in will activate the phone with Cingular, using their pre-paid card while in the US. When I return to the DR a few weeks later, I'll put the Orange SIM card back in the phone and return to Orange service.

Cocoaness

Apr 17, 2006
I'll be in Dr for less than 4 days...wouldn't it make more sense to me to buy a calling card instead of a phone or a sim.

(I use Cingular here in NY)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Cocoaness said:
I'll be in Dr for less than 4 days...wouldn't it make more sense to me to buy a calling card instead of a phone or a sim.

(I use Cingular here in NY)

If your Cingular phone is unlocked, you can use it here with an Orange SIM card. But if you are only here for 4 days and don't require the convenience of a cell phone, yes, it makes more sense to buy a regular phone card and call from a Verizon office or some other phone that lets you use the card.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
I was told today by cingular that my razor will work there but it is 1.99 per minute. Is this true/

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sbsuib said:
I was told today by cingular that my razor will work there but it is 1.99 per minute. Is this true/

If your phone is unlocked so that you can use an Orange SIM card, you can buy one of the Orange prepaid cards. The charge is going to be more than that for calls you make. There is no charge here for outgoing calls. According to the Orange website, they charge users of prepaid cards RD$0.13 per second, except the charge is RD$0.10 per second for calls to other orange phones. Both are plus taxes.

The charge is the same for calls you make to the US. You will not be charged for calls from US to your cell phone.

If your phone is unlocked so that you can replace the Cingular SIM with the Orange SIM while you are here, then Cingular will no be involved in your calling at all.

Last edited:

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
cingular

so i go to orange right away and get a sim card and prepaid card? how much is the sim card? Thanks

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Have the phone "Unlocked" for free @ Cingular in NYC or pay @ Orange in the DR.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Orange Sim

sbsuib said:
so i go to orange right away and get a sim card and prepaid card? how much is the sim card? Thanks
Yhe Orange SIM card will cost $300RDP and include 100 units of call time. Chuckuindy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If your phone is a Cingular phone that you got free or at a very cheap price because you bought the Cingular plan, than it is most likely locked by Cingular so that you can't use it with any other service provider. You have to get it unlocked. If you didn't buy it for free or for a special price from Cingular, it is probably not locked.

If it is locked, go here http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=captaincaveman&hl=en-US&hl=en&q=Unlocking Cingular cell phone

There is lots of info on the internet, as you know, including how to unlock most cell phones available in the US, including those of Cingular.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
La Profe_1 said:
My cell is activated in both the US and DR, and has both numbers on it. I simply switch between NAMs when I travel.
Can switch the NAM yourself, or do you need to go through your provider?

Also, how do you find out if your phone has two NAMs?